Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Community Forums > General Hi-Lo camper discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 07-20-2014, 06:11 PM   #1

Default Sounds Crazy but.. Make Hi-Lo Camper a non Hi-Lo

We got a Hi-lo recently. Its a 27 footer full of water damage. We have gutted out the inside completely. Floor, ceilings side walls. A complete redo. The roof is caving and we need to add L-Irons to bring the roof back up.

I started thinking why not simply make the Hi-Lo a permanent pull trailer with no raising and lower of the roof?

If the trailer is already gutted out why not proceed with making a full wood frame and bypassing the Hi-Lo roof. I know it sounds crazy but the more we look at the build quality the more we notice how flimsy the trailer is. I know its meant to be this way for the weight but at this point with the trailer gutted out I think it makes more sense to use what we have to make this a more permanent trailer with standard roof and walls.

I know it adds to towing weight and gas milage but I think we would have a stronger trailer when we are finished and we can take advantage of the existing lower half of the trailer like the electrical, bathroom, heater and such.

What are your opinions on this? What are the pros and cons? Has anyone ever attempted this?

frankic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:23 PM   #2

Why not sell it as is to someone who wants a Hilo and is willing to rebuild it?
Travel trailers in good shape are too easy to find for little money. another month and there will be more coming on the market. If you want a bigger one they are out there in decent shape starting as low as $500.
I have just started a major redo on our Towlite but if I wanted to burn the gas I have a nice 79 Coachmen in the back yard that we use for guests that is serviceable and has historic plates good until 2040. I paid $500 for it (at a dealer) and it has AC new toilet, furnace, stove, fridge and sleeps 7, and everything worked when we got it. I had to repair a hole in the floor that took a couple hours, and last year I rebuilt the front because of water damage. That took about 16 hours and 40 bucks.
Currently I am seeing the HIlo's selling for great prices in this area.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:35 PM   #3

Hey Charlie.. I purchased the Hi-Lo with that intention. 70 percent of it is already gutted. The problem I see so far is the iron rods for the ceiling are majorly cracked and caving in. I have used some L-irons to tighten them up a bit but it seems a little flimsy. There is major rust as well. This concerns me quite a bit since I have 3 girls. There is major water damage and I am redoing the entire floor and all the walls.

I am willing to do the work and want a hi-Lo but I am concerned with the integrity of the roof and rust on the iron. This is why I am contemplating the all wood scenario. I am no welder so I am limited with the roof.

The upper half has to be lifted as well to redo the walls and bottom section where the lift cables go. It's a huge undertaking.
frankic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankic View Post
Hey Charlie.. I purchased the Hi-Lo with that intention. 70 percent of it is already gutted. The problem I see so far is the iron rods for the ceiling are majorly cracked and caving in. I have used some L-irons to tighten them up a bit but it seems a little flimsy. There is major rust as well. This concerns me quite a bit since I have 3 girls. There is major water damage and I am redoing the entire floor and all the walls.

I am willing to do the work and want a hi-Lo but I am concerned with the integrity of the roof and rust on the iron. This is why I am contemplating the all wood scenario. I am no welder so I am limited with the roof.

The upper half has to be lifted as well to redo the walls and bottom section where the lift cables go. It's a huge undertaking.
Hi Frankic, welcome to the forum. I consider myself a good cabinet maker and as a hobby I have made numerous quality cabinets and furniture. However, I do not like taking cabinets/furniture apart and refurbishing them, but if you search the forum for refurbs you will see that a number of members have had to refurb the upper half of the trailer due to rusted or rotten beams. Check out their pictures and comments and then decide if this is something you want to tackle. And what ever you decide, good luck!
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hi-lo custom, permanent roof, redo, roof