Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 01-16-2015, 09:37 PM   #1

Default Time for a Cover

My son-in-law and daughter have an '89 Hi-Lo Funchaser. We live in Houston, TX so it gets pretty hot and humid here.

I did some research and understand covers made with the Sunbrella fabric are pretty good. Got a quote for $660 excluding shipping.

I know there are covers that cost less. He's looking for a cover that will last him 5-6 years.

I heard Adco covers would not last as long.

I would like to hear what your experience has been with RV covers.....good and bad.

Thanks in advance for your help!

89Hilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:59 PM   #2
Site Team

If it's exposed to sun, I think the ONLY cover that will last you 5-6 years is Sunbrella. I have one and it's in its seventh year now and this will be its last. The fabric is easily ripped now where it's been in constant sunlight and many of the seams are failing.

Yes, Sunbrella costs more, but the additional cost gives you more years of use than any other kind and you would probably pay more for two covers made of an inferior fabric to get the same lifespan.

Mine was made by Adco, and I got it through Camping World. I seem to recall it costing about $550. I've looked at the one you are considering and can see it is made somewhat better, so I can see it costing more.

- Jack

Old 01-18-2015, 09:39 PM   #3
sam

Default Time for a cover

You might possibly get a boating/canvas awning place to make you up one. Don't know how many feet your unit is? Could end up costing just as much.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:29 AM   #4

Default Cover

If you can, build a carport for it, then buy some shipping wrap to wrap the bottom where the top half overlaps the bottom half. This will prevent rats from enjoying the inside of your camper while it is in storage or idle. This is cheap "saran wrap" type material that is used to wrap new boats, etc. and can be found on the internet for about $17 per roll of 1000 feet.
Those covers like Adco, etc will be eaten up by the sun. I went through 2 covers in less than 5 years; then I built a shed. The warrantys on the covers are about 2 years and if you have any signs of sun damage, call the manufacturer and they will replace it. You will have to cut out the area that has damage along with the company's name that is on it and send this to the MFG. It was replaced, but the material is made out of sun prone disintegration.
sayhonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 12:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
You might possibly get a boating/canvas awning place to make you up one. Don't know how many feet your unit is? Could end up costing just as much.
This is exactly what we did! After our experience with the paper-like covers commonly made/sold for travel trailers, we decided to spend a bit more and have one made that would: 1. Fit the trailer, and 2. Last for many years.

We went to a local "canvas," shop and had them make the cover out of boat cover cloth. The cover is now on its fifth winter with absolutely no sign of wear or deterioration. We had them put zippers on either side of the door, for easy access inside the trailer. I also asked for vents around the sides and on the top, to keep under-cover condensation and moisture build-up to a minimum. Finished cost was about $800, so I expect the cover has now about equaled the total price of the papery covers we'd have gone through over the same period of time.

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hi-Lo cover low res.jpg (45.5 KB, 26 views)
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote