Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 10-26-2012, 07:06 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95
Default Radio

Our 2406 T did not come equipped with a radio and I would like to add one in the center of the forward cabinet. Has anyone done this? If so, I would like a recommendation as to the type radio used and how you managed the antenna required for an AM-FM radio. Is it best to remove the cabinet to perform this work? I think I can figure out a 12v dc feed.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Jerry Curtis
2406 T

jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:47 AM   #2

You may already have the wiring in place for the radio and speakers. If you can get into the area where the radio mounts you may find the wires there. For the FM antenna I believe it connects to the extra terminal behind where the TV antenna power switch/terminal is. Someone else here may be able to steer further on that. I should add that DaveL added a radio/stereo to his 2409 and found the wiring already there.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:47 AM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

RichR,

I have searched the posts for DaveL but nothing came up. Is DaveL the correct user name?

Thanks,

Jerry Curtis 2406T
jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:30 AM   #4

Jerry

In my 2201 tl the wiring is pre-installed for the radio but not, speakers- which makes sense if you want to decide where YOU want the speakers. I had a conversation with somebody about this this summer- maybe check electronics for the post.

I don't have a cabinet hung on the front per se---just those little doors into the built in cabinet. I figured I would have to cut into the front panel to mount it , or, I've always figured a good place to put it would be under my drivers side front cabinet which has the clearance when I lower and raise it. I would have to feed the wires over there. If i was going to do it I guess I would look for a decent auto radio with the lowest wattage draw I could find. (here is link to the post: http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f28/...ry-wires-1867/)

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:52 PM   #5

Jerry,

My unit (2001) came with the radio from the factory. It is an Audiovox AWM-930 AM/FM Stereo/CD player. It has performed real well over the years. I can almost guarantee you that this model is no longer made. It is mounted in my front overhead where you want to mount yours. I had to replace the exterior antenna once and got it from the factory. It was an automotive type that was made for a rice burner (Datsun or Nissan), can't remember which. However it was the type that mounted on the "A post" and not on the fender of the car. The "A post" is automotive slang for the metal part of the vehicle between the windshield and the car door. The antenna is mounted to the right of my front window. Hope this helps.

Bob

MISC 568.jpg

MISC 504.jpg
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurtis95 View Post
RichR,

I have searched the posts for DaveL but nothing came up. Is DaveL the correct user name?

Thanks,

Jerry Curtis 2406T
DaveL is very much here but he has no posts about the radio. He is my wife's cousin and he camps with us. I know the radio location in his 2409 is over the counter and near the TV antenna. I believe there is a blank spot there in the cupboard where the radio is intended to go.

These are DaveL's posts on raising his former HiLo and making a bike rack:
http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/sear...earchid=219400
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 10-26-2012, 02:46 PM   #7

The problem I would have in mounting mine where Bob's is - is I have a vertical 1x1 inside the cabinet in that spot. I always saw pictures of others with the radio there- but It would not work on mine.

rick

4x4
Old 10-27-2012, 12:08 AM   #8
sam

Default Installing a radio.

DH says you could install a car radio. I've seen lots of them on display at Walmart. We love our radio and use it often. Makes a boring task like repacking clothes more enjoyable. While at a campsite we often tune into a local radio station for the news and weather. We have no TV. This gives us some time to do magazine or book reading.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:22 AM   #9

I would put my money into a good quality boombox before going to the work and expense of a built in system, unless you can find a good price on a built-in.
The boombox can be taken outside to listen to your favorite rap music turned up loud so you can entertain all of your neighboring campers, they all love it.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 10-27-2012, 10:13 AM   #10
Site Team

I think I may find you and kill you, Rich! (Or at least let the air out of your tires.)

- Jack
Old 10-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
I think I may find you and kill you, Rich! (Or at least let the air out of your tires.)

- Jack
Ha! I can't blame you. I could never figure out why some people think their neighbors like loud and annoying music. I guess they just don't care or maybe they are deaf or maybe they haven't discovered the volume control.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 10-27-2012, 02:44 PM   #12
Site Team

What puzzles me is why a few who show up in a remote, National Forest campground, with birds singing and the wind sighing in the pines, would want to cover it all up with "boom, boom boom" crap. Fortunately, they ARE a very few, so it's not really a problem.

And just in case anyone misunderstands, I knew you were being cleverly humorous with the outside boombox suggestion, and I just joined in.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:44 PM   #13
gus

I don't think RichR is being humorous, his favorite rap singer is probably m&m and that is not the candy, but do they even sell boom boxes anymore...
gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:10 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus View Post
I don't think RichR is being humorous, his favorite rap singer is probably m&m and that is not the candy, but do they even sell boom boxes anymore...
In that case, I wasn't being humorous either! But, isn't that rap star's name "Enema"? I think that name fits better than the "candy" one.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #15
gus

I agree jack, that is a good one, perfectly describes the angry rapper.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #16
sam

Default State parks in NY banning outside camper music.

We stayed in Darien Lake State Park in Darien Center,N.Y. The sheet of rules we were given stated no music was allowed outside of your camper. This was a new rule for this year. Many of the newer RVS have huge outside entertainment centers. In another park i asked the ranger to go have another camper turn down their music. What would happen if every one blasted their favorite music? I get enough of "ghetto " blasting music where I live. Had to call the police a few times to get the offensive loud music turned down. Solution hitch up and go to a quiet campground. I am actually glad when the cold weather comes. The fringe benefit is all the criminals stay in with their subsudized 80 degree heat. Don't have to put up with the foul language,behavior or loud music.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus View Post
I much prefer the candy. I think boom boxes have been replaced with Ipods and they have been renamed to audio systems or something.

I guess I really hijacked this thread. Now let's help this good soul get an "audio system" installed in his Hilo.

I'm sorry.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 10-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #18

I advocate carrying a boom box to place outside the windows of folks who feel obligated to start their home depot generators up at 7:00 am and leave them run for the next five hours. The more annoying the music the better.

4x4
Old 10-27-2012, 08:58 PM   #19
gus

My hi lo did not come with a radio either, but there are all the wiring for one also, I was thinking of getting a car stereo for it, but, with technology every thing becomes obsolete, I hear cd's will disappear, all our music are in our smart phones, any radio that has audio input from iPod or phones will be good, or hit the yard sales for an old boom box for a couple of dollars.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:15 PM   #20
sam

Default Buying a boom box.

Y es,boom boxes are available for sale. Last year I bought one that was made in china. It was a piece of garbage and I returned it to the store. One time I was camping at Allegany state Park,near the N.Y. P.A. border. We had some rowdy weekend campers,loud music,drinking. Come sunday morning I heard another camper shouting "if you even think about turning that music on I will come and break your arm." It was a very quiet rest of the day.