Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Community Forums > General Hi-Lo camper discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 05-25-2013, 01:50 AM   #1

Default Trailer Aid vs Trailer Aid Plus

Is the 1 " extra lift on the Trailer Aid Plus really an advantage? It's not that much more ($10) but my dh and I are pondering the merits of it. My husband doesn't see the advantage and I have no idea so I thought i'd ask the experts

Kathy

zookeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:58 AM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

Quote:
Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
Is the 1 " extra lift on the Trailer Aid Plus really an advantage? It's not that much more ($10) but my dh and I are pondering the merits of it. My husband doesn't see the advantage and I have no idea so I thought i'd ask the experts

Kathy
I am certainly not an expert but I bought the trailer-aid plus. The extra couple of inches off the ground made it real easy to change a flat within 3 weeks of my purchasing it. I would pay the extra $10.

Jerry Curtis
2406 T

jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:20 PM   #3

I own the original Trailer Aid and have used it on several occasions with no problems. My HiLo has 15" tires. Perhaps other brands have larger tires and the need for additional height was necessary and the manufacturer responded. If I didn't already own one, I would opt for the plus model. You never know when an extra inch might be needed. Not having the proper tools can make you or break you on any project. This is only my opinion.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:26 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

I own 2 Hi-Lo's with over a hundred thousand miles of towing, many flats on the 95. I never had a problem changing tires or any other clearance problems while towing. The 2209 has not had a flat yet, but I have removed tires at home to check the brakes and had no problem also no clearance problems towing. If you have had problems then yes it is worth it, just my opinion.
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:23 PM   #5
sam

Default Flat tire aid

Dh is sleeping so I can't askfor his advice. We had a flat at our house before leaving for a Sept. HiLo club campout. We hada heck of a time jacking the trailer up because we didn't realize that the leafspring was also broken. Might be worth the extra $10.00 for additional clearance.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopRichie77 View Post
I own 2 Hi-Lo's with over a hundred thousand miles of towing, many flats on the 95. I never had a problem changing tires or any other clearance problems while towing. The 2209 has not had a flat yet, but I have removed tires at home to check the brakes and had no problem also no clearance problems towing. If you have had problems then yes it is worth it, just my opinion.
PopRitchie,

It seems you have a lot of experience pulling your HiLo so maybe you can answer my question. I posted earlier this week that we are selling our HiLo after we get the hail damage repaired. I had planned on throwing in the Trailer-Aid since we have bought a Class 'C' MH and would have no use for it.

Since the MH is equipped with Dooley's I am wondering if the trailer-aid might come in handy if I had a flat on the outside tire; I could place it under the inside tire to change it out. Any thoughts on that? Maybe it would be too much weight as the MH weighs about 12K pounds.

Jerry Curtis
2406 T
Old 05-26-2013, 07:08 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

Sorry, can't answer your question as I didn't fully understand what the trailer Aid was.
I also want to correct a statement that I made about flats. I never had a flat or a tire blow out, but had many with broken steel belts and the tread came off.
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #8

Thanks Bob,

As you can see, I've never owned a Dooley either; I should have known that.

Jerry Curtis
2406 T
Old 05-26-2013, 07:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbie View Post
That is learned by owning and using one or two (actually 3)..... I should be studying the Tow Dolly Forum (if there is one) as we had some interesting and rather comical events the past 3 days with our new dolly.... Nothing hurt but embarrassing!!!
Hey, you should stay on the HiLo Forum with your insight and experience. I always enjoy your posts! Bob

Past RVs: '69 Eldorado Slide-In, '78 Cruisemaster Class-C, '83 Prowler TT, '89 StarCraft P-up, '01Coleman P-up, '04 Campmaster Toy Hauler, '07 Raptor Toy Hauler, '07 HiLo 2807C, Featherlite SURV Toy Hauler. Currently celebrating 40 years of RV'ing in a 2014 Minnie Winnie.

Bob,

I hope you can give me a little insight; tow dolly or tow-bar? Since we will be going to a Coachmen Freedom 27' MH with a possible gas guzzling chevy 6.0L engine, we are thinking we might as well look for a small 'Toad', [I think that is what they call a towed vehicle]. I know the tow dolly is more expensive but would it help with the mpg versus a tow bar? What do you use for a towed vehicle? I would want something used, light, economical, seats [4] and has AC.

Is there an advantage over using a dolly versus a bar insofar as the mpg?

I see from your previous and present RV list above you have been through the whole spectrum of Rv'ing. We started out tenting and bought our first RV in 1982, an early 70's Hi Lo. We then went to a new 40' Champagne edition Nu-Wa Hitchhiker and quickly changed to a new Carri-lite when I retired and we headed to the foreboding mountains of Colorado. From there we went to a 31' Hi-Lo, then a 40' Toy Hauler just before moving to Texas. It would not fit in our RV garage so we bought a new 32' Homeland Sundance 5th wheel. When my wife underwent surgery and the 5th wheel sat in the garage for two years, we sold it. Then she improved and we decided to buy a 2406 Tow lite; and now the Coachmen Motorhome.

Our most memorable experience was when we tented in campgrounds and RV parks from Colorado to Oregon. That was the least expensive, yet most enjoyable trip we have ever taken and we met so many nice people wherever we stayed.

In the new irv2 forum I just joined last week, a subject was brought up by a Class 3 RV'er who felt somewhat uncomfortable joining the forum because of the very expensive 500K to million-dollar motorhomes that are so prevalent among the members, and here he is with an older Class C and obviously felt out of place. There were several responses to the owner that assured him that he was most welcome and we each must live and do with what we can afford, after all, we cannot all be millionaires.

The Rv'ing and camping forums are to help and assist folks who have questions and problems that many of the members have experienced previously and can readily provide some advice or answers to the new or inexperienced members.

As you have so kindly remarked, I do have some experiences and being a hands-on DIYS kind of guy, I am always glad to help a fellow RV'er with what knowledge I have learned through trial and error or through past experiences. I do plan on remaining a 'happy camper' with the Hi Lo forum and will check in often to see what is going on and when needed, put in my two cents worth.

I would appreciate your responses about the 'Toad', and a tow-dolly versus a tow-bar.

Thanks,

Jerry Curtis 2406 T
Fredericksburg, TX
Old 05-26-2013, 07:58 PM   #10
Site Team

Jerry, I'm not Bob, but I would recommend the dolly. You don't want the driving wheels of the toad on the ground. It's bad for the transmission in it as I understand. If you DO have to tow with the driven wheels on the ground, it is recommended that the drive shaft be disconnected.

Now, if you have a stick shift in the toad, I think it doesn't matter. My remarks are for automatics.

- Jack
Old 05-26-2013, 10:56 PM   #11
sam

Default Towing a toad or dingy

Jerry,shoot me pm with your mailing address. I have a booklet that gives a lot of towing advice and lists specific vehicles. It would be no trouble for me to mail it to you. I think it is published by Trailer Life Magazine. Consider picking up some used equipment off craigs list ect.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:16 PM   #12

Jerry,
I would agree with Jack and Bubbie as well. I would recommend the dolly version. My experience comes from being a 10-ton wrecker operator in the military and Jack is correct that if the transmission is not disengaged by removing the drive shaft you could create other problems like potentially catching something on fire by the amount of heat being created by the transmission not being disengaged. I have seen this happen, trust me.