Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 03-31-2012, 03:29 PM   #1

Default Propane Tanks...

My '90 229L has the 1 piece cover for the spare and propane tanks. right now it has the "trade-in" 20# tanks you get from wally world, gas stations where-ever...

Can I fit 30# tanks under that cover? When I looked at them in the store, they looked very tall compared to the 20#ers... I couldn't get measurements, but just wanted to see if others had done this before.

Second option - ditch the 1 piece kinda PITA thingy and use a diamond plate fabricated thingy and get RV tank covers?

The 20#ers might be easier just to "exchange" but I think 60#'s of gas instead of 40#'s would be better...

BTW - I'm going to do the work and change the valve and lines to the automatic change over kind and some new hoses to the hard line wouldn't hurt...

davidc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:32 PM   #2

David, I would recommend trying the standard tanks first to see how long they last. Even running the heater, I can get almost a full season out of the 2 standard tanks. I've had 30 pound tanks on my last travel trailer and while it was nice having all that propane, I hated lugging the larger tanks around to get filled. The only way I see you going through enough propane to make 30# tanks worthwhile is if you had a propane generator and were running the air conditioner all day and night.

Pretty sure 30# tanks will fit under the standard cover though, to answer your question.

Fireballsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:20 PM   #3
sam

Default Propane tank question

We have 30lb tanks on our 90 Classic and our 30lb tanks fit under the one piece plastic cover. They last quite a while depending on how much we run the heater and cook on the stove. I do quite a bit of pre cooking at home and then use the microwave for reheating.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:18 AM   #4

Hmmm... I think I forgot to mention that I am planning on living in it for about a year... So I was really more curious if they would fit under the cover or not.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #5
sam

Default Propane tanks

I've seen many a seasonal site campers with 100 lb Lb tanks that sit on patio blocks. That way you don"t have to fill up that often. Perhaps you can get the propane delivered.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:29 PM   #6

Well, wrestling around a 30# tank is one thing, dealing with a 100# tank is something all together different. With the automatic valve, I would only have 1 empty tank at a time... I was just hoping to extend the time in between having to do it.

Not to mention hauling around a 100# tank would just be a PITA and not something I was even considering doing.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #7

David,

When in Alaska, you haven't mentioned if you'd be one location, or changing campsites a lot. Not sure how easy it would be to move sites once the heavy snow hits, so if you'll be weathering through in one spot, might be a better idea just to lease a large stationary propane tank and have the gas company fill it periodically.

Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:52 PM   #8

Wasn't really planning on living in it over the winter. I have several options for inside storage over the winter so it will be safe from snow weight.

Although 1 option is a carport 1 can park it under and possibly live there, but I think the freezing cold would be problematic to the point it just wouldn't be worth the effort. The couple that own the house used to camp but sold it all and the carport is a left-over - it has hookups, including sewer, but the winter might just be too bitter for an RV.

The other is the lodge I worked at 1 summer has a warehouse in Anchorage and the owner said no issue with tucking it in a corner for the winter.