Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 10-28-2012, 09:09 PM   #1

Default Trailer Weight

We are going to purchase a 1987 Hi-Lo from family that has been well cared for. We're getting it for a good price and they are throwing in the weight distributing hitch so it sweetened the deal.

My concern however is the trailer weight. I couldn't find anything on it stating the weight when it left the factory and the current owner believes it is 3,500 lbs. I have a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Lerado that would be the tow vehicle and the max trailer weight rating is 3,500 lbs so I was hoping someone could confirm the trailer weight before we go through with the purchase and find out that we can't tow it.

bcorbett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:38 PM   #2
Site Team

You didn't give the length of the trailer so we can't even give you an educated guess on the weight.

I WILL say though that 3500# sounds low to me. My 17ft trailer is about that before I add water to the fresh water tank.

- Jack

Old 10-29-2012, 01:31 AM   #3
sam

Default Weight of trailer.

If need be have the owner hitch it up and take it to a truck scale. You are absolutely right that you must have a tow vehicle capable of safely towing the RV,well within the weight specs. Also consider full water and propane tanks,wt. of passengers and weight of contents of trailer. Food.clothing ect. It all adds up very quickly.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:16 AM   #4

I suspect your Jeep is an inline 6 model with a 3,500 lb tow capacity. You'd more than likely be overloaded by the time tanks and gear are loaded. Not sure about 1987 models, but might check left front corner for weight and tire information, or possibly on the frame.

You Jeep will probably need a 7 pin electrical connector if it doesn't have one already. Was the hitch factory installed or aftermarket? You'll also need an electric brake controller. If the hitch was factory installed they might have the wiring already in place. If not, then wiring will need to be added.
khhorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:09 PM   #5

Thanks for the prompt responses. We only looked at this quick over the weekend as we were also preparing for Sandy. I believe it is 17' and I don't believe we would have a need to tow it with any of the tanks full. It also has all original tires so those will need to be replaced before we are able to take it anywhere. Any Chance anybody knows the stock tire size and possibly where to find inexpensive replacements?

The Jeep has a 3.7L V6 and the engine is the only difference between it and other models with higher weight ratings so I don't think there will be any structural issues but rather a concern that the 3.7 will be able to move that much additional weight.

The Jeep did not come with the factory tow package however I do mostly all of my own mechanical and electrical work so installing a 7 pin will be no issues as I already have a 4 pin installed.

We'll be using this for short weekend getaways around the Adirondacks of NY so there wouldn't be too much strain on the vehicle from long trips.
bcorbett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:17 PM   #6
gus

that 3.7L might be too small of an engine to pull your trailer, my Hi-Lo is an 1981 classic model and I know the weight is over 3700lb, I used to have 2000 model Jeep with the famous inline 6, very good engine, but the towing capacity was 3500lb, and I knew if I tried to pull my trailer, I will be ruining the transmission, also it didn't have factory towing package, I have always been fan of Jeeps, so I sold it and got an older jeep with a 5.2L v8 with 5000lb capacity with factory towing package, with transmission coolers, and the 7 pin connector.
gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:19 PM   #7
sam

Default Inadequate tow vehicle.

I agree with gus that your tow vehicle is inadequate for the job. We just want you to be safe. I live in Niagara Falls and have relatives in the Adirondacks. Beautiful part of N.Y. state.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:55 AM   #8

The 3.7L will technically move the weight, but the real concern is how that weight impacts the driving and handling characteristics of the rig. We'd love to see you own the Hi-Lo, but want you to have a safe and enjoyable experience.

Usually when a tow package is installed upgraded springs/struts and differential are included. Check your vehicle to see what it has. You could go to a parking lot and hook up your Jeep to this Hi-Lo. Does the rig sit level? Does the front of the Jeep raise in the air? If the front is up in the air I would either pass on the camper, or think about upgrading your tow vehicle.
khhorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by khhorton View Post
The 3.7L will technically move the weight, but the real concern is how that weight impacts the driving and handling characteristics of the rig. We'd love to see you own the Hi-Lo, but want you to have a safe and enjoyable experience.

Usually when a tow package is installed upgraded springs/struts and differential are included. Check your vehicle to see what it has. You could go to a parking lot and hook up your Jeep to this Hi-Lo. Does the rig sit level? Does the front of the Jeep raise in the air? If the front is up in the air I would either pass on the camper, or think about upgrading your tow vehicle.
I have a 1988 jeep Cherokee with a 6 cyl. and I put on my own hitch and wiring I also added a very large trans. cooler and adjustable air shocks, and sway bar using regular 2 inch resever insert I also made sure the trailer brakes work, and I keep it at about 50-55 mph. no faster and in the short trips I have gone on [100miles] had no problems once I got use to having the trailer back there by the way the trailer is a 1973 single axel hi-lo. it weighs in at 2640lbs with one propain tank and some camping gear and deep cycle battery tounge weight is 320 jeep is rated for 5000lbs and tounge weight is 320
I found that it is very important to at least have good trailer brakes and large trans. cooler, and to drive in the cool of the day

Forest is offline   Reply With Quote