Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Community Forums > General Hi-Lo camper discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 09-19-2014, 10:02 AM   #201
Site Team

I sure don't like the idea of wood - there is a LOT of force in play with a WDH. I think I'd try to build it out with metal.

Or, a better solution would probably be to go with a different brand WDH that would fit your frame. I'm sure they're out there.

- Jack

JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:28 PM   #202

Jack, X2!!

Dee

Dee Tillotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:37 PM   #203

We had a "mom and pop" company (Corbin's) in North Charleston, SC which does nothing else but this type of work to install our setup, and they chose a weight distribution hitch named Drawtite (with 800-lb. bars). No cutting was required for our 2009 2509 Classic.

Dee
Old 09-19-2014, 07:21 PM   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
I sure don't like the idea of wood - there is a LOT of force in play with a WDH. I think I'd try to build it out with metal.

Or, a better solution would probably be to go with a different brand WDH that would fit your frame. I'm sure they're out there.

- Jack
It will work fine with wood since it is in compression. You just have to put the wood on the outside of the rail. If put on the inside the clamp bolt will break it. Rather than pressure treated wood I recommend you cut the spacers from exterior or marine plywood. Prime and paint them for better weather resistance.

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:29 PM   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post

- Jack
I tend to agree with Jack. Wood in compression is still vulnerable with these kinds of forces. Wood is plastic when compressed, but it's not elastic. It never returns to its original shape (thickness).

Speaking as a retired machinist, I suggest you stop by your local steel/metal retailer and check the square steel bar they offer (hot rolled is cheaper). I'm sure they'll have the thickness you require...and will band saw cut the pieces to the length you need.

Good luck,
Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 12:43 PM   #206

Thanks for all your input so far. The manufacturer told me that the tension from the cinched up chains would help keep the wood in place but that sounded a little dicey to me!

I think for the rest of the camping season I'll just stick with the existing saddles and just keep an eye on them when towing. In the meantime, I'll keep investigating the best way to make up that gap. I don't want to weld to the frame unless I have to. I do think the idea of using metal square tubing or bar, instead of wood, may be the way to go. I don't really want to purchase a new hitch setup since I just bought this one.

Thanks!
Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:15 PM   #207
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckydog671 View Post
Thanks for all your input so far. The manufacturer told me that the tension from the cinched up chains would help keep the wood in place but that sounded a little dicey to me!

I think for the rest of the camping season I'll just stick with the existing saddles and just keep an eye on them when towing. In the meantime, I'll keep investigating the best way to make up that gap. I don't want to weld to the frame unless I have to. I do think the idea of using metal square tubing or bar, instead of wood, may be the way to go. I don't really want to purchase a new hitch setup since I just bought this one.

Thanks!
I doubt you'd have to weld anything. If wood blocks can be held in place by compression, metal spacers could be held that way too. But, they would not be effected by moisture, etc. in the way wood might be.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:25 PM   #208
sam

Default New cam lock /water heater door New battery

DH thinks he lowered the HiLo with the exterior water heater door flopping down. Crunch to the cam lock. He had trouble lowering the HiLo on a cold morning. Discovered the battery was from 2008 and was low on distilled water. One cell was dead. Time for a road trip to our HiLo dealer. All is well now. A little tricky to figure out how to install the cam lock. No instructions on the package. New interstate deep cycle battery installed.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 05:52 PM   #209

Cleaned out all the tools and remnants of the remodel from the trailer. Repacked the wheel bearings. Caulked endcap seams with RV Flex sealant. Began coating the edges of the roof with elastomeric roof coating and began installing new vinyl moulding trim in upper channel. Painted front battery box cover and trailer tongue. Began WD hitch install. Tomorrow I have to coat the roof, finish vinyl trim installation, then back up the TV and complete hitch install. Take it for a test spin tomorrow. Heading out for first trip next week on Friday thru Monday.
misfit429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:46 PM   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit429 View Post
Cleaned out all the tools and remnants of the remodel from the trailer. Repacked the wheel bearings. Caulked endcap seams with RV Flex sealant. Began coating the edges of the roof with elastomeric roof coating and began installing new vinyl moulding trim in upper channel. Painted front battery box cover and trailer tongue. Began WD hitch install. Tomorrow I have to coat the roof, finish vinyl trim installation, then back up the TV and complete hitch install. Take it for a test spin tomorrow. Heading out for first trip next week on Friday thru Monday.
Three days doesn't give you much time to get to Southern California and take care of the repairs on my trailer.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:39 PM   #211
sam

Default installing upper molding trim

We replaced ours twice. The second time we got advice from our HiLo dealer. Install in cold weather and don't stretch as you install it. This will prevent shrinkage. We still had about four inches of shrinkage. DH caulked and put in a filler piece. Used our favorite caulk/Lexel. Wefollowed the instructions we were given. This job is hard on your hands.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:20 PM   #212

misfit
Are you trying your best to make the rest of us look like slugs.
have fun!
kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:29 AM   #213

Garry, maybe one day I can make it out to SoCal. Never been there even though I used to be an OTR trucker. And knowing me, I will get bored just about anywhere if I'm not busy so would love to help. Maybe I just need to head out on a"Hi Lo repair and restore North American tour" ! LOL. If I was a wealthy man it's something I would do for sure. If I could just get a TV channel to record and finance it. And no Renoites I'm just down to the time crunch now. last 2 days off before leaving Friday. Gotta get er done
Old 10-05-2014, 11:33 AM   #214

Quote:
Garry, maybe one day I can make it out to SoCal. Never been there even though I used to be an OTR trucker. And knowing me, I will get bored just about anywhere if I'm not busy so would love to help. Maybe I just need to head out on a"Hi Lo repair and restore North American tour" ! LOL. If I was a wealthy man it's something I would do for sure. If I could just get a TV channel to record and finance it. And no Renoites I'm just down to the time crunch now. last 2 days off before leaving Friday. Gotta get er done
Like you, I get bored if I'm not busy, but I just can't do as much as I use to. Enjoy your three days Friday.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Old 10-10-2014, 07:25 AM   #215

DH and I just bought a new TV for her.. a 2012 Ford F-150. w/ tow package.
15,000 miles, for a little over $25,000.00. Pictures coming later today.
Pinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:17 AM   #216

I loaded it up and I'm ready to roll! Heading out now for maiden voyage. Wish me luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20141010_001.jpg (100.1 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20141010_002.jpg (98.8 KB, 41 views)
Old 10-10-2014, 10:02 AM   #217

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
I loaded it up and I'm ready to roll! Heading out now for maiden voyage. Wish me luck!
Have a fun and safe trip!
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:03 AM   #218
Site Team

Setup looks good to me. Have fun!

- Jack
Old 10-10-2014, 11:55 AM   #219

Quote:
Have a great weekend.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Old 10-10-2014, 12:34 PM   #220

misfit, from your pictures your rig looks nice and level, but where is your propane tank?

Dee