Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Community Forums > General Hi-Lo camper discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 05-01-2013, 08:29 AM   #1

Unhappy Large stain that looks like oil on cement under trailer??

HI all!!
I just purchased a new tow vehicle and moved the Hi LO for the first time since it was delivered to me by the previous owner.

I noticed a large stain on the cement--looks like oil--but would have to be something else.

Didn't get a chance to take a photo.

Does anyone have an idea of what the trailer could be leaking?

Hydrauic fluid??

My first camping trip is in 10 days!! Nervous!!

OH, and all the lights are not working. Praying that it is just a bulb.

1987 Hi-Lo FunChaser
2006 Chevy Silverado
SeaGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #2

My first guess would be hydraulic fluid from the lift system. The cylinder may be leaking. Could you tell if it was under the front or the middle of the trailer. If it is just a slow seep it is probably okay. Keep an eye on the fluid level in the reservoir when the top is down. It should be about an inch below the filler hole.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
gus

What else is there beside hydraulic fluid, they don't have conventional brake systems. The light bulbs are easy to replace, a screw driver is all you need to access them, standard bulbs found at
auto parts store.
gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:20 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus View Post
What else is there beside hydraulic fluid, they don't have conventional brake systems. The light bulbs are easy to replace, a screw driver is all you need to access them, standard bulbs found at
auto parts store.
Could be a water leak, perhaps containing some winterizing anti-freeze? But, I agree with Rich, it's probably hydraulic fluid from the lift mechanism.

SeaGypsy you need to crawl under the trailer and look for the source of the leak. It will cause a wet area, similar to the way an oil leak will appear under a motor vehicle. Look carefully in the vicinity of the hydraulic ram that controls the cables. You might find a simple connection that can be tightened.

- Jack
Old 05-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
gus

Jack, water mixed with antifreeze does not resemble anything like hydraulic fluid, hydraulic fluid has the same consistency as transmission oil, in fact transmission oil is best substitute for hydraulic fluid. something is leaking and it could be lift cables rubbing against the solid hydraulic line and over time it can score the line, or seal in the ram is leaking.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #6
sam

Default Leaking

Put a piece of cardboard under the leak to help you identify what it is. Hate to tell you this,but just trying to help. One time we lost all our lights in the main section of the trailer. DH called or HiLo dealer. He had to rewire from the converter then drilled a hole under the cupboard to feed the wire in and the connected to the light wire in the cabinet. When we did our restoration we found a broken rusted wire. This is why we lost our lights. We chose to leave the wire external in case we had problems again. I can take a picture if you would like. I truly hope it is something simpler.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Jack, water mixed with antifreeze does not resemble anything like hydraulic fluid, hydraulic fluid has the same consistency as transmission oil, in fact transmission oil is best substitute for hydraulic fluid. something is leaking and it could be lift cables rubbing against the solid hydraulic line and over time it can score the line, or seal in the ram is leaking.
Sorry Gus, I know they are quite different, but SeaGypsy's description did not really rule anything out. I was only trying to think of something that may not dry immediately and antifreeze came to mind. Now, I also don't have any idea if the "food safe" antifreeze we use in our trailers has the non-evaporative properties of ethylene glycol, so my thought may have been totally off the mark.

I was simply trying to think of anything besides a hydraulic leak that it could have been.

Anyway, I stand by my advice to crawl under the trailer for a peek, and SeaGypsy, I apologize if anything I said was confusing.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:39 PM   #8

The "leak" could be nothing more than spilled fluid from servicing the hydraulic reservoir. Don't ask how I know this.
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:19 PM   #9
gus

I agree with jack, the best thing is to look under the trailer and visually see the source of the leak, the last thing sea gypsey needs is breakdown hundreds of miles away from home, and usually that is the case unless you go thru inspecting the trailer few days before your trip, sometimes you can get lucky, on our last trip I inflated the tires before we left, 400 miles later I parked it in the driveway, and yesterday one of the tires was flat, checked the tire for nails, nothing, filled it up with air, and it was leaking at the valve stem, was glad it didn't happen at the trip, got it replaced at tire shop. I am curious where the leak will be coming from, Norton, how do you know where you think it is, if I may ask?
Old 05-01-2013, 10:04 PM   #10

Quote:
... Norton, how do you know where you think it is, if I may ask?
I am suggesting that it may not be a leak. I spilled a bit of fluid while filling the reservoir. This puddled under the reservoir and slowly dripped out the battery/pump box. The previous owner could have done the same thing

Raul
Old 05-02-2013, 09:20 AM   #11
gus

Raul, that is true.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:27 AM   #12

It should be easy to find a hydraulic leak by raising and lowering the top a couple of times. Also might be a leak from the black water, gray water or fresh water tanks. When buying a used unit you need to know the tanks are in good condition. I did have to repair leaks in two of my tanks after buying it. Finding this in a RV park on your first trip is not fun. Fill your tanks with water to check this out before going out on your trip.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:35 PM   #13

Don't be surprised if the leak magically goes away. Hydraulics that sit for a long time often leak as a result of seals relaxing a bit. This is particularly true with the seals on hydraulic cylinders. Once pressure is applied and they are cycled a few times things may go back to normal.

Raul
Old 05-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #14

Default Thanks!

Thanks everyone. I am just going to take the trailer to an RV repair place on Monday to look at the leak and awning that I posted about somewhere on this forum. The leak will have to be fixed right away. I'm checking bulbs tomorrow to rule that out for the electrical. This awning is confusing!! It's by Capri. Google doesn't help me. Hopefully the RV place can. Wish I had a rent-a-husband!! Lol.

1987 Hi-Lo FunChaser
2006 Chevy Silverado
Old 05-06-2013, 12:41 AM   #15
sam

Default Trailer repairs

Sea Gypsy, I wish I lived closer to you. DH would come over and help you out free of charge. I'm about as far as you can get in Niagara Falls,NY. Post again if you need any help.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:49 AM   #16
sam

Default Just a thought

If your repair place isn't that familiar with HiLos they can call Jay Simon at Mantelli trailer sales. 1-716-625-8877. 20plus yrs. of HiLo experience. Jay is the parts manager. It is nice to have a plan "B" available to you.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #17

Unhappy It's the hydraulic fluid...

But they can't fix it for me because they can't find anyone in our town that knows how to fix it!??

They told me to put a pan underneath where it's leaking and pour it back in and reuse it.

1987 Hi-Lo FunChaser
2006 Chevy Silverado
Old 05-09-2013, 12:16 AM   #18

How much fluid is leaking out when cycling the lift.
replacing the hydraulic ram is a dirty job, but not rocket science. Anyone with any mechanical aptitude can do it.
Costs $300 for new hydr. ram from j&r enterprises.
Nice to have the trlr in the up position to do the repair.

replacing the fluid lost is acceptable alternative if lift works OK, for a quick fix.
Use and fix during off season.
Uses dextron atf fluid. Check the pump well when in the down position and fill to 1" below overflow. Keep atf in TV to top off as needed.

hth
steve
kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:29 AM   #19
Site Team

I can't believe they don't know how to fix it. This is not some new technology. And, I think the advice to reuse "leaked out" fluid is totally wrong. Please, refill any loss with clean Dextron fluid from a sealed container. You do not want to add contaminants to the hydraulic system.

Personally, I'd take the trailer someplace else. Any competent mechanic should be able to fix most problems.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:07 AM   #20
gus

I agree with jack, these people sound like idiots for suggesting using leaked fluid to pour it back in, tell them, the fluid is called transmission fluid, do they even know where the leak is and how much? Another member suggested it could be from sitting around for too long and seals do dry, they have additives for transmission leaks and they are not expensive, cheaper than replacing expensive parts and see if it works.

« Good News | Help!! »