Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 10-05-2014, 03:46 PM   #41

It hasn't impressed me yet. I don't know why they don't use dual axles, even on the regular Trailmanor.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 04:02 PM   #42

P.S. -- I forgot that we have a second axle which adds weight to our 23 to 25 ft. Hi-Los. The RISE does not have a second axle; therefore, my guess is that the heavy weight of the RISE is due to the weight of the new lift system.

Misfit, it does not matter if we have a half-wall bathroom or a full-wall bathroom because both cabins are small, and if you had to get up in the middle of the night to use either of them, all the people sleeping in that camper better know each other well!! LOL

Dee

Dee Tillotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 04:22 PM   #43
Site Team

I'm not impressed either, Rich. Wonder why HiLo went out of business instead of Trailmanor?

- Jack
Old 10-05-2014, 06:36 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
I'm not impressed either, Rich. Wonder why HiLo went out of business instead of Trailmanor?

- Jack
Maybe the Trailmanor family got along better than the HiLo family.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 10-05-2014, 06:55 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Tillotson View Post
P.S. -- I forgot that we have a second axle which adds weight to our 23 to 25 ft. Hi-Los. The RISE does not have a second axle; therefore, my guess is that the heavy weight of the RISE is due to the weight of the new lift system.

Misfit, it does not matter if we have a half-wall bathroom or a full-wall bathroom because both cabins are small, and if you had to get up in the middle of the night to use either of them, all the people sleeping in that camper better know each other well!! LOL

Dee
Very true Dee. Fortunately it should just be my girl and I on most trips. May have the kids on occasion. Depending on the bodily function utilized, everyone else may want to clear out of the trailer! LOL. Fortunately the vortex fan I installed in the bathroom vent should help tons.
misfit429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:59 PM   #46

Misfit, X2 for the Vortex fan! Sounds like a family camping arrangement; they gotta love you no matter what!! LOL

Dee
Old 10-05-2014, 11:13 PM   #47

Jack and Rich, during the "Great Recession" TrailManor did shut down for the purpose of reorganization. Under reorganization they were able to get new investment money into the company; during the shutdown they moved manufacturing plant in Tenn. to a new location in Tenn., moved headquarters and opened another plant in Nebraska. I'm guessing but probably the new investor made those moves a condition to TrailManor getting the injection of money. I, too, mourn the loss of the Hi-Lo Company. Rich, I heard the same thing about the Hi-Lo family discord.

Dee
Old 10-06-2014, 05:37 AM   #48

Default Why HiLo is out of business

One of my best friends has been an RV salesman at a major company in Memphis for 28 years. We have talked at length about the pros, the cons, AND the demise of the HiLo company as a whole. He AND the other sales people at his company all seem to feel that HiLo simply priced themselves out of the RV business. As prices increased to cover higher costs, sales dropped because of higher prices. I realize this seems just a little too simple, but probably true, nonetheless.
2014 Ford F-350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:31 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
One of my best friends has been an RV salesman at a major company in Memphis for 28 years. We have talked at length about the pros, the cons, AND the demise of the HiLo company as a whole. He AND the other sales people at his company all seem to feel that HiLo simply priced themselves out of the RV business. As prices increased to cover higher costs, sales dropped because of higher prices. I realize this seems just a little too simple, but probably true, nonetheless.
That added to their problems. Along with the pricing, the declining economy, the internal problems, and poor marketing and advertising they put themselves on a death march. They could be thriving now by correcting some of their problems. The person that was supposedly going to put HiLo back into production evidently pooped out as well.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 10-06-2014, 12:21 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Tillotson View Post
Jack and Rich, during the "Great Recession" TrailManor did shut down for the purpose of reorganization. Under reorganization they were able to get new investment money into the company; during the shutdown they moved manufacturing plant in Tenn. to a new location in Tenn., moved headquarters and opened another plant in Nebraska. I'm guessing but probably the new investor made those moves a condition to TrailManor getting the injection of money. I, too, mourn the loss of the Hi-Lo Company. Rich, I heard the same thing about the Hi-Lo family discord.

Dee
Dee,
Where in Nebraska is this Trailmanor plant located? I have never heard of a plant here in Nebraska.
DebW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 01:56 PM   #51
Site Team

Dee, you continue to blow me away with your knowledge of these things!

Great to have you on the forum!

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 02:37 PM   #52

Deb, the TrailManor headquarters is now in Hartington, Nebraska, and in 2012 they also built a new plant in Hartington. The plant in Tennessee was relocated to McGhee Lane in Jacksboro, Tennessee.

Dee
Old 10-06-2014, 02:45 PM   #53

Jack, I'm just a fast and voracious reader of things I am interested in, particularly as regards to the RV industry and camping since this is our hobby now. All of us have thrown a lot of money into this "black hole" of camping.

Dee
Old 10-06-2014, 09:31 PM   #54
sam

Default Our expensive hobby

It is called spending your kids inheritance!!
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:54 AM   #55

DebW, the plant is in Hartington, Nebraska. Seems to me like it employs about 25 or 30 people.
2014 Ford F-350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:15 PM   #56

Sam, you bet! (My son has already gotten his up front with undergrad and grad school tuition and associated living expenses.)

Dee
Old 10-11-2014, 09:31 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
Maybe this answers your question. RISE Travel Trailers | TrailManor Website
Interesting! If you look closely at the interior photo of the bedroom, it appears to be "Photoshopped."
Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:05 PM   #58

Default Lift System Appears To Be Torsion Rods

I just looked at the website and it appears that the lift system appears to be torsion rods just like the front suspension on older Dodge vehicles. No electrical lift mechanism at all. Interesting, but that leaves the "how does the remote control work" question wide open.

DWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote