Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 01-19-2015, 09:47 AM   #1

Default New Generator

I've been thinking of buying a generator for use with the Hi-Lo and the boat. Yesterday we had a windstorm in the Puget Sound area. The gusts in my neck of the woods reached 50+ mph. As a result there were a number of downed trees and power lines. We lost power at 2:00 AM.

We cook with gas, have a gas water heater, and a gas fireplace that does a good job at supplementing the furnace. Normally, power outages doesn't bother me much. Unfortunately, yesterday was the Seahawks/Packers game. We wanted to watch it and cook ribs in my Traeger pellet grill. Based on this it was important to have the priorities straight

1- I went to Cabela's and bought a Yamaha EF2000is.
2- As soon as I got it home, I fired it up and connected it to the Fios TV modem, the big screen TV, and the Traeger grill.
3- After the Seahawks/Packers game was over I disconnected the TV and connected the refrigerator.

I'm very happy with the Yamaha generator. It has a power-saving mode that varies the engine RPM with the required load. It ran at low RPM and was very quiet with the cable modem, big screen TV/stereo system, and the pellet grill all going at once. After I disconnected the cable modem and TV to connect the refrigerator, it was a bit louder, but not much. The RPMs went to max when I first plugged in the refrigerator and the compressor motor started; after that the generator RPMs went back down. A neighbor down the street had a Chinese copy of Yamaha/Honda 2000 watt generator running and it was definitely louder at all RPMs.

BTW, the ribs were awesome. We finally got power back at 10PM (20 hours without power).

Go Seahawks!!!!

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:05 AM   #2

Congrats on the Seahawks win, Raul! I don't think you can go wrong with either the little Yamaha or Honda generators, and you can take them camping with you!

Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton Rider View Post
I've been thinking of buying a generator for use with the Hi-Lo and the boat. Yesterday we had a windstorm in the Puget Sound area. The gusts in my neck of the woods reached 50+ mph. As a result there were a number of downed trees and power lines. We lost power at 2:00 AM.

We cook with gas, have a gas water heater, and a gas fireplace that does a good job at supplementing the furnace. Normally, power outages doesn't bother me much. Unfortunately, yesterday was the Seahawks/Packers game. We wanted to watch it and cook ribs in my Traeger pellet grill. Based on this it was important to have the priorities straight

1- I went to Cabela's and bought a Yamaha EF2000is.
2- As soon as I got it home, I fired it up and connected it to the Fios TV modem, the big screen TV, and the Traeger grill.
3- After the Seahawks/Packers game was over I disconnected the TV and connected the refrigerator.

I'm very happy with the Yamaha generator. It has a power-saving mode that varies the engine RPM with the required load. It ran at low RPM and was very quiet with the cable modem, big screen TV/stereo system, and the pellet grill all going at once. After I disconnected the cable modem and TV to connect the refrigerator, it was a bit louder, but not much. The RPMs went to max when I first plugged in the refrigerator and the compressor motor started; after that the generator RPMs went back down. A neighbor down the street had a Chinese copy of Yamaha/Honda 2000 watt generator running and it was definitely louder at all RPMs.

BTW, the ribs were awesome. We finally got power back at 10PM (20 hours without power).

Go Seahawks!!!!
Aren't new toys great?
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry View Post
Aren't new toys great?
Yep, and it's always good to have a "good" excuse to get a new toy.

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:15 AM   #5

Spoken like a true man!
Any excuse is a good excuse.

We don't need no more stinking shoes!
kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote