Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Community Forums > General Hi-Lo camper discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 11-06-2014, 11:31 AM   #1

Smile propane tanks rattling

Problem the tanks make a loud rattling sound when the heat is on. Any answer as to why? Also the switch for the thermostat is in the off position and won't budge but when you move the temperature UUP the heat goes on. Also using the shower and found water in the vanity. Any ideas as towhy and how to fix it. When I wasn't using the shower, there was no problem. You all have been great with your help, and do I love this trailer. Janice

Janice Gealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 12:54 PM   #2
Site Team

The rattling sound MAY be coming from the gas regulator that connects the two lines from the tanks to the single line that goes into the trailer. If so, it probably needs to be replaced (they DO wear out). I know you can find replacements at Camping World, and they aren't too expensive (less than $50, I seem to recall).

If the heat comes on, I really think your thermostat switch is in the ON position. It is VERY difficult to move from on to off and back again. I took mine apart and filed off a bit of the switch to make it easier to move. Others have simply replaced the thermostat with a better model. They aren't too expensive either (maybe less than $25?).

I haven't had your problem with water in the vanity, but there is obviously a leak. You probably need to be able to look at all the piping/hoses and joints while the shower is on to see where it's coming from.

Good luck - glad you're not getting discouraged!

- Jack

Old 11-06-2014, 02:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
The rattling sound MAY be coming from the gas regulator that connects the two lines from the tanks to the single line that goes into the trailer. If so, it probably needs to be replaced (they DO wear out). I know you can find replacements at Camping World, and they aren't too expensive (less than $50, I seem to recall).
I agree with Jack. To make sure, take off the propane tanks cover, if any. Have somebody stand by the tanks and listen when the noise is occurring. The regulator is the round metal device that has a hose going to each tank. If the noise is coming from it you may need a replacement.

Before you go off and buy one, check one more thing. If the regulator has a lever to select a tank, make sure that it is moved fully to one side or another. If the lever is not on a detent, the noise may be from the regulator trying to go back and forth between tanks.

If you buy a new regulator, I suggest you get one with automatic switchover. These regulators allow you to select a tank to start with. If the tank you selected runs out, they automatically switch to the other tank and show an indication that the original tank is empty. This will keep the stove, heater, etc, from shutting down at an inopportune moment. Once the selected tank is empty, you can flip the regulator lever to the other tank, disconnect the emty tank, and get it filled.

As a matter of fact, the noise may be due to a tank being empty and the indicator on the regulator bouncing up and down. Check this also.

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 02:44 PM   #4

Default propane tank regulator

Do I need a specific brand or size. Can I just go in and buy any one?
Janice Gealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:09 PM   #5
Site Team

Janice, you will need one that has two inputs and one output. This is different than what you typically find on a propane grill. Camping World has them and this is the "automatic type" that was recommended by Raul: Propane Auto Changeover Two-Stage Regulator - Mr. Heater F273766 - Propane Accessories - Camping World Mine looks a bit different, but it is the automatic type also. The ones that are NOT automatic probably look like the one you have already.

Here's a cheaper one from Amazon: Amazon.com: Camco 59005 Propane Double-Stage Auto-Changeover Regulator: Automotive

I suspect you can find two-tank regulators in ACE Hardware too, and they can make sure you get the right kind.

And, DO check the other possible causes Raul mentioned too. You may not need to buy a new regulator!

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice Gealey View Post
Do I need a specific brand or size. Can I just go in and buy any one?
There are a number of manufacturers but any of them should work. Some of them come with hoses for the tanks attached. If that's the case, make sure that they have the correct fitting at the tank end: the older POL fitting that requires a wrench, or the newer quick connect fitting that does not require tools.

Here are some good videos:

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote