Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Community Forums > General Hi-Lo camper discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 11-10-2014, 07:41 PM   #1

Question toilet brush in toilet

Well I got the shower stopper out and took showers every night but when I took a shower the vanity got wet inside. But only with cold water. When you run the cold faucet no problem. Now for the great part. Was going to winterize before coming home and was cleaning the inside rim of the toilet bowl and the brush came loose and fell in, couldn't get it out no matter what we used. Tried today with a shop vac and its still there. Any solutions?

Janice Gealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:45 PM   #2

Janice

When showering is your gray tank open to a drain on the outside of your trlr? The dump valves!

Why you might ask.

As a licensed plumber I know that it is physically impossible for a drain to selectively drain only cold water.

I would suspect that you do not have your gray tank open to ground drain. Therefore the water is NOT draining out and is over filling the gray tank. Your gray tank can only hold a limited amount of water before it raises to a level above the tank top and begins to raise into the vent pipe.
Have you observed where the leaking is occurring? If it occurs in the closet it shouldn't be hard to find! There is a very limited amount of piping in the closet area. But could be coming from the vanity area instead.
A flashlight will help immensely in your search.

As for the toilet brush issue. My toilet bowl cannot swallow anything without me actuating/flushing the LARGE BALL VALVE in the bottom of the toilet. So, the brush wouldn't go down unless I/you physically opened the drain and flushed it down.
Have you tried opening the black drain on the outside of the trlr. The toilet is connected to the black tank only, and the exterior dump valve is how you empty the black tank.
If the brush is too large it won't pass. If this is true I have no idea how to get the brush back with out pulling it out of the drain to the exterior, or disassembling the toilet to gain access to the black tank top opening.

HTH

steve

kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:54 PM   #3
Site Team

Janice, can you see the brush? If so, could you "hook" it with a bent coat hangar wire?

Like Steve said, unless the valve in the toilet bowl was open, nothing can fall in, but, I guess you blocked it open?

If it's not too big, it may come out the black water drain if the black tank is filled with water and then the drain is opened. If you can't get it out, it probably won't really hurt anything.

- Jack
JackandJanet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 04:46 AM   #4

Other than it might seem rather gross, the only way I see to get it out is to just reach in and get it with your fingers. I also have a little different opinion as to leaving it in there. The brush will eventually end up at the opening to the dump valve, stopping the exit of all solids. Leaving it in there is NOT a good idea.
2014 Ford F-350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:29 AM   #5

Could you get ahold it with a mechanic's claw tool? You can probably find one at Walmart or Home Depot.
TEKTON 7597 36-Inch Claw Pick-Up Tool - Hand Tool Sets - Amazon.com
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:43 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Other than it might seem rather gross, the only way I see to get it out is to just reach in and get it with your fingers. I also have a little different opinion as to leaving it in there. The brush will eventually end up at the opening to the dump valve, stopping the exit of all solids. Leaving it in there is NOT a good idea.
You're right, of course. I forgot that some people might place solids in there. (We don't).

I wonder if it might be easier to extract if it were at the drain opening?

Wear gloves if you have to reach in. Having worked in a hospital during my college days, I can tell you that "gross" is mostly a subjective experience, and, soap and water gets things clean.

- Jack
Old 11-11-2014, 12:01 PM   #7

Jack, I thought that Brenda and I were the only ones that choose not to place solids in our black water tank. We generally choose to use the facilities at the camp ground or the Johnny-on-the-job at rallies. Either way, I had to laugh when I read your "gross" is mostly a subjective experience. When I think back on two children and six grandchildren there were many "subjective" experiences.
2014 Ford F-350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 01:09 PM   #8

The thought of "gross" had crossed my mind.
The subjective issue is misspent on myself personally.

I was a nurse for 25 years. There is NOTHING in the human body that I have NOT worn on my clothing, shoes, skin, hair.

Then onto my last profession, plumber. It wasn't as bad, since I rarely wore, or was exposed to less of the "gross" things in life.

I DO glove when messing with the YUCKY things now days.

steve, and yes I can be gross!
kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:06 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Jack, I thought that Brenda and I were the only ones that choose not to place solids in our black water tank. We generally choose to use the facilities at the camp ground or the Johnny-on-the-job at rallies. Either way, I had to laugh when I read your "gross" is mostly a subjective experience. When I think back on two children and six grandchildren there were many "subjective" experiences.
Yup, our "convenience" is only for the "during the night" calls to nature and, maybe during the day if the weather should be really foul.

It's funny isn't it? That "gross" stuff is just processed food.

- Jack
Old 11-11-2014, 09:41 PM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
Could you get ahold it with a mechanic's claw tool? You can probably find one at Walmart or Home Depot.
TEKTON 7597 36-Inch Claw Pick-Up Tool - Hand Tool Sets - Amazon.com
Mechanical fingers were the first thing I thought of too.

RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote