Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 11-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #1

Default Report on the vacation from hell

My wife and I decided to take our Hi-Lo up to our farm in central Texas. We thought it would be a nice change from sleeping in the barn (as we haven't built a house yet). I brought the "beast" home from the storage lot on the 4th of Nov., worked all week getting it ready to go on our first trip in it. We set out on the 10th of Nov. for the three hour drive to the farm. We get there and ops we're out of propane on a Sunday evening. No biggie right? The 20 lb. propane bottle that I had gotten from the storage shed at home was "of course" the EMPTY one. So bright and early on Monday we get in the truck and go into town to fill BOTH bottles. Got the propane, went back to the trailer and the luck thing started, all bad. As I am putting the thirty pound bottle in its holder it slipped, luckily it went into it's holder, unluckily so did my thumb. I'll be real lucky if I ever grow another nail there. The next day our son and his girlfriend came up to help with some carpenter work in the barn. I have a bum knee and am not supposed to climb ladders and such things. Well guess what, I climbed three rungs up a ladder to help him hold a 2 x 8 we were installing and as I shifted on the ladder I slipped and when I hit the floor I hyperextended my bad knee. Hurt like hell, yes it does. Well after I stopped crying and yelling I figured I could at least get something productive done that day, so ,I got my son to help me up on the tractor so I could go get some mowing done. There's always some of that needs to be done. So I take off and start mowing and after about 10 minutes the right front tire on the tractor blew the whole outside sidewall out of it. Well I was PO d about my thumb, and I was really PO d about my knee, now I was extremely PO d about the tire.
I called my tire guy and he said I needed to replace both fronts to be safe. So I said ok. I would guess that some of you have or have had tractors. I had no idea how much tractor tires cost so on top of being in the upper stratosphere of PO d, I'm handed a bill of almost $500.00 for two tires and installation. Well I went from upper stratosphere to orbit I was so pissed I couldn't see straight. So what happens, can you say MYOCARDIAL INFARCTION, I did. Now to make a long story short my cardiologist and my orthopedic doctors have forbidden me the pleasure (I thought) of RVing. Under no uncertain terms am I to undertake another RV trip they say. So under duress I have to part company with the trailer we affectionately named the "beast". Oh and by the way my son was sick and didn't say anything to us about it so we're both home with 100 plus temperatures sucking down Nyquill and Alka-Seltzer plus with the flu. Some good time we had you betcha.
I will post a for sale ad in the for sale section of the forum when I feel a little better. Thank you all for having me on your forum and giving me a place to blow off a little steam. The old kettle won't hold much pressure right now.

Here's to all of you having camping trips like I didn't
Happy Camping,
Richard Whitebear Shrum

bearshrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:02 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

Richard,

I am so sorry to hear of your plight. RV'ing just sorta gets in ones blood and I would not be surprised that someday you will feel so much better that you might just go against the doctor's orders so you may want to hold onto that Hilo for while. Maybe you can work out a deal with your son, let him have it with the understanding you and mom go along occasionally for an outing [?]. Food for thought.

Best of luck Bear...

jcurtis95

jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:13 PM   #3

"report on the vacation from hell"

I read the header and instinctively went, "so he says".

You need to move under a different cloud!

But, you are correct!

peace
kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:33 PM   #4

Your story reminded me of the old Hee Haw song ... something about if it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all; that lead me to remember the Hee Haw girls!

Well, just enjoy what you've got.
Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:58 PM   #5
sam

Default vacation from hell

I am truly sorry about your bad vacation. I like the plan that JCurtis 95 gave you. I will keep you in my prayers and wish things will get better for you. Keep us posted.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote