Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 02-27-2012, 06:45 PM   #1

Default Parts

I recently purchased my second Hi-Lo. I live in Seattle and I bought it at Media Camping in PA. They hired a towing firm to pull it to Seattle. A tire blew on the way out and took out a nest of wires under the camper. One of the lift guides broke, the storage pan in the back, a couple of the access doors broke, hoses under the camper are partly gone. It was a big list and I am concern if we are going to be able to get replacement parts. It is a 2003, 29 foot Classic. We had it delivered to an RV repair shop over a week ago and are waiting on the laundry list of things that need to be repaired. Media Camping said they are going to make the camper right for us, but we are concerned if the replacement parts will be available.

Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:05 PM   #2

J&R repair will have just about everything proprietary to hi-lo available. Everything else, the RV repair company should be able to find or make. You should be fine, expecially if the towing company or media camping are covering the bill.

Fireballsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:04 PM   #3

Default Parts

Thank you. We received the estimate for the tire damage. It was 4700.00. One thousand of it on just the electrical that the tire took out when it blew. The RV repair shop said it did call J&R and did get the last wheel well replacement available. The shop is going to make all the rest of the parts that need to be replaced like access doors and such out of aluminum and then paint them. Thank you I am sure glad that Media Camping is footing the bill.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
sam

Default Repairs from blown tire/parts.

Just saying after talking to DH, It would have been much cheaper for the Rv place to put on new tires before transporting. Isn't hindsight a great thing.!! So glad that the selling dealer is taking responsibility for what happened. Sounds like you found all the parts you need. If you find a need for parts just post again. Good thing you are a loyal HiLo owner. Let us know if you are satisfied with the repairs. Your trailer should be ready for the camping season. I think if I am going to take a long trip and I am the least bit concerned about the tires it would be cheaper to replace the tires( a good insurance policy) for sure.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:23 PM   #5

Default Parts

Agreed Sam. I think the company that was hired to haul the trailer got him self into a bit of hot water, because he wrote on the receiving ticket that he hooked up the trailer at night in a snow storm and did not check the tires until the following morning. He noticed that the tires were not in good repair, but did not do anything to protect my camper from possible damage. I think his insurance company is going to bear part of this expense.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:30 AM   #6
sam

Default Rv trans port Co

If you can give us the name of the transport co. We will be sure not to use them. Maybe the co is good it was this particular person. I wondered if the transport co was responsible? That is why insurance is necessary. I do recall some recent snow storms in PA. It is also good for the purchaser to have ins. in place before the Rv is transported.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:33 PM   #7

Default Transport Company

I don't know the name of the transport company because Media Camper hired them and they were insured and bonded. I also had insurance on it before it was transported, but my insurance company says they do not pay for damage caused by the lack of maintenace. If he had hit something in the road or something from another vehicle hit the trailer then it would be covered by my insurance. On the first Hilo I owned, I blew a tire and my insurance agent walked me through the claim, by saying "something in the road caused the flat or something off another vehicle, because I am sure it was not a maintenance because that is not covered." It happened to be something off a truck in front of me, but it was a good wake up call to keep your tires and camper in good repair even on a short trip.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:45 PM   #8
sam

Default Insurance claim

Glad to hear your prier ins. co helped you get your claim paid. We have ins. on our HiLo . Never had to file a claim.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:41 PM   #9

Default Insurance - RV Company Payout

I heard from Media Camper today and out of the 4300 dollars worth of repair for damage done from the tire blow out, they are going to pay $4000. Not bad, I am not sure what they are not paying, but happy for what they are. I feel I got a good deal on the camper in the first place, I paid 11,500 for a 2003 29' classic, so I am really happy with the out come. I think they were stand up kind of people.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:01 PM   #10
sam

Default Trailer damages

Glad to hear things are going in your favor. Good news for you.