Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 09-11-2013, 03:40 PM   #1

Default Winterizing

I am wondering, since I am getting ready to winterize my Hi-Lo for the very first time. When I put my unit on 2X6 blocks under the tires for the winter, is it a good idea to lower the leveling jacks to stabilize the unit since it will be sitting at the storage unit from October until I bring it out in the spring in April to help keep the weight off the tires? I know when I winterized my 18' Road Runner (like pulling a bill board behind my truck) I did not put the jacks down nor did I cover it with a cover like I am going to do with my unit. This lovely 17T is going to be with me well into retirement that can happen as early as the next 4 years. (Yeah!!). I winterized my Road Runner since I bought it new in 2009 and traded it in on the 17T. I am just so full of excitement because I was able to use it this season before I had to go back to work in September. I know many questions from a new owner. But yet, now knowing what I missed out on by not buying a Hi-Lo to begin with. Thank goodness you folks are here to help!!

Mike M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:57 PM   #2
Site Team

Ratmouser, I've got essentially the same trailer as you and I don't try to get the weight off the wheels during storage. The stabilizing jacks are not there to "lift" the trailer, they are just there to keep it from "rocking". I would not apply too much force to the screwjacks when they are used. You could distort the frame.

It would be probably better to jack the trailer up and then put it on jackstands supporting the frame next to the axle, if you wanted to take the weight off the wheels.

As I said, I don't do this, but I DO inflate the tires to the max cold pressure and then check them about once a month. I've not had any problems using this procedure.

- Jack

Old 09-11-2013, 05:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Ratmouser, I've got essentially the same trailer as you and I don't try to get the weight off the wheels during storage. The stabilizing jacks are not there to "lift" the trailer, they are just there to keep it from "rocking". I would not apply too much force to the screwjacks when they are used. You could distort the frame.

It would be probably better to jack the trailer up and then put it on jackstands supporting the frame next to the axle, if you wanted to take the weight off the wheels.

As I said, I don't do this, but I DO inflate the tires to the max cold pressure and then check them about once a month. I've not had any problems using this procedure.

- Jack
I agree with Jack on the subject. No stabilizers, keep the tire pressure up, do use the 2x6 blocks, and don't use the cheap tarps for a cover. One thing about the stabilizers is, if a tire goes go flat the stabilizers will be bearing the weight and that isn't good for them.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post

- Jack
Thank you for the information. I kind of understood that the screw jacks are there to keep the trailer from rocking, but also thought it might be a good idea to put them down not to actually jack the trailer up but to keep it from rocking during the winter. I do have jack stands to put under the frame next to the axle. I have a breathable rv cover to put over it so it will not build up moister and let it breath. Since here in Michigan when I park it for the winter my visits to the site are not so frequent due to my work schedule. I would like to keep the pressure off the tires so they do not deteriorate while in storage. I have covers for them as well. Sound like I am going a little overboard? Not sure. But I was thinking that the less it is exposed to the elements the better condition it would stay in. After all pilots park their planes in a hangar and boaters park their sailboats in a warehouse. Why not put a giant huggie on the trailer and keep it safe during the harshest time of year in the frozen tundra. . I still have a lot to learn about my trailer. Dang perfectionist (me) have to over think just about everything. LOL Thank you Rich and Jack.

- Mike
Allen Park, MI
Old 09-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
Site Team

There's not much danger of the trailer "rocking" if you're not in it. About the only reason to take the weight off the tires is to prevent "flat-spotting". Covering the tires to protect from UV damage is a very good idea.

If the temp is really cold, flat-spotting could cause a "lumpy ride" until the tires warmed up and got more flexible. Since you're not going to tow the trailer in really cold weather, this should not be a problem.

Putting the trailer under a cover (if fabric, make sure it is breathable) is always a good idea when the trailer is parked for a prolonged period.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:14 PM   #6

I assume you will be taking the battery out and maintaining it at home.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:04 AM   #7
sam

Default covering the RV for winter

Be sure to use bubble wrap to pad sharp objects. Pad the awning ends and any protrusions such as vents,AC. Some have used pool noodles. The cover will rub against sharp objects and make a wear spot or rip.
sam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:41 AM   #8

Default Thanks

Thanks for the good info. Learned a couple of good ideas in the thread.

Later Tim
69hilo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:34 AM   #9

Interestingly enough, the latest issue of Trailer Life Magazine had a letter from a trailer owner that was wondering if the stabilizing jacks should be used to get the tires off the ground during storage.

The magazine writer gave a two part answer:

1- Stabilizing jacks are not meant to be used to raise the chassis; they are to stabilize it. (As somebody here pointed out, if the tires lose pressure during storage the jacks will end up taking up the load)

2- Tires do not have to be off the ground during storage. They can stay on the ground but they should be on a surface that does not transfer moisture to the tire contact patch. They suggested rolling the tires onto metal (baking sheets), plastic (cutting boards), etc.

Raul

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
I assume you will be taking the battery out and maintaining it at home.
Yes I will be taking the battery out and maintaining it at home. Learned a valuable lesson with my other RV. Let it sit one winter and it would not hold a charge when I opened it up the next season. I am using a breathable cover. Poly something it is called. I am wondering about the snow weight as well so am going to check out another thread on here that is titled snow weight. We get a lot of snow in Michigan. Not much the last couple of years but I am guessing since we had an unusual summer that the winter is going to be a bear. So may have to go to storage and sweep the snow off it if we get a load of it.
Good info here!
Old 09-13-2013, 09:00 PM   #11

Default Another option

is to become what southerners refer to as Snowbirds. Basically that is where northerners (Yankees) move south for the winter. Now I would encourage y'all to do just that ... bring your HiLo with you and stimulate our economy, have some bar-b-que, enjoy our hospitality and generally milder weather.

No offense intended, I once lived in snow country myself. Was even on the high school ski team.
Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #12

Default Batteries?

Since our Hi-Lo has a solar panel, I leave the batteries in all winter. The charge has been enough to keep them full. But I have a question: if you remove the batteries, how do you lift/lower the trailer without power?

Also for wintering, I blow out all the water lines and the hot water heater. 50psi is max.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #13

As far as raising and lowering without battery- I leave the battery cables accessible to the front of the battery box opening which I can get to with the trailer down (per jack's suggestion last fall-thanks , again, Jack) then I just attach jumper cables to those cables and hook up to my truck's battery if I need to raise the unit.

AS far as snow----- I don't know if I would want to pull my tires onto plastic or metal cookie sheets as with freezing and thawing of snow there would be a tendency to have the tires frozen in water a good part of the winter-----I;d rather go with 2-4" of wood off the ground or even the plastic leveler blocks to make sure water is less likely to pool.

Finally- I brushed the snow off last winter but i posed this question in the "snow load" thread----"why would a hi-lo be any more likely to be damaged by snow loads than a regular trailer?" My guess it they aren't and, in fact, present an advantage in that it is easier to brush the snow off given the lower profile. I clear the snow from my sloped roof on my house after heavy snows so clearing a flat roofed trailer to me makes sense.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
is to become what southerners refer to as Snowbirds. Basically that is where northerners (Yankees) move south for the winter. Now I would encourage y'all to do just that ... bring your HiLo with you and stimulate our economy, have some bar-b-que, enjoy our hospitality and generally milder weather.

No offense intended, I once lived in snow country myself. Was even on the high school ski team.
I use to be a "Southerner" Wrascal, I lived in Oklahoma for 30 years and the weather was well lets say spring time in the south when you live in the north. But the 100 + degrees in Oklahoma when you climb into your 50's + becomes hard to handle so I moved back home to the North. The South needs to come north during tourist season to boost the economy so we can travel to the South in the spring and fall when the temperatures are bearable. The opportune time to have a job when you can work in the north in spring, summer and fall then in the south in the winter would be the best job ever. (I am still looking for that one). Having a Hi-Lo and being able to be in the South in the off season (after Summer) is the most fantastic experience on earth. LOL But love the suggestion. Thanks so much!!

- Mike
Old 09-14-2013, 08:46 PM   #15

Default Deaf ears ...

Both my grandmother (RIP) and my in-laws (now pushing 90's) did just that - SNOWBIRDING -for many years.

As for me, I'm a stick in the mud/ stay at home kind of guy. Unless New England offers tremendous incentives (Cheap camping, low sales tax, reduced booze and gasoline prices, etc) then (excluding remaining funeral visits) I'm not gonna make the trip up north ever again.

An old curmudgeon happy with the way things currently are.

As an aside, treat your children well - they will be choosing YOUR retirement home.
Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:49 AM   #16

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmouser View Post
I am wondering, since I am getting ready to winterize my Hi-Lo for the very first time. When I put my unit on 2X6 blocks under the tires for the winter, is it a good idea to lower the leveling jacks to stabilize the unit since it will be sitting at the storage unit from October until I bring it out in the spring in April to help keep the weight off the tires? I know when I winterized my 18' Road Runner (like pulling a bill board behind my truck) I did not put the jacks down nor did I cover it with a cover like I am going to do with my unit. This lovely 17T is going to be with me well into retirement that can happen as early as the next 4 years. (Yeah!!). I winterized my Road Runner since I bought it new in 2009 and traded it in on the 17T. I am just so full of excitement because I was able to use it this season before I had to go back to work in September. I know many questions from a new owner. But yet, now knowing what I missed out on by not buying a Hi-Lo to begin with. Thank goodness you folks are here to help!!
I put my stabilization jacks down in case it gets windy. I also park the wheels on those plastic cutting boards. I picked those up at a dollar store for a few bucks. I slam styrofoam on any sharp edges and cover wheels and trailer.
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:30 PM   #17

Totally understand the wind RC. 40 mph is normal everyday in Ok and Texas. Here in MI they think the house is going to blow down. LOL. Hi-Lo is wrapped up for the winter. Went down to the storage place today to tighten up the cover and make sure there was a nose up angle for water drainage when the snow melts. Am looking forward to taking it out in the Spring on my annual man vacation. This is the week of spring break in MI where I get to go out on my own for some me time and enjoy the sites that the State of Michigan has to offer. I think this spring I am going to go to Beaver Island for a ferry boat ride and a lighthouse tour. Spent the first 18 years of my life in MI and never left the tri-county area around Detroit. Never knew we had so many vacation spots to go visit until I moved back here 7 years ago. Love the Hi-Lo home away from home.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:52 PM   #18

Default Storage question

Have not been on here in a while. Moved the Hilo to AZ from outside storage in CA and put it the garage in March will not be able to use it until next summer when retirement begins. So the question is too long for it to sit on two year old tires right. So should we move it in and out or put it up on blocks of wood. Moving it and getting it back in the same place might take some time. Can a person just jack it up and rotate the tires? Thanks so much for all the help.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by low2go View Post
Have not been on here in a while. Moved the Hilo to AZ from outside storage in CA and put it the garage in March will not be able to use it until next summer when retirement begins. So the question is too long for it to sit on two year old tires right. So should we move it in and out or put it up on blocks of wood. Moving it and getting it back in the same place might take some time. Can a person just jack it up and rotate the tires? Thanks so much for all the help.
Jacking it up is a good idea. Here are some tips from Goodyear:
Tire Storage - Goodyear RV

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote