Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 03-25-2015, 06:55 AM   #1
Site Team

Default wdh campsite storage

Just curious, where does one store his wdh rig after parking the Hi Lo at the campsite? I'm thinking a rugged box in the TV.

Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:13 AM   #2

My trailer actually has two brackets with about a 4" piece of pipe on each one that my lift bars fit right into and hang upside down on the trailer tongue. As for the hitch itself I usually just set it under the rear of the trailer. I know that's kinda sketchy but I usually camp in state parks and seems like most of the people that camp there are fairly reputable. I've never had anything come up missing including my portable DirectTV dish. Maybe I've just been lucky.

misfit429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:15 AM   #3

I've been leaving the hitch head on the back of the Tahoe (with a locking hitch pin). The bars fit nicely in the trailer's rear storage bumper.
Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:34 AM   #4

Leaving that hitch head in the receiver can be real hard on the knees and shins if you carry stuff in the TV. The small hitches can be avoided in most cases. The WDH head is so big it's only a matter of time before you will be cussing it. LOL
Old 03-25-2015, 12:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckydog671 View Post
I've been leaving the hitch head on the back of the Tahoe (with a locking hitch pin). The bars fit nicely in the trailer's rear storage bumper.
Doing that can be illegal in some states. It can be a safety hazard.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit429 View Post
Leaving that hitch head in the receiver can be real hard on the knees and shins if you carry stuff in the TV. The small hitches can be avoided in most cases. The WDH head is so big it's only a matter of time before you will be cussing it. LOL
I pretty much curse it everytime I hook up anyway, LOL!

Hadn't heard before it might be illegal. Maybe I'll remove it keep it in the back of the Tahoe from now on.
Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:28 PM   #7

I remove the hitch head and put it in a tote box in the back of my pickup. My truck has a camper shell, so it's out of sight. I lay the bars on top of the lift pump/battery box cover.

I also curse during the process.

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:39 PM   #8
Site Team

I think, if someone rear ends you with the hitch installed, it can be hard on both that person's vehicle and yours. In my F150 forum, there was a discussion of this several years ago and it was stated that hitting the hitch could cause a twisting force on your vehicle that would severely damage your frame at the rear. I certainly think the point impact on the other vehicle would cause some pretty severe damage too.

I think you are supposed to remove your towing mirrors if you are driving your vehicle without the trailer in a National Park. I know I always take them off when camping.

I've honestly not worried too much about the hitch when camping though. I put the locking pin into it and then put it under the rear bumper of the camper, away from the road side. I usually put the bars on top of the back bumper. They seem fairly out of sight there. We've never had anything stolen when we've camped. Possibly, we're just lucky.

- Jack
Old 03-25-2015, 06:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
I think, if someone rear ends you with the hitch installed, it can be hard on both that person's vehicle and yours. In my F150 forum, there was a discussion of this several years ago and it was stated that hitting the hitch could cause a twisting force on your vehicle that would severely damage your frame at the rear. I certainly think the point impact on the other vehicle would cause some pretty severe damage too.

I think you are supposed to remove your towing mirrors if you are driving your vehicle without the trailer in a National Park. I know I always take them off when camping.

I've honestly not worried too much about the hitch when camping though. I put the locking pin into it and then put it under the rear bumper of the camper, away from the road side. I usually put the bars on top of the back bumper. They seem fairly out of sight there. We've never had anything stolen when we've camped. Possibly, we're just lucky.

- Jack

You are right about the damage, but it can happen without the hitch head also. Our daughter was visiting during Christmas and got rear ended in our SUV. I had installed a receiver hitch on it to use with bike racks. The hitch was pushed down and forward and damaged the unibody chassis. BTW, the other driver was uninsured and gave her bogus information.

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:16 PM   #10

My camping years started with a tent and to this day I have never had a problem with thief. With that said, I do use the chains on the weight distribution bars to lock them onto the trailer safety chains. I know if anyone wants them badly enough they will find a way to cut the safety chain. They would have a hard time cutting the lock and the chain on the wdb.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:56 AM   #11
Site Team

Like the idea of the tote box, although the tote could be stowed under the rear of the TT. Here in Fl, it is an un-enforced law that the hitch must be removed unless in use. I'm told that YOUR insurance may not pay a full claim if you back into someone with a hitch, and, if rear ended THEIR company may seek damages from you for extended damages because of the hitch. Just me, I'll remove mine when not in use. Total weight of my WDH feels like it's near the million pound mark!
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:38 PM   #12

Gus and I were talking about a recall they have going on the mid 90's Jeep Grand Cherokees. The fuel tank can apparently leak in a rear end collision. Their solution? Install a receiver hitch. If the Jeep doesn't have one already, they will install one free under the recall.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:57 AM   #13

In Wisconsin it is illeagle to leave the hitch head connected. I usually just set it under the front of the trailer in a rag. I just prop the bars on the frame near the battery box. Like many, I dont worry much about theft. I did used to leave the bars laying across the top of the battery box until I forgot one day and lowered the top with them still on there. They did a nice job of forcing the cover down the battery terminals and causing a nice short which burnt a hole through the box cover and wasted a few cells in the battery. Dont do that anymore and also coated the inside of the battery lid with that spray on rubber stuff as well as made sure all terminals are, now, covered.

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltool View Post
In Wisconsin it is illeagle to leave the hitch head connected. I usually just set it under the front of the trailer in a rag. I just prop the bars on the frame near the battery box. Like many, I dont worry much about theft. I did used to leave the bars laying across the top of the battery box until I forgot one day and lowered the top with them still on there. They did a nice job of forcing the cover down the battery terminals and causing a nice short which burnt a hole through the box cover and wasted a few cells in the battery. Dont do that anymore and also coated the inside of the battery lid with that spray on rubber stuff as well as made sure all terminals are, now, covered.
I've also burned holes through battery cover.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 04:34 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry View Post
I've also burned holes through battery cover.
I bet that's a fun experience! People probably think you're Nikola Tesla.

I also lowered the top with something on the battery compartment - it was the little electric pump I use for transferring water from 6 gal containers into the fresh water tanks.

Fortunately, my damage was directed upwards, and not down. I put a nice crack/tear in the thin plastic that's on the bottom of the top half where it hangs over the battery compartment. I was able to repair that and luckily, the pump was not damaged either. Sure got my attention though when I heard the "crunch"!

- Jack