Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 12-02-2012, 09:30 PM   #1

Default Tilt out or Expanda-room does not work

We have a 2007 27 ft. with Tilt out or ExpandA-Room that just stopped working.
1. Do these Powerwinch motors have a fuse or breaker? If so, where is it located?

2. I have located motor in over head cabinet, but what would be best way to test it with volt meter?

3. The switch is located in panel next to oven. How do you get to it to test it or remove it?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks Earl

AZ 2 Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ 2 Dogs View Post
1. Do these Powerwinch motors have a fuse or breaker? If so, where is it located?

2. I have located motor in over head cabinet, but what would be best way to test it with volt meter?

3. The switch is located in panel next to oven. How do you get to it to test it or remove it?

Thanks Earl
Hi Earl, just last week or so, another forum member's tip-out motor quit working and they found the power wire disconnected in the battery compartment... I had a similar problem once with our 2807C. It sounds like you are on the right track with your troubleshooting plan.... Of course, you will need to operate the toggle switch while volt-testing the motor.... I'd check both ends before fighting with the oven and switch.....
You should be able to lift and place the tip-out in and out by hand but, may need a hand... Good luck and lets us know what you find for members future issues with their tip-outs..... Bob

Bubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:55 AM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ 2 Dogs View Post

Thanks Earl
Earl,

We have a 2406 T and the switch for the tilt out is located in one of our storage bins and is just above where the power switch for raising and lowering the top is located. We are just unloading so I went out to give it a quick check that might be of help to you. The first picture I took [image 0003] is the back of the toggle switch for controlling the tilt out.The incoming battery is located on the "B" Terminals on the back side of the control switch. The "A" & "C" terminals go to the up/down switches in the motor compartment.

Surprisingly, I found that the Ground wire on the back of my switch was loose so you might check all the connections on the back terminal block. The toggle switch in the up or down position applies battery to the motor relays in picture 0004. You should check all the connections on the back of the toggle switch as well as those where they are connected to the motor. If you find no loose connections then using your volt-ohm meter, check for incoming voltage and ground on the center connections [Terminal "B"].

On mine the red is the hot wire and the black is ground. You should get a 12 volt reading when you apply your probes to the red and black leads[may be different color ground on yours]. When you toggle the switch in the up position, it should apply battery to the circuit that raises the tilt out and when you toggle the switch down, it would power the other circuit. If you do not have a 12 volt reading on the "B" connections on the toggle switch, then you must determine which is missing, the battery or the ground. Process of elimination should determine that.

The back side of the toggle switch happens to be where my wife stores groceries when we are on a trip. With all the 'stuff' she crammed in there, it probably pressured the ground connection loose or it vibrated loose during travel.

One thing to consider, there seems to have been a quality control issue with some of the factory workers so your connections may be different than mine. I noticed the grounds from the "A" and "C" terminals were reversed when they arrived at the motor connector; whether this was by design, I do not know as I do not have a wiring diagram for the motor assembly.

I hope this helps.

Jerry Curtis
2406 T
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0003.jpg (80.6 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0004.jpg (89.7 KB, 54 views)
jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:34 PM   #4

Default Tilt out now working

It has been an experience but I now have tilt out working. I had to remove winch assembly from cabinet. Remove motor, take it apart, and do some sanding and greasing of bushings. Plus, getting it back together was a real chalenge. Trying to hold 4 brushes in place while you put motor back together is not fun.
Here are some of the things I found out:

1. Powerwinch Company built the motor and winch assembly and is now a division of Carefree of Colorado. They NO longer sell just the motor. They want you to buy WHOLE assembly for some rediculous amount.
2. These motors can not be rebuilt since they have bushings, not bearings. Also, do not know where you would find brushes if they wear out.
3. I was only able to get 2 out of the 3 bolts back in place that hold winch assembly in cabinet.
4. If winch stops working again, I will just do it manually.

Hopefully you will never have a problem.
AZ 2 Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:20 AM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

AZ2D,

Good job! Isn't it satisfying when you can fix something yourself and not have to rely on a supplier who over charges for replacements? I'm glad you figured it out.

Inre to the brushes, in case you don't know, most hardware stores have a variety of brushes that will fit just about any small motor. If necessary, you may have to buy some that are not quite the proper fit and you can sand or grind them down to the correct size for your particular motor.

Thanks for the information of the type of motor and what you did to resolve it. That may help some forum member in the future.

Jerry Curtis 2406 T
jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:37 PM   #6

Smile

AZ 2 dogs, sorry to hear about the problem. Glad you got it fixed! When we bought ours last week the RV place didn't know how the lift worked, we had to show them. We are excited about having the Hi-Lo, been cleaning and putting stuff away. With the rain today found a small water leak from dinette side window, will fix when it quits raining. We are looking forward to our shakedown cruise with Charley T Postelwaite and his wife down to Tombstone after Christmas.

Superstition Slim

2008 Chevy Silverado XLT w/10k Equil-i-zer Hitch
2006 Hi-Lo 27T
riki4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:22 PM   #7
sam

Default Water leak

I know your unit isn't 10 years old. However you may need to remove your window and reseal with butyl tape and Lexell caulk. With the window removed you will be able to see the condition of your interior wall. I would hate to see you have to do mager wall rebuild down the line. It may be possible to just remove old caulk and reseal without having to take out the window. Anyway congrats on your new to you purchase.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote