Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 12-09-2010, 12:33 PM   #1

Default My new old HiLo

I RECENTLY PURCHASED AND 1972 HILO. IT IS A 1572 MODEL. SMALL, SINGLE AXLE AND ONLY SLEEPS TWO. JUST WHAT I WANTED. I TOW IT WITH A 2008 DODGE NITRO AND I HARDLY NOW IT'S BACK THERE. I PLAN ON CLEANING IT UP THIS WINTER AND ENJOYING IT NEXT SPRING (I LIVE IN NY AND WE ARE GETTING POUNDED BY SNOW)... RIGHT NOW, I CANNOT EVEN GET INTO IT. I NOTICE THAT MOST PEOPLE HAVE NEWER HILOS. IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE THAT HAS ANYTHING LIKE MINE? IF SO, TELL ME HOW YOU LIKE (OR DISLIKE) YOURS.

Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:57 PM   #2

Hey Butch get it cleaned up and restored i have 2 hi-lo campers and love em the older one 1966 , 16 ft. i take in the winter because it has no hydraulics to worry about, crank to rise and lower only. Enjoy.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:17 PM   #3

Butch,

Generally speaking, and in my opinion, Hi-Lo's manufactured in that era were very well made and extraordinarily durable. Our 1969 Bon Voyage, originally purchased by my dad, with routine preventive maintenance, and periodic preservation, has proven to be real winner for 41 years. This past spring we bought a 2704T, mainly for the bed comfort, and I KNOW that it won't make it to age 41... the rubber roof and plastic ends will long be rotten by that age. I don't care, because by then my own walls and roof will be too rotten to camp anyway!

I met Jim Snyder at the 2006 National Rally... he stopped to take a look at our rig... and he said that he felt the late 60's into early 70's trailers Hi-Lo built, with steel frames, aluminum roofs and aluminum siding, were they best they'd ever done. He said they had to evolve away from that design, etc. to remain price competitive.

Last month I gave the old Bon Voyage to my son and daughter-in-law. They are truly excited to be gaining a "new," Hi-Lo. My son says he expects to be towing the thing until they outlaw motor vehicles. He'd like to pass it on to my grandson in about 40 years... that would make it a four generation span.

Enjoy your new old gem.

Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:46 PM   #4

hey butch my girlfriend and i have a 1969 hi-lo we got from her mom and step dad, it sleeps 4. it is 16' long and is in almost perfect condition, the only thing it needs is exterior paint and maybe a new fridge. the interior looks like it is brand new, we love it and cant wait to use it this comming year.
barleypopplz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:37 AM   #5

Jim,
I also have a 69 HILO, my wife and I bought it from a coworker of mine this past summer. we are the 3rd owner, they had it for many years after buying it from the original owner who kept it stored inside a barn.

good shape, trying to get all the small bugs worked out of it. but we are also in NY so its in the backyard under a bunch of snow my 4 year old loves the fact that he can walk upright in it even closed LOL
Billb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:47 PM   #6

Billb,

Yup my daughter and son were the same way. Used to volunteer to get stuff out of the trailer, when we were stopped at a rest area, just so they could walk in there when it was down (doing something dad couldn't do). Hah, they also would fight over who got to push the "raise," toggle. Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Old 12-20-2010, 09:34 AM   #7

Thanks Jim - I hope to be bringing it to SD in a couple years. As a "military brat" I graduated from high school at Ellsworth AFB near Rapid City. That was 1963... I want to go back to visit the Black Hills and Mount Rushmore.
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:01 PM   #8

Default 1966, 16 foot Hi-Lo

PaulS,

Regarding your 1966, 16 footer: I'm curious to know what the model name is. Hi-Lo used to put a sticker on the exterior door side wall, close to the front edge and near the roof line, that proclaimed the model name... like "Bon Voyage."

Also, where is the manual crank point on this trailer?

Thanks,
Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Old 12-20-2010, 08:52 PM   #9

Jim the Hi-lo sticker is on the right side of the door as you enter and under the back window and on the opposite side of unit .the name voyager is on a template not on the hi-lo sticker, the crank is at the rear of the unit under the bumper in the middle.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:48 PM   #10

Paul,

Thanks for the info. Just curious because my folks bought a 1967, 16 or 17 foot Hi-Lo, that was also a manual crank-up (my job). They traded it for a 1969 Bon Voyage at first sight ... because it had a hydraulic lift (and I suspect because I drew a low draft number and they knew I'd be leaving soon!).

I couldn't remember the model name of that first Hi-Lo, for years I thought it was a Voyager, but after your post... it may have a Traveler. Wish I'd taken some good photos of the thing.

Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Old 12-23-2010, 07:52 PM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to thermonieum

i just bought a 68 hilo traveler. would love to have any written material i could get on anything close like a 66 to 70 model. not in the best of shape but i will restore it. it sleeps 4 and is a single axle.
thermonieum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:58 PM   #12

Well, I have the Owner's Manual for my 1969 Bon Voyage. Currently its packed in that trailer, which is covered for winter storage. Next time I open the trailer for a winter check I'll retrieve it, convert it to a pdf file, and send it our moderators for the Forum library.

The Bon Voyage is a different model than yours, but it seems to me that most of the Hi-Lo Owner's Manuals I've seen aren't particularly model specific. There is a lot of cross over info. that applies to all models for that year. Furthermore much of the info. carries over from year to year. So you may be able to get some useful stuff, although I'm not sure it will help with a restoration.

I also have the old appliance manuals, and will do the same.

Understand, none of this will happen until after the holidays and access will depend on snow depth!

Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Old 01-16-2011, 08:20 PM   #13

Hi,fellow new yorker , my hi-lo is a 78 just got it this past summer. I raise and lower mine .i just clean the snow off the top. Older hi-lo's like ours were built pretty sturdy (metal cage type body frame not wood). As long as you dont have any damage. A hi-lo can hold the weight of two full grown men.the problem i'm having with fixing mine in the winter is heat. You turn on the heat to work on it but since its outside . When i'm done for the day the temp. Changes and i end up with condensation. Which i then turn on my dehumidifier to rid myself of the condensation.the dehumidifier doesn't work so well when the temp drops to low though.you can see mine in my photo album on this forum . Its a work in progress but i wouldnt trade it for the world. They are always attracting peoples attention & i always get compliments on how cool it is. So enjoy and you might be needing elec. Brake hook up from your tow veridical if its over 1000 lbs. Its n.y.s. Law & its better safe than sorry. One more thing grease your bearings-side rails the top rides up & down on and the hydrolic bar underneath that raises & lowers top oh and the cables you see underneath. The greasing is important to snag free operation . Good luck.....
FHILO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:56 PM   #14

Hi ,think i wrote you once a while back. I too have a 78 & live in upstate new york. See mine in my photos posted here in my profile. Mines a bit larger 21' dual axle. But its just right for me and my dog. Bed in back so it can stay down and the table can stay up. So when i stop pop the top and except for the hook ups -wheel chucks etc. Im camping. I will own it till my end. I get compliments and questions about it from other campers all the time. Makes you feel good.having people say wow thats a cool camper. I love it .hi-lo's spoiled me i wouldn't want a regular camper now.happy trails my friend and enjoy...
FHILO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:14 AM   #15

We own 1972 and have found all parts everywhere in USA.We reversed shackles and put new saddles adding 12 inches to height,real nice.
Axle stays the same position only springs are moved above axle. Nice
We replaced hydraulic lines and gas lines.we found new bargman 50 lights 2 years ago but found new 2 1/2 inch lights andHydraulic ram piston on ebay.
4 coats of elastimaric white roof paint makes new look .Jayco rear large lights on ebay usually.

enjoy the redo

Mr swanson
jwswans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
I RECENTLY PURCHASED AND 1972 HILO. IT IS A 1572 MODEL. SMALL, SINGLE AXLE AND ONLY SLEEPS TWO. JUST WHAT I WANTED. I TOW IT WITH A 2008 DODGE NITRO AND I HARDLY NOW IT'S BACK THERE. I PLAN ON CLEANING IT UP THIS WINTER AND ENJOYING IT NEXT SPRING (I LIVE IN NY AND WE ARE GETTING POUNDED BY SNOW)... RIGHT NOW, I CANNOT EVEN GET INTO IT. I NOTICE THAT MOST PEOPLE HAVE NEWER HILOS. IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE THAT HAS ANYTHING LIKE MINE? IF SO, TELL ME HOW YOU LIKE (OR DISLIKE) YOURS.

Need 14 inch Rim 4 lug for a 1972 Hilo. 9285242880 day
jwswans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:36 PM   #17
sam

Default Need rims

Try Jay at Mantelli trailer sales. He is the parts manager.1-(716-625-8877).
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 12:25 PM   #18

Default Our First Hi-Lo

We are excited to go pickup our first Hi-Lo in a couple months, Have only seen pictures and talked extensively to retired owner but with trailer being 800 miles away, we decided to take a chance an buy it before actually seeing it in person. a 1964 Snyder. Owner says it measures just over 18' from hitch to rear bumper. Don't know what model that would be? photo's show it to be in terrific condition. We purchased a vintage Airstream many years ago based off photo's and we were not disappointed when we purchased in person, we are crossing our fingers that this too will be a gem and not a misrepresented worn out unit.
BattleBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 06:37 PM   #19

If it was represented correctly, not an issue.
Have realistic expectations knowing the unit is 50 years old.

kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote