Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 09-08-2014, 02:23 PM   #1

Default Pin sized holes in trailer

I just bought a 2010 1810h from a dealer. The only thing I could find wrong is some pin sized holes where the top of the trailer meets the bottom half. Specifically if look at the bathrrom sink there are two pieces of would trim with about an inch between the two pieces of trim. In the one inch gap there are a few pin sized holes. What can I use to fix this so little buggies don't make it in.

Thanks for the help

JoyNoelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:15 PM   #2

Are the pinholes in the rubber seal strip? How big are the holes?

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:48 PM   #3
Site Team

Rich, it sounds maybe like the bulb seal is not quite making full contact with the top up? I can't imagine "pin sized holes" in the bulb seal itself.

If the contact is not good, you need to raise the top just a bit by shortening the cable to that area. Before you start making adjustments, measure the distance between the outriggers that the top rides on when down and the lower edge of the top. Ideally, the four distances should all be equal, but it's likely there is some difference between them. If the area where you see the "holes" is lower, that end needs to be raised.

There is an adjustment procedure in the manual that involves using four equal length 2x4s to support the top and I strongly recommend doing it that way.

Don't raise a low end too much though. You just want to get a good seal contact. If you raise the top too much, you can cause damage to the point were the cable attaches to the top. (I know this from experience.)

- Jack
Old 09-08-2014, 08:49 PM   #4

Thanks all...I pick up the trailer on the 20th and I will take a closer look. It did not seem to be rubber. It was more fibrous. I will take a picture. I can see daylight through the holes. I will also take measurements as well. I am learning a ton as I am not mechanically inclined and this is my first trailer. The lift mechanism scares me quite a bit but I know I can figure it out. Need a low profile trailer for my tow vehicle and wanted watertight and trailmanor was out of reach.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:32 PM   #5
sam

Default Pin holes in the HiLo

Hang in their. We will be better able to help you when we see the pictures.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:38 AM   #6

Stick with us here on the Forum, there are a lot of experienced HiLo owners that can help you out. I'm glad you didn't go with the Trailmanor, that's another experience. A family member bought a Trailmanor and has been cursing it more and more. he is about to go back to a popup.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 09-09-2014, 11:37 AM   #7

Thanks all...I have been researching trailers and tow vehicles for over two years and was trying to balance a fuel efficient vehicle with a trailer that had two distinct beds. I travel frequently with a best friend and we don't share beds. I was set on a trailmanor because it seemed to be the only thing light enough still in production for my Ford Escape.

On labor day weekend I was at my parents house and driving down the freeway I spotted a used Hi Lo at the dealer. I decided to go by the next day to take a look. I found that the upper bunk with the bed below will work great and it was in weight limits. It is heavier than the trailmanor with less room but finding any type of used low profile trailer like Hi Lo or Trailmanor in the smaller size in my area has been impossible.

I decided to take the plunge. I know I am close on weight but I have been reading extensively with actual Ford Escape owners and they say the power in the new Turbo 4 is impressive and have not had any problems at all with the trailers that are within weight limits. These are people pulling full height TT so even through there is a lot of naysayers on different forums, people actually driving the 2013 Escapes are not having problems.

I will watch the transmission and possibly add a cooler and if needed air enhanced Springs on the rear end. I am very hopeful that I can keep my smaller gas efficient SUV without having to add an additional tow vehicle. The proof will be when I drive it home with a few smaller passes to go up and over.

Crossing my fingers that my research and checking all the weights works out. Hoping I love the Hi Lo but if not, the deal was good enough that I don't think I will have any problem getting my money back out. I paid $12,500 total with tax and licensing for a 2010 1810H.

Thanks for letting me share my story. I have been a bundle of nerves since I closed the deal as this is a dream of mine since I was little to have a TT and now it seems to be close to coming true.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyNoelle View Post
These are people pulling full height TT so even through there is a lot of naysayers on different forums, people actually driving the 2013 Escapes are not having problems.

I will watch the transmission and possibly add a cooler and if needed air enhanced Springs on the rear end.
You will always find naysayers.

I have had a number of trailers and have always towed very close to the factory weight limits of my tow vehicle (max trailer weight, GCVWR, GVWR, etc.). I have never had any problems, even though I tend to drive fairly fast and like to go to campgrounds that are located at high elevations. Just make sure all your weights are good and be sensible as you drive.

As far as air springs for the rear, you will not need them if you are using a properly adjusted weight distributing hitch.

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:00 PM   #9

Don't forget to get a brake controller, it is a must have. A Tekonsha Prodigy P2 would be an excellent choice.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 09-09-2014, 03:10 PM   #10

I do have a brake controller and WD hitch being installed. I didn't pay attention to the brand name as it is coming from the dealer. Is it important that I find that information out or are WD hitches and Brake controllers similar enough. I know I am paying a premium but again I am not mechanically inclined and I wanted the expertise of someone who works with hitches all the time to show me how to adjust it.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:28 PM   #11
sam

Default Getting set up for towing

Call the dealer and ask them for the brand of brake controller and weight distributing hitch. The principal should be the same on all brands. You might need extended towing mirrors? What state and city are you in? You might get lucky and have another HiLo owner near you. Some states have HiLo owners clubs.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:00 PM   #12

I am in Pullman Wa near Spokane but I am buying it in Boise, id. I have not seen any other Hi Lo in the area. I will call the dealer on the hitch and brake controller.Thanks for the info.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:44 PM   #13

I checked with the dealer and my break controller is a Primus controller. I didn't get the exact model and I will have an EZ Lift Hitch with Sway Control. It seems like those are fairly well recognized brands. Anything else I should be asking?
Old 09-10-2014, 05:05 PM   #14

The Primus will work well for you, it is made by Tekonsha like the Prodigy that I suggested. It just has less whistles and bells. Once you get it adjusted to your trailer it shoulder well. The EZ Lift hitch will also work well. The excitement builds!
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 09-10-2014, 10:18 PM   #15
sam

Default Just a thought

It might be a good idea to invest in a cover for your HiLo. You mentioned some holes in it. You live in a rainy climate. Get a cover with the right material for your climate. Protect your investment. Search the internet for the best price. They go on sale this time of year.