Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 12-01-2012, 11:02 AM   #1

Default Short cable

I posted this question a few minutes ago, I think I posted in the wrong place. I'll try again. Going through a major rot rebuild. I had to make the side rails as the old ones were gone. These are the long 3 by 31/2 rails along the sides. Anyways, I built the new ones exactly like the old ones, but when I went to rehook up the lift cables, they were really short, like they wouldn't even go under the rail, never mind hooking them up. Is there an adjustment someplace where you loosen up these cables, reattach them to the rails, and then tighten the cables back up tight. I had the side supported, they are in the original position so the cable should have bolted up, they didn't So, what do I do. HELP. Thanks anyone.

Relichunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relichunter View Post
I posted this question a few minutes ago, I think I posted in the wrong place. I'll try again. Going through a major rot rebuild. I had to make the side rails as the old ones were gone. These are the long 3 by 31/2 rails along the sides. Anyways, I built the new ones exactly like the old ones, but when I went to rehook up the lift cables, they were really short, like they wouldn't even go under the rail, never mind hooking them up. Is there an adjustment someplace where you loosen up these cables, reattach them to the rails, and then tighten the cables back up tight. I had the side supported, they are in the original position so the cable should have bolted up, they didn't So, what do I do. HELP. Thanks anyone.
Relichunter,

Look on the fenderwell on the driver's side. There you will find the adjustment bolts for adding or reducing the tension on the four pullies. There will be two nuts, the outer being the locknut.

Good luck,

Jerry Curtis
2406 T

jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:27 PM   #3

Default Short Cable Reply

I'll check out that adjustment tomorrow. Hope that works. But why would the cable become short, is it because the other three cables are taking some of the disconnected length? Thanks for getting back to me.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:36 PM   #4

It may not hurt to wiggle under far enough to make sure the cables are all properly seated in the pulleys. That could make a difference in length. Hopefully it is just the cables need adjusted.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:43 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

Relic Hunter,

The law of averages dictates that if anything can go wrong, it will.

There are a few variables here, you may have raised the trailer to a level just a teeny bit lower than it was when you replaced the seal boards, you may have attached them slightly lower than the originals or there may have been a variance in the thickness of the replacement boards. When you removed the cables, you may not have been able to reclaim the slack that would have been lost from the adjustment previously applied for it deginitely would have had some strain on it.

Regardless, if you loosen the locknut, and left turn the adjustment nut on the adjustment bolts, you will gain enough slack to reattach the cables. Once this is done, it is a matter of adjusting the upper half to the lower half to where you have a good balance from front to rear and left side to right. If you are on an even surface, adust until the four corners are equi-distant from the surface. Use a tape measure to get these measurements.

You are near completing ths project... when the above is accomplished, it is time to sit back and have a nice cool drink!!

Good luck.

Jerry Curtis
2406 T
Fredericksburg, TX.
jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #6

Default Not sure about the drink

Yes, the project is winding down, however I still have the back wall to do. Sure wish I saw all these problems before I bought this trailer. But, after research, I wanted one of these, mainly how easy they towed. A closer look instead of jumping on this would have saved me a ton of work. I have a lousy feeling there is a problem with the top. The air conditioner cover on the inside, a couple of the screws just turn, and don't tighten. Have a feeling some of the cross bracing is rotted. Not sure what to do. Oh well, at least it's still warm down here in SC, looks like I may have more work ahead for me. Good thing I don't need to use this before April, the next time a head to VA for a shooting match. Thanks for suggestions and help, sure appreciate everything.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:22 AM   #7
sam

Default Short cables.

Relichunter,You might be able to use some of the information in cable replacement. The post is 3-3-2010. Chin up,you will be able to get your HiLo restored. It probably will be better than original. We are here to help you as needed.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:17 AM   #8

Default Reply to Sam

You seem to me to be the Dean of the Hi-Lo. I will look up the info this morning. When the rebuild is finally done, my only other concern is: Does this trailer have a on board battery charger, if it does, ain't working. The other thing is the furnace blower works, when I set it for heat, seems to take the call for heat, small problem, no heat. My simple solution is I have all this old wood, guess I could start a fire to keep warm. I'll get it all fixed, hopefully before the cows come home. Thanks for all your advice, and that of others. Will keep you informed. Your all good people.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relichunter View Post
You seem to me to be the Dean of the Hi-Lo. I will look up the info this morning. When the rebuild is finally done, my only other concern is: Does this trailer have a on board battery charger, if it does, ain't working. The other thing is the furnace blower works, when I set it for heat, seems to take the call for heat, small problem, no heat. My simple solution is I have all this old wood, guess I could start a fire to keep warm. I'll get it all fixed, hopefully before the cows come home. Thanks for all your advice, and that of others. Will keep you informed. Your all good people.
You need to check to see if the convertor/charger is putting out current to the battery. Check to see if there is at least 13 volts is going to the battery terminals. If not there could be a blown fuse in the unit. Check your battery to see if it is taking/holding a charge. Look in the furnace manual for a troubleshooting section. You can download manuals from the furnace maker's website if you don't have one.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #10
sam

Default Furnice blowing no heat.

Consulted with Dh as we had this problemafter a few years of ownership. Went on the blink in the dead of winter. Call Mantelli trailer sales and talked to Jay Simon in parts. Followed his instructions and it has worked ever since. A no cost fix. The problem is the flame verification electrode. It is used to tell the furnice(controller) that the flame is indeed lit. Thermocouple(electrode) needs to be positioned closer to the flame. It needs to verify that the gas is lit. It sends the voltage back to the controller. This is the first thing you should check. Videos are available on you tube. Hopefully we described this to you correctly. Is the ignitor bad? Post back if you need further advice. Mantelli trailer sales !-716-625-8877. Jay Simon in parts or Steve Brendel -service manager can answer any HiLo questions. This time of year they are a little slower and would have time to answer questions.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote