Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Community Forums > General Hi-Lo camper discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 09-09-2014, 03:40 PM   #1

Default Question on Winterizing

Hello again...Newbie still has questions

I take delivery of my trailer on September 20 but would like to get some Fall camping trips in before I put it up for Winter. I am curious what I should do regarding Winterizing. Do I need to go ahead and winterize the lines now if there is a chance of below freezing weather? Will just one night below freezing crack my lines? The thing I most want for the Fall Camping is the Hot Water but if I have to go back to the good old fashion boil and heat I am fine with that. I just am curious how you handle your winterization schedule when there still may be some good camping days left. We are currently getting into the 40's at night.

JoyNoelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:48 PM   #2

I have no idea where you live,,,,hint hint, but do winterize if it is going to freezing temps.
The water lines are inside the trlr, the tank is outside and some lines are also on the outside. A heater while on the road or for short amounts of time will work OK. But if the temps are to get (<25 degrees)low drain even if using/traveling.

It is a simple and easy process. But hit all of the areas.
Also do the drains with RV anti-freeze in the drains. Only needs a cup in each drain. Bath sink, kitchen sink, and tub.
Drain water lines and blow out the system with a compressor. DON'T forget to drain and leave uncapped the toilet flush valve. Obviously, remember to re-install the cap before use next year.
There is a compressor part that fits in the city water IN that you use to flush the system with air. Makes it easy and is cheap.
Also drain and flush the gray and black water tanks.

steve

kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:32 PM   #3

Living in Pennsylvania brings lots of cold nights where the temps fall into the twenties. If we have the trailer de-winterized and we are at home I put a small bathroom heater inside and open the bottom cabinet doors because all the piping in inside. I set the thermostat really low and let it go. It will keep the things in the forties. Also, drain the fresh water tank and leave the drain open since it isn't as well protected. If it gets colder than that, then it needs to be drained and anti-freeze added.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:47 PM   #4

Thanks...I am in Eastern Washington State right next to Idaho. I live in the Palouse Farm country with the rolling hills if you have ever seen the pics. We are currently in the 40 - 50 at night but can start looking at Freezing temperatures in November. I was hoping to sneak just a few trips in for the end of September through November and then winter store my trailer at my parents house in Boise when I drive down at Thanksgiving. They have some land and will store it for free and my dad is retired so if there is any type of large snow load, he can remove it for me.

We have snow but it tends to be more in the inches than the feet range
JoyNoelle is offline   Reply With Quote