Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 05-28-2013, 04:31 PM   #1

Default Sell HiLo, Buy Trailmanor, or Keep what I have

This is just a vent or rant so please forgive the rambling but this has been on my mind lately. I currently own a Hilo 195L year 1994. My only issue with it so far is that it is rather small for two adults and one 10 year old child. I want a larger travel trailer and I have seen what I like purchasing a nice used 30 foot unit for $15,000, but the problem is that I cannot tow it with my current Ford SUV that I use with the Hilo. Purchasing the $15,000 trailer also requires purchasing at least a $15,000 used pick up or big 8 cylinder SUV, I am not opposed to that but we already own 3 vehicles so I would have to sell my VW Passat that I use every day to purchase the big gas guzzling SUV that gas mileage would kill me.

So today I am back to making the decision based on what I can tow with the Ford Escape with Eco-Boost (max 3500lbs) as I cannot justify buying a truck that I will only use 8 to 10 times out of the year. The only true alternative is a Trailmanor Camper which offers the largest camper I could get and be able to tow with my Ford Escape. But when I look at these they are beautiful and I am sold on its quality but the price knocks me on my rear. I will not pay the price for a new unit which is $30,000 plus (that is the price of buying the nice large used Travel Trailer and Used Truck), and the used ones are still expensive at $20,000. I have seen some around $12,000 for the 30 foot size I want but they are far away in California (I live in Chicago). Lastly it dawned on me that I want the bigger camper for me not for my wife and kid as they will only come to perhaps 2 out of the 8 to 10 times I use the camper. So perhaps I can keep what I have and just buy a nice tent to attach to my awning if I want larger space. Does anyone know of a tent system that attaches to camper awnings? I think this would be my best and most economical option; I just saved myself thousands of dollars!

Michael
kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote