Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 10-22-2011, 04:23 PM   #1

Default Winterizing problems 1999 Towlite Hi Lo

Can someone please tell me how to winterize the 1999 hi lo? I can winterize the cold water lines just fine, but I cannot winterize the hot water lines without going through the water heater. The hot water lines run directly from the faucets to the hot water heater. Don't tell me to look at the manual or any manual, and please don't tell me to watch a video. This problem is specific to my 1999.

yopeanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 04:40 PM   #2

There is a kit available that bypasses the water heater, providing a path protected by valves where the water, instead of going in the water heater then out to the hot water faucets, ties the cold water inlet to the hot water outlet thereby effectively removing the water heater from the water system. That leaves you free to drain the water heater and winterize the entire unit.

hgalster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 05:34 PM   #3

I'm planning to go ahead and let the antifreeze run through the water heater. Once I get the lines filled I should be able to drain the water heater as I do have two valves. These two valves don't work like the others I have heard about. I am missing the piece you referred to that lets me bypass the water heater. Unfortunately, the two valves are each on a separate line and only the cold water is hooked to the pump. The hot water line goes direct from faucets to water heater with a valve by the heater.
yopeanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:24 AM   #4

I have read that putting antifreeze in the water heater is not advised, apparently it reacts with the metal in the heater. Also, you would have to add six gallons of antifreeze just to get it to flow through the lines to the faucets. You need to double check to see if there isn't a bypass already built in, it is a short piece of line with valves at each end and they are attached at both the inlet and outlet of the tank. Do you have the the antifreeze intake hose that is connected near the intake side of the pump? With those both in place you can winterize the whole system with about 1 1/2 gallons of antifreeze.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:45 AM   #5

The bypass was not a standard factory feature on the 1999T that I once owned. I had a dealer install it when I purchased it used. It wasn't that expensive to have it installed and well worthwhile.

On my 2707T, it was a standard feature.

Some owners use an air compressor to blow out water. I would think this is an alternative to antifreeze that would work if you do not have the bypass. But you would need to either purchase or find a friend with an air compressor.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:31 PM   #6

Quoting RetiredCamper47 from another thread:

My unit has drain valves for the cold and hot water lines near my water pump. I open both of them and turn on the kitchen faucet handles to vent the system. This also drains my hot water tank. I then remove the petcock/anode rod from the hot water tank drain hole and flip open the pressure relief valve to vent the tank. I then flush the tank with a water hose and an attachment for flushing. This removes any mineral deposits or whatever that might have settled in the bottom of the tank. I then go inside and make sure all faucets are closed and the hot water tank bypass valves are closed. My unit is set up to pump directly out of the antifreeze jug. I turn on my water pump and pressurize the water lines with antifreeze. Now I turn on each faucet until it runs pink. This means the kitchen & bathroom faucets, inside & outside showers. I flush the toilet until it runs pink. I pour antifreeze into the sink & shower drains. Now I turn off the water pump and I know I'm good to go for the winter.
Rolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:28 PM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to sting32

Quote:
Originally Posted by yopeanuts View Post
Can someone please tell me how to winterize the 1999 hi lo? I can winterize the cold water lines just fine, but I cannot winterize the hot water lines without going through the water heater. The hot water lines run directly from the faucets to the hot water heater. Don't tell me to look at the manual or any manual, and please don't tell me to watch a video. This problem is specific to my 1999.
Google is your friend (search terms was, RV hot water tank bypass)

http://www.rverscorner.com/painless.html

How to Install an RV Water Heater Bypass Kit | eHow.com

or

RV Water Heater Bypass Systems

FWIW, Trying to fill a water heater will take 6 gallons of RV antifreeze, at 5 bucks a gallon, that is going to be expensive, and that is ASSUMING you figure out how to have the Electric pump suck the antifreeze directly from your 1gallon jugs, if not last year I had to dump 3 gallons into the fresh water tank, just to get enough volume in there to run through the cold lines and fawcets. so it could easily be 7 or 8 gallons of RV antifreeze... Walmart might be cheaper, used $5 because that was what my local store sold it for yesterday, to me.

if you can easily get to the back of the water heater, you could install your own bypass reall easily. Mine I did the 2 valve system, worst part was getting to the water heater's water connections. I am making a door for this to make it much easier ASAP...

Tags
1999 towlite, problem, water heater, winterize