Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 08-12-2013, 10:50 PM   #21

I thought about slowing down a bit from 70 but, with the speed limit being 75 I was a little worries about somebody not paying attention and slamming into me. There were quite a few people flying by me doing well over 80 and a couple of them were actually texting... I have seen an accident where that has happened. A older couple were towing their camper doing 60ish and a girl not paying attention slammed into them. Ill try slowing down a touch and see if that helps, if not I know there are a few Reese and draw tight hitches I saw locally for sale.

On the a/c there is a plug right there in the back to plug into, it's almost perfect for the length of an ac unit power cord. Almost like it was put there for a reason. I just wish I could find a decent picture of the factory ac unit in the back wall. There was a 77 17' just like mine for sale a couple weeks ago and I emailed to see if they had a picture of the unit and I was told they didn't have one. So, I don't know. Ill have to figure something out though so I can use it while I'm out here in western ks working.

I thought about the city water hookup today and how I could do it, I was thinking of routing two separate lines and just putting by pass valves on so I could use either city water or the storage tank. I'm not too sure how well this would work though. Does anyone have a picture they could share of the factory city water and onboard water setup I could look at?
On that note I just realized that my tank is a mild steel tank and was wondering how that would be over time considering rust and such. I found a similar tank at tractor supply, it was a blue steel water tank just like I have mounted in the trailer. We're the original ones clear plastic? I looked online for fresh water camper tanks and the ones I looked at were all clear plastic.

Ill try and post detailed pictures of everything im having issues with this coming weekend when I make it back home so you all can see what I see and am talking about.
Sorry for the long posts, I'm new to the game and trying to get all the information I can and describe what I have going on. Pictures to come this weekend.

kansaslx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:39 AM   #22

Here is more information about water systems than you really need to know but it does tell you a lot about how things hook up and work. Water, Water, Everywhere!

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:10 AM   #23

Default ours

Here is the blog, info, questions thread that I'm doing with our 1969 Traveler.

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f17/...78/index2.html

It looks a lot like yours. I started it on page two so you could see a couple of pics of the water supply tank that's in it now. I don't think that it came from hilo that way. Enjoy.

On driving speed I'm planning to take the slow roads on our first hilo trips. I just drove the interstate for 8 hours each way and think that when I take the hilo out that the back roads will be just fine. Had a lot of cars passing me as I was only driving 78 mph. I love cruse control.

Later Tim
69hilo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:48 PM   #24

Tim, I checked out the link you gave me. Looks like you've been busy with your trailer. Your water setup doesn't look factory to me, I had found a water tank like yours on camping world. The inlet doesn't look factory either, mine has the original surround and fill still. It is just a little trap door that push to fill and has a hose running to the top of the tank, although I doubt my tank is factory either as I saw some by the same manufacturer at tractor supply although not the same dimensions.
I have drawn up a water route for what I will be using to run city water and the tank water. I bought a city water fill today that will mount in the same cubby where the gravity fill is then I will have to make a Y fitting with shut off valves so I can use either or for water supply. Also bought me a new shurflo revolution pump, 55psi and 3gpm. The factory one was a 2.8gpm. So hopefully I can get the water going when I get home Saturday.

As far as the A/C unit goes, I feel like a dummy. I must have mis measured when I was laying out for the unit opening or something. I measured where I would've only had 14.xx" width and after re reading the fine print above the blue print for where to cut I realized that it states that after the hole is cut the opening will be 19.xx" wide and 12 5/8" tall. So it seems that just about any window a/c will fit as long as the height is right. So for any of you that may encounter this, the manual states in the fine print that I over looked and didn't process the 1" steel tubing support that is there for the A/C unit is the dimensions listed above.

So now the A/C and water are settled. Just have to go to the trailer shop when I get back to town and see what they think I may need to settle the sway from passing vehicles that I got on my way home from picking the trailer up.

One more thing that dawned on me that I never asked about, How do I set the heat? There is no thermostat, Just a little copper tube thing under the furnace that has a solid copper wire running into the furnace. Can you not set the temp on the older HI-LO trailers? I'm sure it would not be too hard to put one in if that little copper thing was the thermostat for the furnace, just not too sure if the temp can be adjusted. I don't remember seeing anything about the furnace in the original paperwork I got with it except for how to light it. I'll have to double check when I get home and look through all the papers again. Has anyone retro fitted a modern thermostat?
Thanks for the help so far!!
Old 08-14-2013, 12:28 AM   #25
sam

Default older furnice

If my memory serves me well I remember that older furnices in RVS are defeniately unsafe. The newer ones have safety features and are new and improved. Also more expensive. Just something to consider. Some of the forum members use different types of electric heaters. I just want you to be safe.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:44 AM   #26

I was planning on running everything for awhile before using the trailer to make sure everything is up to par. If it has made it from 1975 to now I'm sure it will be and is alright but, I will have a friend of mine that does hvac check it out and possibly run me a thermostat. I'm just a little unsure of the actual operation since I don't see an adjustable thermostat, just that little brass tube thing under where the heat would come out above the toggle for the roof lift.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:44 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslx View Post
I was planning on running everything for awhile before using the trailer to make sure everything is up to par. If it has made it from 1975 to now I'm sure it will be and is alright but, I will have a friend of mine that does hvac check it out and possibly run me a thermostat. I'm just a little unsure of the actual operation since I don't see an adjustable thermostat, just that little brass tube thing under where the heat would come out above the toggle for the roof lift.
I don't believe that old furnace designs are unsafe. The issue with age is corrosion of the burner box/tubes. This may create an unsafe situation by allowing Carbon Monoxide to seep through to the inside of the trailer. Make sure that your friend thoroughly inspects the burner tubes, box, etc.

Also, install a CO detector in the trailer. Use one that's approved for RVs and boats. They are more resistant to vibrations and moisture.

Raul

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #28

Not sure if you got your lowering issue corrected. I had a similar issue. It turned out the switch was bad. MIne would go up but not go down. I replaced the switch and now it goes up and down without any issues.

Krapolla is offline   Reply With Quote