Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 09-07-2017, 11:00 PM   #1

Default tongue jack

i need to replace the tongue jack on my 85 hilo.i was thinking about getting an electric jack..is 2000 lb good enough or do i need to go bigger?...thanks in advance

keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:22 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by keystone View Post
i need to replace the tongue jack on my 85 hilo.i was thinking about getting an electric jack..is 2000 lb good enough or do i need to go bigger?...thanks in advance
If you are using a Weight Distributing Hitch (WDH), you'll need to use the jack to lift the trailer/tow vehicle assembly once you have locked the ball in place so that you can set the spring bars properly. I'd get one that's rated 3500#. You'll be lifting both the front of the trailer and the rear of your tow vehicle.

You'll also use it to lift both so you can disconnect the spring bars when you arrive at camp.

- Jack

Old 09-07-2017, 11:24 PM   #3

i dont have a WDH
Old 09-07-2017, 11:40 PM   #4
Site Team

Key, how big is your trailer? If it weighs anything over 3000#, you SHOULD be using a WDH. Otherwise, ALL the tongue weight will be carried on the back axle of your tow vehicle. This lifts the front of the TV, reducing traction of the front wheels (where you do your steering), also reduces the braking of your tow vehicle since most is done at the front wheels and since braking causes the trailer nose to dive, this lifts the front of your TV even more. Your rear axle will probably be overloaded without a WDH. And finally, your headlights will be aimed high if you do any towing at night.

I believe a 3000# trailer REQUIRES a WDH by law in Arizona, too. It's also required by law at that weight in most other States.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:50 PM   #5

my hilo measures 20 foot from the front of the tongue to the rear bumper
Old 09-07-2017, 11:53 PM   #6
Site Team

OK, that's a 20-ft Hi-Lo. Mine is 17-ft and it weighs 3500#, with a tongue weight of a bit over 500#.

Unless you are pulling that trailer with a Super Duty class truck, I think you need a WDH!

Edit: There's two other advantages that a WDH offer:

1. Because it applies a semi-rigid framework between the tow vehicle and the trailer axles, it effectively increases your wheelbase, giving you a "smoother" ride.

2. Because of the way the spring bars act to pull the trailer tongue coupler DOWN onto the towing ball, I think it makes an accidental separation of the trailer from the tow vehicle almost impossible.
- Jack
Old 09-09-2017, 05:59 PM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by keystone View Post
I replaced mine with an electric. Very simple to do. I found the best deal on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...k&_sacat=50067
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 07:03 PM   #8

Get a WDH with 600#or 800# spring bars and the 3500# capacity electric jack. It will save your arms unless you are in need of the work out. Again, if you have a super duty truck, towing it on the ball alone is just going to add more stress to your pull.

I have both the WDH with 800# bars and the 3500# electric jack. I can run the jack up high enough that I can set the spring bars by hand. That is a comfort.
Bravada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 11:27 PM   #9
Site Team

Bravada just gave you great advice. I'd get a WDH with MORE than a 600# capacity though. Mine is 600# and I'm very close to that weight if I fill the fresh water tank.

Ideally, you need a WDH capacity that is more than the tongue weight, but not TOO much more. This provides the necessary "springiness". I think a perfect WDH for you would be 800# if you can find one at that level. In the past, that rating has seemed hard to locate but there are plenty of 1000# WDH's available. They would work.

- Jack