Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 09-29-2013, 08:16 PM   #1

Default Overnight trip

A mixed bag of old news, good news, and bad stuff.

OLD NEWS: Before leaving, I took another stab at some of the 12V lights not working. I again removed the side of the bed to expose the electrical system under there. I found I had a good solid 13+V from both the battery and converter (both checked individually), and that this power was fed thru the distribution panel without problems. I wiggled and jiggled all the wiring within that cabinet and had no change of symptoms. As I was running out of time I closed it up and said "Oh well".

At the campground these various lights remained inop. This morning, after daybreak, they self healed and came on. All I did in-between (off and on) was make coffee (110V), so there's my answer .... I'll make coffee when I need lights<GRIN>.

GOOD NEWS: my grandson had a great time, so did one of the dogs as she got to sleep with the kid. The other larger dog felt too cramped and so slept on the floor. Poor considerate puppy, giving it up for the kid!

BAD NEWS: When everything was finally picked up and put away, I parked the camper and did all that needed to be done. I inadvertently laid (layed?) the now unhitched safety chains across the hitch -so as to keep them clean; and there they remained as I tried to drive off. Well, the wheel chocks worked - and so did the chains. I came to a sudden stop.

Remarkably the chains held on instead of simply dropping free.

Wasn't able to test the heater as we went to bed with the AC running. This morning was cool but we were too busy to even try the furnace; guess it'll remain for another day.

Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:43 PM   #2

Default Oh, I forgot this

My wife earlier decided pads 27-30 were their best camping sites.

I reserved -and was assigned- pad 28. When I got there it was occupied. I called the office and said I didn't mind taking 27 (the only vacant one of these four pads) if they didn't care, and it was approved. As I was starting to set up on 27 the bride and grandson arrived in a separate vehicle. In that short time the office had called her and advised that 27 wasn't available - it had a dead tree that needed to be removed first. They sent us to 26. EDIT: THAT DANG TREE WAS STILL STANDING WHEN WE LEFT.

WELL, it turns out 26 is the worst spot (at least for us) on the campground. It was a five min walk to the showers, and an inner camping spot (rather than along the wood line). This means fire wood was scarce. It also offered little privacy as it faced everything. Being the real super troopers! we decided to play along; after all, it was only one night, the gal was very apologetic AND extremely cute.

Early this morning I spotted the squatter that was on MY PREVIOUSLY RESERVED SPOT. Chatting with him - he was from Raleigh, NC and was visiting nearby family. He had reserved -and was assigned - 29, but when he got there it was occupied - so they moved him to MY SPOT. He also arrived with just a tent ... his brand new fifth wheeler wasn't dealer ready as scheduled.

Today at check out, when questioned, the cute gal explained what happened. The guy on 29 just showed up, set up, and went about his business as though he owned the place; they didn't know him from any of y'all. And as he wasn't personally there at that time, they couldn't question him and so didn't know what to make of it all.

I sure wish I hear how that works out for him; if successful then I think I'll try that next time. Even lot 26, if FREE, beats lot 28.

Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:53 AM   #3

Default trip

Well parts of it sounded real nice.

Later Tim
69hilo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:15 PM   #4

Default Flickering lights

Hey Wrascal how's it goin',

When we got our 89, we experienced the same flickering problem that you have. It about drove my wife crazy. We couldn't figure out the antiquated lighting system, so I took my wife to camping world and showed her the 12v light fixtures they had, and pretty soon I was hearing, well this would look good here and this would look good there and after a while we left with a bag of new light fixtures. (We don't have the flickers anymore) Come to find out the flickering is caused by the loose contact between the bulbs and the socket. I tried to bend the socket to get a better fit but they are so cheaply made that when you plug the bulb in it spreads the metal and is loose again. The new fixtures don't look as nice as the originals but work a heck of a lot better. Maybe later when I'm not working on the trailer I'll thy to re-invent them with modern parts.
Oh by the way, a week long cruise in a bass boat don't sound too bad.

Good camping and fishing.

Bear
bearshrum is offline   Reply With Quote