Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 10-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #1

Default Light next to entry door

Does anyone know where I can get the lens that fits the light fixture next to the entry door. Mine is starting to crumble away.

Question for those of you changing to stainless steel exterior screws. Where can you buy them in enough quantity and not a huge price?

Thanks

Bear

bearshrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
sam

Default Light fixture globe

Bearshrum, Call Jay at Mantelli trailer sales. Recently he mentioned to us that he had to find a new manufacturer for the Bargman assist lighted handle. Jay in parts at 1-716-625-8877. He may have the plastic lt. cover you need. We were the ones that changed out a lot of the rusted screws to stainless steel ones. I remember recently getting a box of 100 screws at ACE hardwear. The majority of the screws came from Mc Feelys. Two different kinds/lengths at about $12.00 per 100. Had to order another box of 100. Lots of screws in the HiLo. Different sizes can be in the same strip. Amazing how many 100s of screws are in the trailer. Rustynscrews make the HiLo look old. McFeely is a mailorder catalog with &1.00 shipping.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearshrum View Post
Question for those of you changing to stainless steel exterior screws. Where can you buy them in enough quantity and not a huge price?

Thanks

Bear
You may find good prices at a marine supply store. Look for one that is not part of a national chain.

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:37 AM   #4

Fastenal is a good source for the SS fasteners. You can browse through the store or the online catalogue.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:49 PM   #5

Thanks for the info. Those are all good ideas. I have to agree with sam, the rusty screw heads and streaks really make a trailer look old.

Bear
Old 10-09-2013, 11:02 PM   #6
sam

Default Changing to stainess steel screws

Our first changeover of screws was some yeas ago. It was all the exterior storage doors, furnace,refrigerator grill and water heater door and anything we saw on the exterior that was rusty. Today I was in the HiLo and go more info for you. From McFeelys #8x3/4 Pan Head. We used abut 200 screws this time around. Also used #8x1-1/4 Pan Head. Can't recall the size from ACE hardwear. Bring a screw with you. Don't know what quanity you would have to buy from Fastenal. All I know is you use way mor tha you think. We still have some more to replace on ourextrior trim strip that the top sits on when in the lowered position. Sorry about the typos it is late.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:33 AM   #7

My local Fastenal store sells any quantity you want. Need only one, they will sell you one.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:18 PM   #8

My son and I just got through packing the wheel bearings and adjusting the brakes. Not something I'd want to do very often. Now we have six wheel brakes instead of one wheel brakes. The old rusty screws that held the wheel fairings on were a double dipped you know what to get out. We used up a whole can of WD-40 just to get those two covers off. I'm going to wait to put them back on until I can get some stainless screws. Don't want to go through that again. Before I'm done the "beast" will sport stainless in every screw hole. Sorry to see that you guys up north are having to pack it in for the winter, but since we don't have winter in south Texas I'm just gonna keep on camping.

If you don't do anything else, BE SAFE!

Bear