Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 08-10-2014, 08:25 PM   #1

Default Pressure Switch

I am wondering if the direct water hookup line had a pressure control switch built into it? I have one that hooks up where the external water hose hooks into the system and am thinking if I do not need it to hook up to an external water line. In my other RV I needed a pressure control valve hooked up to my external water line to keep the plumbing from exploding before it was hooked up to the external water supply. I know I am just full of questions and philosophy today.

Mike M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:30 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmouser View Post
I am wondering if the direct water hookup line had a pressure control switch built into it? I have one that hooks up where the external water hose hooks into the system and am thinking if I do not need it to hook up to an external water line. In my other RV I needed a pressure control valve hooked up to my external water line to keep the plumbing from exploding before it was hooked up to the external water supply. I know I am just full of questions and philosophy today.
I don't believe there is a built-in pressure regulator for the city water connection, at least not in my model.

Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:32 PM   #3

Default Water line hookup

I read it in the Hi-Lo manual for the 17T and it mentioned a control valve for the water pressure hook up. Just trying to find out if there is before I try it without the water pressure regulator. I would hate to blow up the lines in it.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:43 PM   #4

Quote:
I read it in the Hi-Lo manual for the 17T and it mentioned a control valve for the water pressure hook up. Just trying to find out if there is before I try it without the water pressure regulator. I would hate to blow up the lines in it.
Hmmm . . . not sure what that is. For sure it's better to be safe than sorry. Hopefully others can answer your question. Our house water pressure is so low I don't think I could ever blow up the lines!
Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:06 PM   #5

I purchased a in-line pressure reducer during our long trip this spring. Many of the parks we camped in were fed by large main lines with lots of pressure.
My hi-lo is an older model and did not come with one.
I use the pressure reducer as the first component from the park faucet. Then I have an in-line filter.
That said, I do not consume park water. I use water vendors at major retailers, grocery outlets, wal-mart, etc, for drinking for my family and pets. Also for my ICE maker.

Water where you camp may be of great quality. Where I was camping in Florida, the water wasn't fit for human consumption.

I recommend a pressure reducer for all RV's. They are very reasonable priced from Amazon and Ebay.
kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:46 PM   #6
Site Team

I also have a pressure reducer at the city water faucet end of the fresh water hose I have for the trailer. I THINK the burst strength of the interior plumbing in our trailer is 100 psi, but I'm not willing to risk it.

Putting the pressure reducer at the start of the hose also protects it from high pressure, and I think it is more likely to break than the trailer plumbing. My regulator has a pressure gauge built in, and it reduces the downstream pressure in the hose and throughout the trailer to 45 psi.

I know my trailer does not have a pressure regulator installed in it and I believe the owners manual recommends getting one for city water hookup.

One small point to anyone new to the RV world: You DO NOT use the pump when hooked to city water. The pump is only used when feeding water from the fresh water tanks.

- Jack
Old 08-11-2014, 06:34 AM   #7

It is a good idea to turn the city water off when leaving a trailer unattended.

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:00 AM   #8

I think the valve that the manual refers to is the check valves in the water line that prevents reverse flow through the city hookup and the water pump.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:13 AM   #9

Default Pressure Switch

I appreciate all of the input on this. A pressure control switch is the way to go and I too have a water filter in my lines to keep the water pure. Thank you everyone!
Old 08-11-2014, 07:36 AM   #10

Default Water Pressure

Norton Rider makes a good comment that we all should consider. Once we camped at a state park and had a failure of one of the drain valves. The failure caused water at state park pressure to flood our Hi Lo. Thank goodness we were having supper in the camper with a couple who own a Hi Lo.
Now we do install a pressure regulator on the inlet line when using campground water. They are not all that expensive and I bought it at Wal-Mart. I also cut the water off when we leave the camper for an extended time. Better safe than having to remove everything out of the bedroom (everything like the bed etc.) and dry out everything and make a plumbing repair. Another consideration it to take a few plumbing fittings and a stick of pipe with you. It save me.
God Bless
Papa
Papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:13 AM   #11

A few years ago my wife and I were walking back to our trailer when we noticed water dripping from a neighboring RV. Since there was nobody around I shut off the city water faucet and left a note on the door. A few hours later the camper came to thank us. Apparently a water line had broken under a sink. Fortunately, we spotted the water dripping shortly after it happened and the damage was restricted to the floor under the kitchen cabinet.

My boat has a city water inlet, just like a trailer. I never use it for fear that a failure may sink the boat. On a trailer the worst that can happen is damage to the interior, floor, etc. On a boat the water has nowhere to go but the bilge. I always fill the tank and run the pump instead.

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:11 PM   #12

Default Pressure Switch

Yes I use a pressure control valve on my water line as well. Good idea to shut off the water line when leaving for a long time. I left my house on vacation to the beach because the sewer line in my basement blew up and there are 6 guys with the plumber and jack hammers, cementing, replacing pipes going on. Good reason to be somewhere else while they make all that noise and repairs before we head for home on Wednesday from Mercer, PA.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Yes I use a pressure control valve on my water line as well. Good idea to shut off the water line when leaving for a long time. I left my house on vacation to the beach because the sewer line in my basement blew up and there are 6 guys with the plumber and jack hammers, cementing, replacing pipes going on. Good reason to be somewhere else while they make all that noise and repairs before we head for home on Wednesday from Mercer, PA.
Having that work done before you get home would be nice. I hope it all works now. I grew up near Sandy Lake which is a few miles from Mercer. I now live in Cooperstown, (No, not the one with the Baseball Hall of Fame) which is a few miles further away. Have a good and safe trip home!

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote