Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 05-23-2015, 08:42 AM   #1

Default Preparing for the Camping Season

Hi all-

I am new here so please forgive my ignorance. I had my 2001 TowLite winterized last October. What are the steps that I should follow to get the camper ready for use? Do I need to disinfect the water system in addition to removing the anti freeze or can I just rinse and go? Any other de-winterization things that need to be done? Now that I have replaced the bulb seal and adjusted the lift cables I am anxious to get going! Also, how do you put your "signature" to a post here?

bshetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:11 AM   #2

I can answer the signature question, at the top of the page, click on User CP over on the left. Then scroll down to edit signature over on the left.

2179 HiLo

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
iamgailmichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:37 AM   #3

I personally don't ever drink the water in any camper I have had so I just drain and fill. I find the hot water heater holds on to any antifreeze the most if that is what they used. Some places blow out all the lines and just leave them dry. I have tried to bleach a camper tank before but that made me even less likely to want to drink it. We just grab a couple of $1 gallon jugs of pure water at the store for drinking and cooking.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:37 AM   #4

You want to flush the anti freeze from the lines and then run fresh water through them until you are sure they are cleared. Then- if you had utilized water heater by pass valves to winterize- open those and flush the water heater as well. REMEMBER TO REINSTALL THE DRAIN PLUG IN THE WATER HEATER or you will end up with water pouring from the heater. Dilute bleach ( about a cup per fifteen gallons) and add to and fill the fresh water tank. Reflush the lines- or you could add this step with flushing the antifreeze. Run it all through or drain the rest then re-fill the water tank with fresh water and flush again-

Turn on your propane- light the stove, check to see if you smell any leaks. Ideally- you may want to have a dealer do a pressure check of the system. Check all other regular stuff- tire pressure, lug nut torque, trailer lights etc.

Im sure others have more suggestions. The above are just some basics.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 01:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshetts View Post
Hi all-

I am new here so please forgive my ignorance. I had my 2001 TowLite winterized last October. What are the steps that I should follow to get the camper ready for use? Do I need to disinfect the water system in addition to removing the anti freeze or can I just rinse and go? Any other de-winterization things that need to be done? Now that I have replaced the bulb seal and adjusted the lift cables I am anxious to get going! Also, how do you put your "signature" to a post here?
Check out this post and video on "dewinterizing."

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f27/dewinterizing-4452/
Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 01:11 PM   #6

Thank you all!

bshetts is offline   Reply With Quote