Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 10-15-2012, 03:37 PM   #1

Default Tip out Cable

The tip out cable fastners pulled out from the wall above the window. Has anyone tried to fix this?

charley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #2

What's the material under where the fastners pulled out? Wood or metal?

khhorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:00 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

Quote:
Originally Posted by charley View Post
The tip out cable fastners pulled out from the wall above the window. Has anyone tried to fix this?
Charley,

I just happened to have my cabinets in which the motor is located removed so I think I can help you with your question.

Attached is a picture [0002] of the motor and you can see that it has [2] bolts extending through the wall at the top. There are also [4] screws and I took one out and it is a wood screw.

If you have not removed your cabinets yet, I will give you a couple of pointers.

I found it is best to remove the motor cover and open the cabinet doors. [pic 0005]. This will then give you full access to the interior from the outside.

Next, using a flat blade screwdriver, gently pry up the 1/4" Luan in the bottom of the cabinets. [Pic 0006]. Once started the Luan will come up very easily. When you have removed the bottoms on each side of the cabinet [pic 0003] you will see [4] screws that are screwed into the wall, two on each side. When these and the [4] screws in the front trim are removed, you can then remove the entire cabinet and have full access to your tilt-out motor. There is a small block that is a little difficult to get to come out when you are removing the shelving unit so you may need your wife or neighbor to help. The cabinets are not heavy just bulky and you will have to apply pressure to get that block out.

I cannot determine if the bolts are mounted through a metal bracket or wooden plate . I hope those are not the ones that have pulled loose. When I removed the bottoms of the cabinets, I also removed the little staples and will use a wooden staple gun to restaple when I get it back together. When you are ready to remount the shelving unit, do not forget to place the bottoms inside the unit before you remount. Once you have replaced the [4] screws, then you can staple the bottoms down.

I am sure several of us on the forum would like to know the outcome of your problem and if you are able to fix it yourself. Pictures would be great too!

Good Luck.

Jerry Curtis
2406T
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0002.jpg (90.9 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0005.jpg (91.1 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0006.jpg (85.9 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0003.jpg (86.0 KB, 57 views)
jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:19 PM   #4
sam

Default Tip out cable.

Jcurtis95,You did a great job with your repair description and pictures. I would add that it is best to put the bottom of the cupboard(thin board back in the cupboard now). That way you won"t forget like we did when alot of time goes by before reassembly. It is impossible to put the bottom in when the cupboard is back on the wall. Best of luck with your repairs. I know that you are looking forward to some relaxing camping in the now cooler Texas weather.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote