Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 06-01-2015, 10:31 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltool View Post
Given the low profile of the hi-lo, I would be interested in seeing further reviews on the effect of crosswinds compared to an Airstream. Asthetically and from a "cool: factor0 I get the Airstream. I love that "railroad car" design! From an unscientific observation, I have a buddy with an 18ft CASITA, which is VERY rounded and light- and he experiences more issues in winds with THAT than I do with my 22 ft hi-lo. That said- If I was looking to go to a rounded type of travel trailer, and spend airstream money, I would check out ESCAPE TRAILERS out of Canada. Molded fiberglass and no leaks. Plus- they have a pretty cool fith wheel model these days.

Rick
There are many factors that affect crosswind stability; so it is hard to make generalizations. Having said that, the area of the side of a vehicle, as well as it's height are definitely a factor. Hi-Los should be more stable due to their height when lowered.

Earlier I made a comment regarding rounded corners being more stable. Keep in mind that I meant the corners where the sides meet the roof, I did not mean front to back, or a rounded roof. A shape that is too rounded may in fact start creating lift. This may contribute to instability in cross winds.

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:06 AM   #42

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton Rider View Post
There are many factors that affect crosswind stability; so it is hard to make generalizations. Having said that, the area of the side of a vehicle, as well as it's height are definitely a factor. Hi-Los should be more stable due to their height when lowered.

Earlier I made a comment regarding rounded corners being more stable. Keep in mind that I meant the corners where the sides meet the roof, I did not mean front to back, or a rounded roof. A shape that is too rounded may in fact start creating lift. This may contribute to instability in cross winds.
So, How much lift could you get at 100 KPH?
These things aren't Cessnas.

Mel Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote