Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 05-24-2013, 10:53 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95
Unhappy Leaving Hi Lo forum

I am sorry to say that the latest hailstorm that came through here two weeks ago did a number on our home and our Hi Lo. We will be replacing our house's 2nd roof in 2 years courtesy of hailstones up to the size of oranges or grapefruit. The Hi Lo had all the vents, skylight and AC cover literally destroyed. One good thing of note is the extensive roof repairs I did using the web seal tape and Kool-white elastomeric paint held up very well and there were no leaks other than the vents and AC. The dealer has already ordered repair parts and he agreed to give the roof another 2 coats of Kool-white from the 3-gallons I have remaining.

We got a fair settlement for both and we have decided that we will sell our Hi Lo and have already purchased a used Class "C" Motorhome. We are taking our HiLo to the dealer next week to pick up the MH and he is going to make the repairs on the Hi Lo and put it and my beloved 2000 Ford F250 4x4 Diesel on his sales lot and try to sell them as a companion set. What is so sad is that I have been out a lot of money on both having bought all new tires and [4] new batteries for both units just in the past few months. I just had the transmission flushed and new fluid and filter as well as flushing and replacing the coolant in the radiator, not to mention the oil/filter changed this week.

Then I discovered yesterday that the MH [which is a low mileage 2005 Coachmen Freedom model on a chevy chassis and gasoline powered] still has the original tires on it manufactured in 2004. So now we have to buy a set of six new tires right off the bat. It is equipped with an on-board generator that has never had the oil changed, but, it has only 55 hours of run time on the meter. My first project is to change the oil and do maintenance on it.

My wife has health issues and while our truck is very dependable and gets super mileage, the ride is such a discomfort to her that she does not enjoy the 'getting to and coming from' part of our outings. The kidney she had removed 5 years ago has left her in constant pain and the Ford has a typical 4x4 ride which agitates her pain even more. We drove the chevy and it was very comfortable for her, plus, she can now get up and rest in a bed while we are traveling as she tires so easily. Too, it sounds good to her that when we get to our destination and park, we are already set up! Well, almost, we still have to connect to land facilities. The unit is well designed for a 27 footer and capable of sleeping [8] adults. Carol likes the ample storage and many cabinets and I really like the rear 'garage' and outside storage.

I have enjoyed participating in this forum for the last couple of years and have gleaned a lot of helpful information and hope to have helped others with my experiences and suggestions. I will maintain a membership for now and check back occasionally. I have already signed up on the irv2.com forum and am amazed at the size of the membership and number of different discussion panels on that site. It covers the full spectrum of Rv'ing with Class A, B, C, motorhomes and 5th wheels too.

While the Hi Lo forum is much smaller, it makes one feel as being a part of a family, a close-knit group of likeminded people who enjoy sharing their experiences and suggestions with one another. I will miss that.

Jerry & Carol Curtis
2406 T
2000 F250 ext. cab. 4x4 7.3L diesel w/ Raider View liner Camper

2005 Coachmen Freedom
3500 Chevy 6L gas on a 3500 chassis
Fredericksburg, TX

jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:48 AM   #2

Best wishes to you and wifey. We will miss you.

89Hilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:30 PM   #3

Are you going to tow a car with your MH?

My wife and I enjoyed a mini-motorhome that we had a numbers of years ago. It was definitely nice to pull up to a site, level the motorhome (More complicated than on a trailer), and be ready. On the other hand, we did not enjoy "breaking down the campsite" every time we wanted to go somewhere. We got a trailer because we could leave it at a campsite and drive our tow vehicle wherever we wanted to go.

If we got a MH again, I would definitely rig it up to tow a car.

Raul
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:06 PM   #4

Smile

Jerry,

Will miss hearing from you on the forum. I wish you and Carol the best in your new endeavors. Keep the shiny side up!

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
Site Team

Best wishes and safe travels, Jerry and Carol. We'll miss you.

- Jack
Old 05-24-2013, 10:48 PM   #6

Hope you hang around anyway. Your insights and opinions are still valued. So why not check in now and then.? Good luck and good adventures.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:41 PM   #7
sam

Default Leaving th forum

Jerry and Carol, Sad to see you giving up your HiLo. You made me laugh when you described the rough ride of your f250.We call our F250 the "bucking bronco" Best of luck with your new to you class C.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:59 AM   #8

Keep in touch here on the forum. You can still give a lot of advice. Good luck with your travels.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #9

Enjoy your travels ahead of you! As others said you can always check in and post as you probably have knowledge that pertains to any type of RV or Trailer.

Good luck.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:11 PM   #10

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappaP View Post
Enjoy your travels ahead of you! As others said you can always check in and post as you probably have knowledge that pertains to any type of RV or Trailer.

Good luck.
Thanks PappaP and all of you well wishers who responded,

Pappa, I have always enjoyed your contributions to the forum, just as I have read with interest Sam's efforts to help other Hi Lo owners. Since this is our first motorhome, I am sure there will be lots for me to learn and perhaps share with the irv2 group that I joined this week.

Habits are hard to stop; as you can see, I still check in and will continue to do so as there are so many of you that have helped me with solutions to problems that arise to any and all RV'ers, regardless of the type you own. I will continue to check in often and if there is anything I can provide to the forum, I will be glad to do so. If any of you are in the Fredericksburg, Texas area, please do stop by for a visit. We are in the directory...

May God Bless all my Hi Lo forum friends.

Jerry Curtis
2406 T
Old 05-28-2013, 10:00 AM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurtis95 View Post
I am sorry to say that the latest hailstorm that came through here two weeks ago did a number on our home and our Hi Lo. We will be replacing our house's 2nd roof in 2 years courtesy of hailstones up to the size of oranges or grapefruit. The Hi Lo had all the vents, skylight and AC cover literally destroyed. One good thing of note is the extensive roof repairs I did using the web seal tape and Kool-white elastomeric paint held up very well and there were no leaks other than the vents and AC. The dealer has already ordered repair parts and he agreed to give the roof another 2 coats of Kool-white from the 3-gallons I have remaining.

We got a fair settlement for both and we have decided that we will sell our Hi Lo and have already purchased a used Class "C" Motorhome. We are taking our HiLo to the dealer next week to pick up the MH and he is going to make the repairs on the Hi Lo and put it and my beloved 2000 Ford F250 4x4 Diesel on his sales lot and try to sell them as a companion set. What is so sad is that I have been out a lot of money on both having bought all new tires and [4] new batteries for both units just in the past few months. I just had the transmission flushed and new fluid and filter as well as flushing and replacing the coolant in the radiator, not to mention the oil/filter changed this week.

Then I discovered yesterday that the MH [which is a low mileage 2005 Coachmen Freedom model on a chevy chassis and gasoline powered] still has the original tires on it manufactured in 2004. So now we have to buy a set of six new tires right off the bat. It is equipped with an on-board generator that has never had the oil changed, but, it has only 55 hours of run time on the meter. My first project is to change the oil and do maintenance on it.

My wife has health issues and while our truck is very dependable and gets super mileage, the ride is such a discomfort to her that she does not enjoy the 'getting to and coming from' part of our outings. The kidney she had removed 5 years ago has left her in constant pain and the Ford has a typical 4x4 ride which agitates her pain even more. We drove the chevy and it was very comfortable for her, plus, she can now get up and rest in a bed while we are traveling as she tires so easily. Too, it sounds good to her that when we get to our destination and park, we are already set up! Well, almost, we still have to connect to land facilities. The unit is well designed for a 27 footer and capable of sleeping [8] adults. Carol likes the ample storage and many cabinets and I really like the rear 'garage' and outside storage.

I have enjoyed participating in this forum for the last couple of years and have gleaned a lot of helpful information and hope to have helped others with my experiences and suggestions. I will maintain a membership for now and check back occasionally. I have already signed up on the irv2.com forum and am amazed at the size of the membership and number of different discussion panels on that site. It covers the full spectrum of Rv'ing with Class A, B, C, motorhomes and 5th wheels too.

While the Hi Lo forum is much smaller, it makes one feel as being a part of a family, a close-knit group of likeminded people who enjoy sharing their experiences and suggestions with one another. I will miss that.

Jerry & Carol Curtis
2406 T
2000 F250 ext. cab. 4x4 7.3L diesel w/ Raider View liner Camper

2005 Coachmen Freedom
3500 Chevy 6L gas on a 3500 chassis
Fredericksburg, TX
Best of luck, Jerry. Please do keep in touch once in a while.
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:40 AM   #12

Jerry,

Sorry You and the Mrs. are leaving us, was looking forward to the photos of your ceiling repair. We understand you need to do what is right for you and your wife, after all our wives come first in my book and if she is not comfortable in the truck, it just makes for a bad time for both of you. Good luck with the new motorhome.

P.S. Let us know which one gets the better mileage

96 24' Hi-Lo Funchaser, (99 Aliner Sofabed Sold 6/9/18)
06 Toyota Tundra SR5 Access Cab 4X4 36,000 miles and counting
garyk52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk52 View Post
Jerry,

Sorry You and the Mrs. are leaving us, was looking forward to the photos of your ceiling repair. We understand you need to do what is right for you and your wife, after all our wives come first in my book and if she is not comfortable in the truck, it just makes for a bad time for both of you. Good luck with the new motorhome.

P.S. Let us know which one gets the better mileage
garyk52,

You know Gary, I never got to do the ceiling repair other than just remove the cabinet that holds the tilt-out motor and do a good patch job on it. That was going to be a summer project for me but since the hailstorm did its number on the Hi Lo, I decided to replace the vents, skylight, and AC cover and make someone a good deal on it. I just finished painting an additional [2] coats of Kool-white on the roof. I inspected the roof pretty closely and even though it has pits from the hailstones, I saw no skin broken. The additional coats of Kool-white was just for insurance against water pooling in the indentations and eventually working through. I am glad I painted the roof a year and half ago; it probably would have broken through the skin had I not done so.

I had to go buy a couple of amber running lights to replace the front one that the hail broke and to have them match I had to replace both. Will finish that this afternoon. get it inspected tomorrow, and hauling it to the RV dealer Thursday who is going to do all the vent and AC work. I just talked to him a short while ago and he said he has several people interested in the truck, one in particular [his friend] said to call him as soon as we get there so he can come look at it. Another fellow is very interested in the Hi Lo so hopefully both will be sold soon. Both will be getting good deals on either. I hate to think of parting with my Ford Diesel, it will be like parting with a good friend. It has served me well for almost 14 years and 203K miles and it still has another 300K of life remaining.

No contest on the mileage of the v-8 gas chevy versus the ford diesel; hands down, the ford gets better mileage in town that that chevy will get on the highway.

It has been a pleasure talking back and forth with you and I appreciate what I have learned from your experiences over the past couple of years.

Jerry Curtis
2406 Towlite