Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 08-15-2018, 08:48 PM   #1

Default What's the value of a 1971 that needs allot of work?

The owner of a 1971 wants 2000 firm for his hi-lo. The add said he used it for a week straight and 5 weekends this year, so I figured it might be ready to camp. But then he turns around after I asked if it had ever leaked and says..
"My opinion is probably different than yours.. It's a 1971.. Its getting old for a unrestored camper.. Some wood is getting weak."

Clearly avoiding my water leak question, so it must have leaked and who knows how bad as forthcoming as the owners being.

To me its worth half that if it leaked, if that.. These hi-lo's aren't really rare or collectable, are they?

Or what did you pay for your "unrestored, weak wood" hi-lo ?

Thanks!

rebar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:28 AM   #2

I think I would run the other way. With the age and the possible leak problem who knows what problems and expense you may encounter. It may be cheaper for you to shop for a newer Hi-Lo in better condition.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
I think I would run the other way. With the age and the possible leak problem who knows what problems and expense you may encounter. It may be cheaper for you to shop for a newer Hi-Lo in better condition.
Thanks Rich.. If only a owner would provide a clear description.. Is that to much to ask? He doesn't seem illiterate, but now said "I haven't seen it leak inside when it rains"..

He's now waiting for me to ask "so, where is the weak wood?" But, nothing.. I don't care for sellers who aren't forthcoming, and even go as far as to try to hide problems. But sometimes its simply communication break down.

I guess I would have to drive the 2 hours to find out.. Today I'm fixing the kdp on the cummins. drum roll
Old 08-16-2018, 08:20 PM   #4
sam

Default No such thing as weak wood!!

I think this seller is full of "beans" He has dollar signs for eye balls. I wouldn't drive that far to see his hunk of junk. Use the buyers check list and get your self a newer trailer. Many are for sale. Dh was out today installing a new socket in our outdoor porch light. Plenty of preventive maintenance to do. Anything that goes wrong on a HiLo can be fixed.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 03:12 PM   #5

Yeah, mine was similar, the guy was asking 2k or 2500, I don't remember, but it had been on craigslist forever. I went and looked at it and said no and went home initially, but I thought, what the hell, texted him and offered him 500 bucks and he let me have it. If he's had it for sale for quite awhile, I would throw an offer that you're ok with paying and see if he takes it.
guitarman023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:26 AM   #6

Thanks..

I can always find what I want.. But its always the distance and/or the price that stops me. The hi-lo Im considering is 2 hours away, but the next Hi-Lo is 17 hours since I'm only interested in single axle trailers.

Guitarman.. I was thinking the same $500 but wont go over $1000 since it has new wheels, tires and battery...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00O0O_6sOybSuAAqx_1200x900.jpg (169.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 00L0L_5Ia4pvbkllW_1200x900.jpg (183.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 00V0V_3ubhDBnrKP9_1200x900.jpg (65.4 KB, 19 views)
Old 08-19-2018, 10:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebar View Post
Thanks..

I can always find what I want.. But its always the distance and/or the price that stops me. The hi-lo Im considering is 2 hours away, but the next Hi-Lo is 17 hours since I'm only interested in single axle trailers.

Guitarman.. I was thinking the same $500 but wont go over $1000 since it has new wheels, tires and battery...

Yeah, mine came with no battery, and old tires, so I would be ok with spending a little more for that one. They're not exactly easy to find, and they're very easy to work on and fix up, so I love them and would pay a little more for an older camper that still has over 6 foot ceilings.
guitarman023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 03:25 PM   #8

Depends if you want to and how good you are at fixing campers and if you have the time.
$500 if you want a project. $2,000 is about right if that camper were garaged all these years. After 2 years campers are suspetible to leaks because the caulking at roof and wall seams cracks. Most campers will have water damage. The wood needs to be replaced, not just dried out.
wet wood will mold and rust the steel frame in the walls. There is minimal steel structure in these so any rust greatly weakens the steel frame.
Wet steel near wet aluminum roof will cause galvanic corrosion to the roof, and still rust the steel.
Owners can use a ruined camper until it literally falls apart. Him using it does not mean it is well.
Determine the value as if the roof and walls need major work.
Old 08-25-2018, 11:18 AM   #9

Leakers all can be rep[aired or painted over with Elastomeric paints in Home depot and last for years if more than one coat applied. 2. Old campers all have Issues so if you want a new trailer of an old one buy New?
3. Buying a older HiLO is like a investment in Time ,cash,and pleasure. One updates old cars so get real and maintain your HiLO and cherish the happy Trails it gives youwithout complaints.
4. It helps to be a handy man because there will be maint issues from time to time? Thats why we are here ?

Love the open road and less gas usages from a Hilo which offset maintenance.
5. Get as many manuals as possible to understand your unit old or new ,READ.

happy Trails
jwswans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:34 AM   #10

PS If I could get a 71 for 2000 that was basically sound but leaked a tad here and there I would invest. Floors & ceilings can be replaced or Covered over with New Plywood & Flooring just takes time & effort and a few bucks. yard sales sometime provide period flooring usually the yellow tiles and such . . Tighten bearing of wheels with High temp Grease and new tires if needed .most walls in Hilo were 1/8" inch walnut plywood which is cheap. Remember this is a Antique Historic Unit . We have invested 4,000 over 10 years in ours 72 and never regretted a moment in adventures from Coast to Coast with it . Usually one trip will cost over 200.00 in gas or more . Some parks charge 40.00 a hook up but Feds much less in Senior Passes. We have put LCD Lights from China that last for years and do not drain battery's for days so go wild and camp wilderness ? Enjoy the places only Hilo can access, like Gila National park NM that regular trailers damage in because of low branches and tight ,tight corners ,,trail?

Hilo are great in back country's but one needs to Reverse Shackles of Axle &Springs under axle to heighten frame over rough dirt back roads about 6- 8 inch higher.
jwswans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 04:56 PM   #11

Hey guys, thanks for all that. Yeah, I consider my self a jack of all trades, master of none.. But I do get things done right finally even if it takes a few tries lol.. Do I like it? No. And occasionally it costs me more than if I had hired a professional from the get go. I wish I was loaded and could hire out everything.. Mowing, laundry, cooking,, trailer repairs or builds.. And hire the most talented reputable people because my expectations are high. sigh..

Back to reality. Allot of professionals don't meet my expectations and I have a limited income, so Ive been doing my own wrenching and maintenance for everything except my roof.

I stopped looking for a hi-lo. A converted cargo trailer is more useful to me and a ramp door is a huge plus. But I'm having a heck of a time finding a narrow track 7x16.. They have wheel wells instead of fenders.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:46 PM   #12

RUN,RUN far away!

maestro123 is offline   Reply With Quote