Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 05-25-2013, 08:47 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to vannooch
Default R value

does anyone know what the r value of the roof, walls and floor are in a hilo?

Luke 1:49
vannooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:00 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

Lets assume yours has the usual 1 inch Styrofoam that the classic models had. Lookup the R value for that and add a little bit for the thin plywood and you should be very close. 1 inch equals 5.0

(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:15 PM   #3
sam

Default R Valu in HiLo

I agree with PopRichie. When we did our restoration we used 1" insulation in the walls and used foam insulation and lexell caulk and place we could to fill in any air leaks. Every inch of our floors are covered with rugs for some extra warmth and a splash of color.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:21 AM   #4

My 2693 has a bit of water damage on the roof and I am planning to rebuild it at some point. It isn't leaking anymore but I still want to fix it. I have an Idea for the roof actually and probably the walls as well. I was camping last January and noticed condensation in the cabinets along the roof at the steel structural members. I need to install some type of thermal break. After regluing the insulation back up and making any structural repairs. I have an idea of adding 2" luan strips anchored to the steel, keeping one edge even with the edge of the steel tubing. This will leave one inch of luan set off to one side. I can add some more blocking if needed above the luan next to the steel. Then when I re anchor the finish panels, the fasteners will not be penetrating the steel, there is a thermal break. You ask, what about the 1/4" space between the foam and finish panel caused by the luan? I think that I am going to add reflectix insulation in that space. It may not give me too much more, but I'll take whatever I can get. I will do this on the upper walls as well.
I also would like to line the bottom of the trailer with reflectix and polycarbonate hollow core sheeting. I also thought of another way to do it with a concrete blanket, I'll decide when When I get to that point.
Add some lexan storm windows, ultraheat pads on the tanks with some foil insulation and voila four season!
Anyway this would help out with the summer and winter camping. Obviously, these are long term projects, I was just thinking about it. I have four kids to get through school so it may be awhile.
Every once in awhile I look around at the floor plans of the newer rvs and I just don't see anything that I like better than the HiLo without getting into something that is 35 feet long needing a monster truck to pull it. I just like the RD floor plan. If I get tired of making up the bed, I'm sure that I can pull the couches and build in a queen size walk around bed with an sleep number mattress, ya that'll do!!
Old 05-27-2013, 09:44 PM   #5
sam

Default Fixing water dammage

Is your roof alum. or rubber? Our rubber roof patch has stopped our water leak. This past year we also had a cover on the HiLo. When you get to ripping the trailer apart you will want to do a better job with anything known to man for insulation. Perhaps you could rent a machine and use expanding insulation in the wall cavaties. In some places we had to poprivet the paneling to the metal supports. I would plan on at about $1000.00 for materials. Depends on how much total damage you have to repair. Give a shout when you are ready to ripout and I will give you a few tips. Classics are worth repairing.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
Is your roof alum. or rubber? Our rubber roof patch has stopped our water leak. This past year we also had a cover on the HiLo. When you get to ripping the trailer apart you will want to do a better job with anything known to man for insulation. Perhaps you could rent a machine and use expanding insulation in the wall cavaties. In some places we had to poprivet the paneling to the metal supports. I would plan on at about $1000.00 for materials. Depends on how much total damage you have to repair. Give a shout when you are ready to ripout and I will give you a few tips. Classics are worth repairing.
The roof is aluminum. I am the third owner, the first owner had the initial problem and along with the second owner I haven't witnessed it leaking. I was told that it was the seal around the air conditioner.