Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 05-22-2013, 12:28 PM   #1

Default Pulling with out trailer brakes/ and venting

I am interested in buying a very old 1960s hilo that has bad breaks and can no longer be replaced. The dry weight is 2600 pounds. So probably 3000 pounds loaded. I have a 1/2 ton chevy cheyenne pick up truck.I thought I probably would not need breaks on the trailer. Any thought about that? Also, it has a electric refrigerator and I never camp any place with electricity.I want to put my gas one from my old truck camper in it. It looks as if there's a vent on the outside where the refrigerator is. But when the camper is down, the top 1/2 of the camper would totally cover up the vent. the vent is not below a window. I thought maybe the newer ones might be designed so all vents were under a window so if you left the window open when you lowered it it would still be vented. But I saw a pic of a new one that looked like the vent was below solid upper wall also. How does this work? Is there enough air space between the lower and upper half of the camper when it is down that it gets enough air like that?

moonglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:51 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

You would have to check the state laws where you live, for the max weight that can be towed with out brakes. Personally I would not tow with out trailer brakes, my son tried this, his trailer had working brakes but he didn't have a controller. He had to hit the brakes on the hard side on a curve and it partially jackknifed everything. It scared the crap out of him, he had a controller for his next trip. Might add that his tow vehicle was also a half ton truck.
As for the fridge, they are 3 way and operate on gas, electric and 12 volt which is recommended for towing as yes the vent is closed in the down position.

(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
Site Team

I agree totally with Rich regarding trailer brakes. You are going to be trying to stop 3000 extra pounds (1 1/2 tons) with just the brakes on your truck? If it doesn't jackknife in a panic stop, it's going to seriously interfere with your control and will greatly extend the distance to stop.

I'm certain there is a way to have new trailer brakes on that rig. Even if you have to get a new axle, it would be worth it.

- Jack
Old 05-23-2013, 09:39 AM   #4
sam

Default Replacing ref.

When we had to replace our ref. we were able to only get one that works on propane and electric. Your size may dictate what you are able to retrofit.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #5

Thanks all. Ok no trailer with out brakes. I fear it would cost too much for new Axel and electric brakes so this hi lo is out. I still an in confusion about refrigerator vents,. If the vent is blocked when down, wouldn't this mean while traveling you couldn't even use the refrigerator on the battery mode.? So you have no refrigerator in any way while on the road? Doesn't it need fresh air and to be vented even when running on the battery?
moonglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:04 PM   #6

With newer HiLo trailers you can run the refer in DC mode while moving and not more than an hour sitting. Any longer and you must lift the trailer or turn off the refer. They also have an upper vent that moves down over the lower vent which allows some air movement when the top is down.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote