General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-25-2016, 05:24 PM   #1
Member
 
Janice Gealey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Toms River, NJ
Posts: 47
Default Towing Capacity Question Need HELP fast

Hi, I took my Hi Lo Towlight 19T Camper in for servicing, grease, pulley lubrication. Anyway the owner of this small RV place told me he used to sell Hi Lo trailers years ago and that I was going to damage my axle. My vehicle capacity weight is 1296. The engine is 3.3GDl without brake system 1653 lbs., with trailer package and brake system (which I am having put on) 5000. maximum permissible static vertical load on the coupling device 500 lbs. all this I quoted from the manual that came with the car. It is a 2013 Hyundai, 7 seater and supposed to tow 5000. My nephew said I need shocks because he noticed that the trailer and car bend down by the hitch, (forming a small V) and that shocks would raise my car in the back. I am now scared to travel with this and don't know what to do. I am good at math but not at figuring out what weight I can safely tow or not. Can any of you help me. Update. As you know my granddaughter is highly autistic and has now been accepted into a private school that seems to be meeting her needs, academically and emotional. My daughter has been home with her for 2 1/2 years now and might be able to go back to work part time. So prayers are answered. Thanks to all of you, I love this group and my Hi Lo. Janice
__________________

Janice Gealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:44 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
JackandJanet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pine, AZ
Posts: 2,620
Default

Janice, I think you are right at the tongue weight limit for the Hyundai. I DON'T think heavy duty shocks are the answer. The purpose of shock absorbers is to dampen out the up and down bounce of springs that would occur if there were no shocks present. A vehicle with bad shocks bounces up and down constantly, even on a fairly smooth road. Shocks DO NOT increase the load carrying capacity.

You absolutely need a Weight Distributing Hitch (WDH) with that tow vehicle and trailer. If you have one and the tow vehicle sags at the rear and the trailer sags at the front, the WDH is not set up properly. If it uses chains, the chain needs to be attached at a lower link (effectively shortening the chain). Ideally, the tow vehicle and trailer should look level when set up properly. You want equal compression on both the front and rear axle springs with the trailer tongue weight on the tow vehicle hitch. The WDH can do this if it is set up right.

I'd prefer to see you in a tow vehicle with more load carrying capacity, but I can understand if that's not in the cards. Just don't drive over rough roads much and try to limit the amount of uphill and downhill trips. A prolonged steep uphill grade will almost certainly overheat your engine and might damage your transmission.

- Jack
__________________

__________________
Hi-Lo 1707T - Tire Minder TPMS on Tow Vehicle and Trailer, 300W Solar Battery Charger, Equal-i-zer WDH
2014 F150 Platinum 4x4 3.5L EcoBoost SCrew
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:22 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
RCREYES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Far West Texas
Posts: 1,157
Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice Gealey View Post
Hi, I took my Hi Lo Towlight 19T Camper in for servicing, grease, pulley lubrication. Anyway the owner of this small RV place told me he used to sell Hi Lo trailers years ago and that I was going to damage my axle. My vehicle capacity weight is 1296. The engine is 3.3GDl without brake system 1653 lbs., with trailer package and brake system (which I am having put on) 5000. maximum permissible static vertical load on the coupling device 500 lbs. all this I quoted from the manual that came with the car. It is a 2013 Hyundai, 7 seater and supposed to tow 5000. My nephew said I need shocks because he noticed that the trailer and car bend down by the hitch, (forming a small V) and that shocks would raise my car in the back. I am now scared to travel with this and don't know what to do. I am good at math but not at figuring out what weight I can safely tow or not. Can any of you help me. Update. As you know my granddaughter is highly autistic and has now been accepted into a private school that seems to be meeting her needs, academically and emotional. My daughter has been home with her for 2 1/2 years now and might be able to go back to work part time. So prayers are answered. Thanks to all of you, I love this group and my Hi Lo. Janice
Google 2013 towing guide. Looks like the Santa Fe with the V-6 is only 3500.
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:31 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 164
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCREYES View Post
Google 2013 towing guide. Looks like the Santa Fe with the V-6 is only 3500.
Everything I see it's 5000 pounds. I think a 19T will be fine. Your suv is set up for a soft ride in back hence the sag. A weight distribution hitch with anti sway is the best and there are some easy, simple, yet functional ones for under $300. I got the fast way E2 hitch with a 8000 pound rating from Amazon and it includes the hitch side as well with free shipping for under $300. All you need to add is a ball. I would get a 5000 pound rated one though for the 19T not the 8000 pound as the 8000 is designed for 800 pounds of tounge weight (we have a new 6000 pound traditional camper now).
You could also add airbags to the springs in back but I would get a weight distribution hitch set up right first and see how that is.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:51 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
RCREYES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Far West Texas
Posts: 1,157
Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
Everything I see it's 5000 pounds. I think a 19T will be fine. Your suv is set up for a soft ride in back hence the sag. A weight distribution hitch with anti sway is the best and there are some easy, simple, yet functional ones for under $300. I got the fast way E2 hitch with a 8000 pound rating from Amazon and it includes the hitch side as well with free shipping for under $300. All you need to add is a ball. I would get a 5000 pound rated one though for the 19T not the 8000 pound as the 8000 is designed for 800 pounds of tounge weight (we have a new 6000 pound traditional camper now).
You could also add airbags to the springs in back but I would get a weight distribution hitch set up right first and see how that is.
Says Santa Fe with 3.5 is 3,500, 2.4 2,000. All Tucson 2,000.

http://prodcontent.s3.amazonaws.com/...wGuide2013.pdf
__________________
"Ruben"
2404T, 2003 2500HD 4X4 GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab w/Astro camper shell and 2003 Chevy Tahoe LE 4X2
Far West Texas
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:04 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 164
Default

The Santa Fe doesn't even have a 3.5 in 2013. Wrong info in that guide.

Direct from Hyundai http://www.hyundaiproductinformation...dimensions.asp
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:50 AM   #7
Moderator
 
RichR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NW PA
Posts: 3,048
Default

The Trailer Life guide shows 3500# with the 3.5 engine.
Trailer Towing Guides | Trailer Life Magazine
__________________
My Great Wife Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
Formerly owned 1705T and 2310H
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:42 AM   #8
Member
 
Janice Gealey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Toms River, NJ
Posts: 47
Default

Thank you, I am having U Haul check my hitch today as it was put on in 2013 when I was towing a pop up. Will let everyone know what happens. Janice
__________________

Janice Gealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
HiLoTrailerForum.com Copyright 2010