Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 07-02-2011, 08:39 AM   #21

Success! Now it's a matter of us figuring out when we can go pick it up. Seems like it was sort of a flukey deal. He bypasses the toggle switch and after trying that, it started to work again. We are so thrilled and are very excited to start using it!! That was the most of an explanation I could get from him on the phone. When we go get it, I hope to have a better understanding and will post more information when I know it. He told me that if it were to happen again, he could fix it in a matter of minutes. But, like I said, I will follow up when I know more exactly.

Nodowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:41 PM   #22
sam

Default Getting your HiLo to raise up aqnd down

The guys on the HTF are great with the mechanical/technical stuff. Take some time to read old posts. Especially mainteniance items. You might need a new set of tires to make the seven hour trip home. Carry some tools with you. We are here to help you every step of the way.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:35 PM   #23

Hi All,
I know this is an old post, but you were all so helpful, and I have similar story: a 1987 Hi-Lo that was stored in the up position for many years and now won't lower. I just inherited it and hauled it to Portland, OR from California after airing up the tires. We were able to get the trailer lights working by cleaning the electrical connection (it had some corrosion). But we couldn't get the top to lower. We pulled the cord and the red light came on, then we used the toggle switch and heard something engage/disengage, but the top remained up. I could use some advice on what to try first. Corrosion (is there an obvious location to check)? Hydraulic fluid (is there a level to check)? Battery (what voltage should it be)? I'm pretty handy, but I have no idea where to start troubleshooting. Thanks, Debbie
debmunro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:24 PM   #24

Debbie, did you raise the top first so you could release the safety latch?
Old 05-12-2015, 09:37 PM   #25

Hi Charlie,
It was stored in the up position, so I was trying to lower it for transport. I was not able to move it.
Debbie
Old 05-12-2015, 09:38 PM   #26

Do I need to raise it further to release the safety latch before lowering? If so, how do I do that?
Old 05-12-2015, 09:47 PM   #27

push the "up" side and it should raise just a small bit, that will take the top off of the safety catch. Then pull, and hold the safety cable out until the camper top lowers a couple inches, then you can release the cable.
You may have other problems now, especially after towing with the roof in the up position, but maybe you will get lucky. Make sure everything inside is stowed below the level of the roof in the down position, and that all windows are closed and don't lower the roof door onto your head.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:07 PM   #28

Ah! Okay, I will do that. Thank you so much for the tip. Let's hope it works . I will try not to hit my head, too.
Debbie
Old 05-13-2015, 12:13 PM   #29

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Debbie, Charlie is right. The top may have settled and the safety is not releasing. Make sure the top is fully up, then pull the cable release and try to lower it. Being that it was in the up position for so long and the fact that you towed it quite a long way in the raised position, you may have stretched cables now. Here's a procedure that I've added to my preventive maintenance.

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f61/...o-trailer-129/
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:51 PM   #30

Thanks Ruben! Let's hope I didn't stretch the cables. I will follow your maintenance advice and see what I can do. One question to you both, is it better to store a Hi-Lo trailer in the up or down position? I'm assuming they stored it in the up position for a reason, but I don't know.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:01 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by debmunro View Post
Thanks Ruben! Let's hope I didn't stretch the cables. I will follow your maintenance advice and see what I can do. One question to you both, is it better to store a Hi-Lo trailer in the up or down position? I'm assuming they stored it in the up position for a reason, but I don't know.
It should be stored in the down position to relieve strain from the lift system. Also, the upper half provides protection to the lower half when down.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:59 AM   #32

I am haveing the same issue with my 1987 hi lo camper did you guys figure out what to do to get it to lower? thanks for the help
asmith94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:11 AM   #33

Default Yes, figured it out

My Hi-Lo issue was a combo of operator error and a low battery. To get the top to lower, you have to pull out on the cable and keep it pulled out the entire time while lowering so that the red light stays on.

If you can't get that to work, then it's probably your battery. I learned that you need to disconnect the red battery lead while storing the trailer or the battery will drain within a month or two due to the gas sensor inside the trailer. Hooking up the battery to a trickle charger or the truck with the truck running may work after hours of charging, but a quicker way is to use jumper cables and jump start the camper battery.

If that doesn't work, your battery is probably shot. Replace the battery.

One other thing that helped a little was the advice to raise the top with the switch slightly to get it off where it settled on the seats before trying to lower it. If your red light is coming on when you pull the cable, this could fix the problem and get it to lower.

Last, the cables underneath the trailer need to be lubed occasionally, and it's always possible the hydraulic fluid is a little low.