Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 07-26-2011, 05:46 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES
Default Tongue Lock

What kind of tongue lock is recommended? I was given two different Master Lock tongue locks and neither seem to fit right.

RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:39 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to sting32

I need more info...

trying to keep it locked to tow vehicle? ya just need a padlock, there is a hole on the clamping lever to lock it, should have a pin in it for safety if you dont lock it, like I do.

Trying to keep type3 hitch locked in to vehicle? they have pins you replace the one with clip, to lock that hitch into reciever.

trying to keep theives from stealing camper while not connectd to towvehicle? padlock as stated before stops some, high dollar locks that cover the whole ball connection area work. I have a ball, that has cut off the base bolt (that mounts it to a hitch), I shove into ball area, and just use my padlock. Dont us a ball with bolt or anyting, because theif could take his ball off, then back under your trailer with ball and bolt sticking out, tighten the nut they used on his hitch ball... They could dissassemble the locking cog (it is on there with standard nut). I have seen it done when in California... if they have "all the time in the world" to steal it, then they will amaze you on lentgths they can and will take if they want it (and the damage they do). I say, pay decent insurance, let it be less than easy to steal, if they do, find another... LOL.

I live in small town, dont usually even have to use such devices.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:11 PM   #3

Sting,

I was looking for something to secure the trailer when I have to drive off. I guess the best thing to do is stick a pad lock throught the safety pin.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:35 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to vannooch

I use one of these:

Gorilla Guard Trailer hitch lock - Bing Images
Luke 1:49
vannooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:17 PM   #5
Site Team

I have this kind: Products - Trailer Coupler Locks - 379ATPY - Master Lock

I bought mine at Checker Auto Parts, and I'm sure it did not cost as much as this link shows. (Mine's chrome plated too.)

And, I put a padlock through the ball latch too.

- Jack
Old 07-27-2011, 08:30 PM   #6

I just use a Master Lock with a 3" hasp thru the tongue latch. You could use the "redneck" lock version - get another ball (whatever size you use) and cut off the threaded shank. Lift the tongue lever, insert the ball, and release the latch. Now place the padlock thru the latch. Just reverse the process when you get ready to hook up. Gravity will remove the shankless ball when you raise the lever. It's simple, easy, and cheap.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post

I bought mine at Checker Auto Parts, and I'm sure it did not cost as much as this link shows. (Mine's chrome plated too.)

- Jack
I like the looks of that lock. I wouldn't trust a padlock. They are to easy to cut with bolt cutters. They might not open when you shoot them with a gun as the old commercial used to show, but they won't stand up to bolt cutters.

1998 21TL
2005 Silverado
Thankful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:18 AM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to sting32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thankful View Post
I like the looks of that lock. I wouldn't trust a padlock. They are to easy to cut with bolt cutters. They might not open when you shoot them with a gun as the old commercial used to show, but they won't stand up to bolt cutters.
Yah you are right about that, and I forget because I live so rural where people seem to watch each other more, lol. that the biggest problem I have faced is having the lock on there, and cant figure out who moved the keys for the dang lock!

So with you guys talking about this, now Im thinking Ill want a better than padlock (I guess) for when I head to some big city, so they cant take my trailer off my tow-vehicle, like I have read about enclosed trailers seem to have happen? I have learned to park the trailer to where they have to steal the truck when they wanna steal the trailer, like at motels or walmart, lol.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:46 PM   #9

I finally found a tongue lock. Fits perfect. The Sunday paper had a 20% off coupon so I got this for $23.99 plus tax. "A lock just keeps an honest person honest."

EZ Lock Trailer Lock
Old 02-13-2013, 10:16 PM   #10

Right now we are using a standard master lock to secure the trailer once we've unhooked from my Tundra. I tried an old boat trailer Master Lock tongue lock I had laying around and it was only 2" and didn't fit.

Our 1989 22' Funchaser fits on a 2 5/16" ball. Here's a pic of my trailer tongue. Not sure if this is standard issue for most Hi-Lo trailers.

We want to get a good tongue lock and have seen others posted in this thread. Will all the tongue locks posted here fit our trailer? Which one is the best?

89Hilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post

- Jack
This Master lock does not fit some of the couplers used by Hi-Lo. I bought one for my 2408T a few weeks ago and was disappointed. The issue is the wide lip around the outside of the coupler.

Raul
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton Rider View Post
This Master lock does not fit some of the couplers used by Hi-Lo. I bought one for my 2408T a few weeks ago and was disappointed. The issue is the wide lip around the outside of the coupler.

Raul
I bought one of the yellow Master locks at HD and it was not wide enough. I found this one on Amazon that appears to be wide enough but I would want to try it out before recommending it. Diversi-Tech DIVDT-25013 4th Generation Maximum Security Coupler Lock : Amazon.com : Automotive

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote