Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 05-26-2012, 01:35 AM   #1

Default Water Heater

I have a 2003 29' HiLO Classic and I can not figure out who to get the water heater to work. Does any one know? I had a 22' 1991 and that one you just lite the pilot. I can not even find the water heater or know how this one turns on

Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:00 AM   #2

Hi Renee,

On my 2001, 29', the water heater is in the rear streetside corner of the trailer. However, with your trailer having the front kitchen, it might be located near the front. Just look on the outside bottom half of the trailer for vents. The refridge vent is plastic and has large horizontal slots while the water heater vent door is metal with smaller slots. Once you have found the water heater, make sure there is water in it. Hook up a hose to the water supply and open the pressure relief valve on the outside (behind the water heater door). If water comes out, then you are ok. If not, go inside where the tank is located and turn the by-pass valves on (located by the water heater) so that both handles are pointing in the direction of the water lines. This allows the water to flow into the tank. Your unit should be the electric/propane model. Look on the control panel, usually mounted by the refridge, and locate 2 switches that say "water heater a/c shut off" and "water heater DSI". MAKE SURE WATER HEATER HAS WATER IN IT before turning either switch on. With the trailer plugged in to shore power, the heater a/c shut off switch, when turned on, will heat the water with electric elements. With the propane turned on, the DSI switch will automatically light the heater using the propane. You do not have to manually light the heater. It is not advisable to heat the water with both switches turned on. You probably need to sanitize your water lines and flush out the water tank. Hope this helps you out.

Bob

retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:33 AM   #3

My 2202 has a small switch next to the fridge that isn't labeled. Flip it and it turns red, then you hear the water heater trying to light on propane. One the water heater lights, the light will go off on the switch. If the light stays on, it means the water heater hasn't lit and cleaning may need to take place.
Fireballsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:15 AM   #4

Sounds similar to the water heater in my 1999 classic 29B. Here is a couple of pictures that may help out in locating the switch and water heater. Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Water heater and Refrig Fan.jpg (91.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Water heater 3.jpg (88.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Water heater.jpg (92.9 KB, 30 views)
PappaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:32 AM   #5

Renee,

Here is the control panel in my 2001, 29' Classic unit. Bottom left 2 switches control the water heater.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Control Panel 001.jpg (86.4 KB, 17 views)
Old 05-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #6

Bob, isn't the hot water heater always on the driver's side of all trailer's because of the heat that comes out of the vent.
TESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #7

Hi Tess,

After a second look at the pic in the brochure, it was the furnace door I was looking at. Guess I had a "senior moment" while looking at it. What threw me off is that the refridge is on the curbside next to the entrance door. Thanks for the correction.

Bob
Attached Files
File Type: pdf scan0003.pdf (2.16 MB, 10 views)
Old 05-26-2012, 03:49 PM   #8

Tess,

Just got to thinking Some of the earlier trailers had the hot water tank located on the front of the trailer. I think they just put them anywhere they could due to the configuration of the interior and the length of the trailer. The furnace on my unit and Renee's unit is curbside. I would think a furnace would put out just as much hot exhaust or more than a water heater. I don't know. Perhaps someone on the forum can enlighten me on this. Anyway, thanks for catching my slip-up.

Bob
Old 05-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #9

Thanks guys I found the water heater and switched on the AC with which does not light but we did get hot water for only like a minute at a time. It runs hot full blast then trickles down to a cool little stream right away. We wait for an hour or so and it just keeps repeating
Old 05-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #10

Default Water Heater

Bu the way it was in the back of the trailer - thanks again. If any one knows why it only gives a little hot water at a time please let me know.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:56 PM   #11

I would check and make sure the water heater by-pass valves are fully open. Heating with electric will take a little longer to heat the water in the tank compared to using the propane.

Bob
Old 05-26-2012, 06:36 PM   #12

Default Water Heater

Thanks Bob - When the hubby gets off the golf course I will have him take a look.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:41 PM   #13

Bob maybe the trailer mfg. thinking if it cold outside the furnace hot exhaust would not matter, because you will not spent too much time outside trailer near exhaust vent.
TESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:16 AM   #14

Default water heater

Hi Bob - Well we did it. We found out that the diagram for the winterizing valves were the opposite of what they should have been. Switched them around and now we are in business. Thanks so much to all of you for helping, it is much nicer not to have to heat water on the stove for everything and I loved my nice hot shower.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:52 AM   #15

Default Plumbing

Makes me think of another item I need to do on my Hi Lo. The outside shower valves are plumbed in backwards. Hot on right/cold on left! But we don't use the outside shower that much so I've never change them.
My guess is that it came from the factory that way?
Glad you got the water heater working.
God Bless
Papa
Papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 02:34 PM   #16

Default Who made it?

I have a 1991 22L and have no hot water. The gas wont light, its automatic not pilot. There is a coil type element in the heating plenum tht has been wired in but it doesn't appear to have regular type hot water heater element. At least, there's nothing I can put a wrench on to unscrew. It looks like a Suburban, but there are differences and the Suburban name isn't on the rim where they say it would be. Can't make out a mfg. name on the label.

Arlan Williams is offline   Reply With Quote