Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 05-18-2018, 07:58 AM   #1

Default Proper placement of "Hanging Bed" for travel?

Just got our 1994 Hi-Lo 23FLL where we bought it from an RV Dealer. They were not very familiar with Hi-Lo. Took them several minutes trying different ways to "Store" that bed to get camper closed. I am not comfortable that it was done right? Looked at copy of Owners Manual here in forum, but, not clear enough. Does anybody have clear photos? Or can type in here the correct way to prepare the hanging bunk for travel? Thanks in advance. Not even sure all parts are correct at this point.

elstwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:21 AM   #2

Hey! We have the exact same hi lo! Take a look at this video and see if it helps. It shows the proper method of lowering and stowing the bunk. Good luck with your new camper!

https://youtu.be/HIkbLGTN44U

Smexstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:54 AM   #3

Default Thank You so much!

The "Dealer" was a huge Motorhome, 5th Wheel (Big $$) place. Really did not know much about this Hi-Lo trade in. Hoping wife and I can learn a lot.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:15 PM   #4

There are a whole lot of youtube videos out there. They have helped us with a few things. Once you bring up one, you'll see more available. And ask questions here on the forum - these folks are very helpful and really know their stuff!
Smexstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:50 PM   #5

Thanks again. Problem getting trailer off truck. I think they put a 2 5/16 ball on WD Hitch. Thinking trailer used 2 inch? Just won't turn loose.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:34 PM   #6

I had that same problem with mine if the ball and coupling are not greased real well. The ball stick on the locking mechanism and I have to jump on bumper to separate them.
outlaw88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:49 PM   #7

Doubt a 2" coupler could even be forced over a 2 5/16" ball without destroying the coupler - as outlaw88 mentioned, the locking mechanism in the coupler is probably jammed (or rusty).

You might try unlatching the coupler and spraying a bit of penetrating oil into the latch, blocking the trailer's wheels and gently rocking the tow vehicle back and forth - you'll probably hear a fairly loud metallic click or snap noise when it releases.
oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 06:43 PM   #8

Thanks Y'all. I suppose I have obvious "Newby" juice running all down my chin? ;-). I did finally drown the release mechanism in WD 40. Beat it "Lovingly" with a screwdriver and hammer. Finally removed the pin on receiver and drove the truck out of the connection. Then the thing fell off the ball. Learning curve here beginning to settle in. AND while "Digging" around in all the nooks and crannies I found all 24 year old Manuals for everything ;-)
Old 05-19-2018, 08:47 AM   #9
Site Team

If the truck's ball is backed into the trailer's tongue receiver, it will bind the latch mechanism in the receiver and will keep it from releasing. The solution is to move the truck forward a bit so that the ball is in the front part of the receiver. Then, the latch will open easily with the full weight of the tongue on the ball (you have to get the tongue jack off the ground for this). Once that's done, just jack the tongue back up and the receiver will slide off the ball.

- Jack
Old 05-19-2018, 03:09 PM   #10

Thank You.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:10 PM   #11

You may very well have a 2" Hitch. They upgraded to 2 5/16" in later years. At least on the Towlite models. You need to get that changed asap, it's not safe the way it is. There may be a size stamped on the tongue near the lock.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote