Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Community Forums > General Hi-Lo camper discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 09-24-2011, 07:15 AM   #1

Red face vintage homenade "hi-lo"

I just bought a homemade 1964 travel trailer that is very similar to a hi-lo. PO thinks it was made by a man who used to work for hi-lo and though I am new to hi-los, it looks much like the 60s hi-los I have found photos of online. Since it is homemade our "owner's manual" consists of a 1 typewritten list of instructions on how to raise and lower the camper. We want to replace the cables as one of our first projects and I am hoping to find some info about that--what cable to use, do you replace the cable when the trailer is in the hi or lo position, how do you determine the correct cable length, etc. Any info would be appreciated. BTW, I also own a 1964 Airstream and am hoping this forum will welcome me anyway.

64roadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:09 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to thermonieum

do you think he sort of picked it up one piece at a time like the song????

98 Jeep Cherokee
01 Explorer Sport Trac
thermonieum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:50 PM   #3

Default vintage homemade sorta hi-lo

Could be! I have no idea and am glad of it--the less I know about that, the better. I believe I am the 4th owner. It is in such good shape and the hi-los are a really cool trailer. I would like to keep this vintage camper on the road. Can anyone out there help me figure out the cable repair issue and how to replace the gasket between the two halves?
Old 09-25-2011, 05:27 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to thermonieum

there is a file on here about replacing the seal on a hilo, the tow lo which i'm guessing you may have was about the same set up. the cable replacement should be done with the top half supported in some way, 4x4s under the top landing area and then lowered all the way should put enough slack in the cables to ease replacement. check all pulleys and travel area well while you are doing this. a stuck or worn out pulley or anything rubbing the cables will cause premature wear.
98 Jeep Cherokee
01 Explorer Sport Trac
thermonieum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:04 PM   #5
sam

Default Replacing cables

Welcome 64 roadie. Check out the library section on replacing cables. Would love to see a picture of both of your trailers. Is your 64 Airstream restored? You will find our members very friendly and helpful.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:15 AM   #6

Default file on how to replace seal

Thanks for the welcome to the forum. I will post some pics when I get a chnace. I have looked for the file on how to replace the seal but can't find it. I have checked the library as well as other posts. What am I missing? Thanks.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:35 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

Here is a link to replacing the seal, they called a roof gasket which is a little confusing in my opinion.
http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f55/...of-gasket-220/
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:29 PM   #8

Default homemade hi-lo type trailer

Thanks for the info on gasket replacement. Here are the photos of my homemade trailer and one of my Airstream. How does my homemade hi-lo compare to the real thing? Anyone have any photos of a 1964 hi-lo?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roadie1.jpg (93.9 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg roadie2.jpg (91.4 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (97.0 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (90.7 KB, 164 views)
Old 10-10-2011, 12:48 AM   #9
sam

Default Pictures

Thanks for posting pictures.Your 64 Airstream looks in great shape. Did you have to do any restoration work to the airstream.?
Old 10-10-2011, 06:28 AM   #10

Default homemade hi-lo and 64 Airstream

I have had the 1964 Airstream for just a year now and it definitely was cared for before I got it and lots of it was original. I am the 7th owner and I am so glad all the other owners took good care of it. That said, we have put many hours of work in it. New tires, new furnace, new upholstery, new power converter, new paint on stove and refrigerator, new awning, new screen in door, worked on electrical issues, making all the lights and outlets work, repacked wheel bearings, added shelves in bathroom cabinet, replaced a section of the floor due to some water damage, sealed a couple of leaks, replaced gaskets on door, and so on. You know...typical vintage trailer type stuff. No biggie. We are putting the Airstream in storage for the winter and looking forward to starting on our homemade hi-lo. A nice winter project for our Ohio weather. Love how the hi-lo fits in the garage or barn!
Old 10-10-2011, 09:22 PM   #11
sam

Default 64 Airstream

My husband said that if we didn't have the HiLo he would like to have an airstream. Cousins of mine had an airstream when I was growing up and it fascinated me that he could back the long thing into our driveway. I spent quite a bit of time researching Airstreams over the winter. They seem to hold their value and a used older one could easily cost $3.000.00 to restore. I have clausterfobia and might not do well in this trailer. We live in the city of Niagara Falls,NY and we don't have the room in our driveway for any trailer. I am currently parked at my Mothers in the country for our restoration. Our 21 Yr. old hiLo has water dammage. Recently read where an Airstream owner spent an entire summer doing a full scale polish on the Airstream. I would loose my mind if I had to do this. Best of luck as you restore your HiLo.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:02 AM   #12

Default 1964 homemade hi-lo

The Airstream is a great trailer and holds its value well. I have invested quite a bit of $$$ in it on top of the initial cost to purchase and lots of hours of work. that goes with a territory with vintage. Polishing and possibly axle replacement are on the agenda for next summer. Both big jobs but we hope to tackle them ourselves to keep the cost down and just for our version of fun.

I am hoping to keep the homemade hi-lo restoration/remodel a little less costly, but since it is also a 1964 it needs cable replacement, roof gasket replacement, leaf spring replacement before I start on anything else. I was hoping by posting a pic of the homemade hi-lo I would get a reply from someone who knew the history of this trailer. I have read that Mr. Snyder made several prototypes. Could this possibly be one? Mine has all jealousy windows, something I love and haven't seen on any others, but the vintage pics seem to be scarce. Also, my siding is smooth, another feature I haven't noticed on the other vintage models. Mine looks a lot like a 66 I have seen a photo of and I would love to hear from anyone who has tackled some of the repairs we are planning to do on their vintage hi-lo. Vintage circa 64 means we are dealing with a hand crank, no hydraulics for the telescoping feature.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:01 PM   #13

Default hi lo doors?

Hi 64 Roadie:

I am a newbie here too! I have been working to make my own HI LO too. One thing I am muddled about is the door. Can you take some pics of the doors and how they hinge together, and how they make a seal to keep bugs out?

I would appreciate any info you can share about this door assembly. I am considering having the upper door swing out, and the inner door swing in. Not very handy, But I want to be able to go inside the camper with the roof down, and cant figure out how else to do that.\

Nice Airstream BTW! Someday!!!!

Thanks.
Cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:37 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

Both doors are separate on a reg Hi-Lo and both swing outward, top door overlaps the bottom door and has a seal that touches the top of the bottom door when up.
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:05 AM   #15

Default homemade 1964 hi-lo

My homemade hi-lo door does have the top portion swing out and the bottom portion swing in. Not the most convenient, but not really a problem either. I will take some detailed pics of the door this weekend and post them for you. We have only had this one for a few weeks, but so far we are impressed with the construction of this homemade version and love having a "one-of-a-kind". Kudos for having the resolve to build your own. Will help with photos of ours as needed, but keep in mind we are a vintage, old-school trailer, hand crank, no frills, but still a very useful trailer in its own right. We are putting the Airstream in storage for the winter this weekend and will now begin to really go over this trailer and see what we have and what we are going to do with it.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:25 PM   #16

Default 1964 homemade hi-lo doors

Here are the pics of the door on our 64 "hi-lo". The top portion of the door opens outward and the bottom section of the door swings inward. The other photo shows the seal between the doors--I think it is a weatherizing door sweep (the part that goes on the bottom of a door to seal out drafts) cut to fit the door.
roadiedoor1.jpg

roadiedoor2.jpg

roadiedoor3.jpg
Old 10-16-2011, 09:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64roadie View Post
Here are the pics of the door on our 64 "hi-lo". The top portion of the door opens outward and the bottom section of the door swings inward. The other photo shows the seal between the doors--I think it is a weatherizing door sweep (the part that goes on the bottom of a door to seal out drafts) cut to fit the door.
Attachment 1049

Attachment 1050

Attachment 1051
The alumium frame looks in really good shape, you might need stainless steel screws. Good luck with your trailer, it's nice to see the older ones.
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:46 AM   #18

I know this is a super old post, but I think 64roadie has a Tow-Low
MossyOakLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 12:47 PM   #19

What makes you think it is a Tow Low? I am interested in the history of this trailer.