Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 09-06-2014, 10:16 AM   #1

Default WD hitches and tongue weight

Ok I am a trailer newbie that has done a ton of reading but still have questions. I have a small tow vehicle, 2013 Ford Escape and am planning on towing a 2010 1810h. I know I am pushing weight restrictions but I had the trailer weighed and without water and cargo it comes in at 2600 instead of 3000 listed in brochure.

My question is my Ford Escape is listed at 350 lb limit on tongue weight but I have a class iii recevier and am adding a wd hitch. Does that change my tongue weight limits. It seems the wd hitch mitigates some of the tongue weight concerns.

JoyNoelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:27 AM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyNoelle View Post
Ok I am a trailer newbie that has done a ton of reading but still have questions. I have a small tow vehicle, 2013 Ford Escape and am planning on towing a 2010 1810h. I know I am pushing weight restrictions but I had the trailer weighed and without water and cargo it comes in at 2600 instead of 3000 listed in brochure.

My question is my Ford Escape is listed at 350 lb limit on tongue weight but I have a class iii recevier and am adding a wd hitch. Does that change my tongue weight limits. It seems the wd hitch mitigates some of the tongue weight concerns.
Check your owners manual. My truck lists a different weight when using a WDH. It also has the same info on the hitch itself.

http://prodcontent.s3.amazonaws.com/...wGuide2013.pdf

RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 12:23 PM   #3

Thanks so much. I think I finally have it. The actual tongue weight is part of the payload of my TV. The WD Hitch balances the load over all the axels so with a heavier tounge weight trailer all that weight is not on the back axels.

I am feeling good about my decision on the 1810 h. I know I am close to limits but not over in any one area. I think the low profile and anti sway on the trailer and hitch will keep me at an easy to tow area. Now just to add a transmission cooler and I am good to go.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:38 PM   #4
Site Team

Joy, I suspect the 350# figure is a "bumper hitch weight limit". My F150 shows a 500# limit for that kind of setup.

A class III hitch is supposedly good for up to 8000# of trailer weight. 10-15% of that for the tongue weight comes in at 800-1200#. I'd say your hitch is plenty strong for a 2600# trailer. Since your tongue weight could be as high as 300-450# (at the 3000# GW figure), you should get a weight distributing hitch rated at 500-600#.

-Jack
Old 09-07-2014, 04:43 PM   #5
sam

Default class 111 trailer hitch

Jack has given you some good advice. If your trailer hitch is over kill you could sell it on ebay ect. and get the one Jack suggested. Often times you can find a good used one on the internet sell sites.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:39 PM   #6
Site Team

Joy, just to clarify things - I would NOT go with less than a Class III hitch system on your setup. The 500-600# figure I was giving you was for the bars/chains you get with a WDH. They do the actual "lifting" that distributes the weight of the tongue off of the rear axle of your tow vehicle and up to the front axle of it, as well as to the axle(s) of the trailer.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:15 PM   #7

Thanks all..the class iii hitch is already installed. Dealer will install wd hitch and break controller when I pick up the trailer. I am not mechanically inclined so the dealer was my best bet. Will look at a transmission cooler if I find it's needed.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:42 AM   #8

Do a web search for, " Ford 2013 Towing Guide." You will find a factory brochure for all the 2013 vehicles. Notice that there is only one engine on the Escape that allows you to tow the weight that you quoted. Also, calculate all the weights to make sure that you are OK: GVWR, GCVWR, etc. The brochure explains what these means. Note that Ford recommends a sway control device for your vehicle. The hitch dealer can install one.

The towing section of this forum has additional advice as well as links to sites with towing information.

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:48 AM   #9

Thanks Raul...I do have the right engine as verified by the Ford dealer and had them install the receiver to make sure I was in warranty guidelines. As far as all the different weights I am going to be close on everything. My concern was tongue weight as the max Ford has listed is 350 and my Hi Lo is listed at 380. I got the WD Hitch to try to combat that some. I am planning on towing empty to combat both tongue weight and overall weight concerns. I do have sway control included in the hitch as the module that Ford offers can not be installed after market.