Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Boondocking Discussions on dry camping

Old 02-28-2010, 08:45 AM   #1

Default AC power

The only boondock camping I've ever done was in a tent. While I was taking apart our 2201TL trying to find an electrical problem, this was before Sam Shields told me what the problem was , anyway... After looking at the entire electrical system in our camper I realized there wouldn't be any AC power when boondocking for things like our coffee maker.

How do you boondockers handle this?

Neal

Old 02-28-2010, 09:20 AM   #2

We boondock allot on our hundred acres of blue sky here in NW PA. Actually it is kind of nice getting away from AC power outlets for a few days. It is a good time to test your skills, especially when it comes to cooking. The coffee maker at home becomes a tea kettle and coffee bags or a good old fashioned percolator. The range at home is replaced by "your new gas grill" and maybe a cast iron dutch oven. There are volumes of recipes that were made for dutch oven cooking, like baking cakes, bread, soup, and bunches of other things. We just got a new one and can't wait to try it out. The campfire and a couple of good cast iron pie irons can become very useful, it is surprising how many things you can do in a pie iron. If the weather gets bad, as a last resort, you can use the cook top inside the Hi-Lo to heat up a can of soup. Don't forget to take a can opener..... Just have fun!

If you plan on being out for more than a weekend you may want to add a second battery to the rig. Or, go the generator route. With a 2000 watt generator you could take your coffee maker with you.

RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:52 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to dwood
Smile Re: AC Power

I installed two 75-watt solar panels and an inverter in our 26-footer. I needed it for my CPAP machine (for sleep apnea). We can run my wife's Featherweight sewing machine, a woodburner, or a Dremel just fine in the daytime unless it's cloudy all day. We have a small TV/DVD player, and that works ok too. With two 12V deep cycle batteries, we can handle a day or two without sunshine with me using the CPAP at night.

Our system won't handle an electric toaster, microwave or electric coffeepot, but we don't mind that when we're boondocking.

dwood
(Durwood Thrasher)
dwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:12 PM   #4

RichR, when you put it like that it, having no AC sounds like a lot of fun. I'll sure be glad when warmer weather gets here. I'm ready to camp!

Dwood, my Hi-Lo has a solar panel on the back on the roof, it says battery saver on it and I saw one like it at Camping World, that one said it was supposed to provide a trickle charge to help keep the battery charged when the camper wasn't in use. I have a question in the "Maintenance/Solar and Generator power" area, I've asked if anyone knows how to tell if the solar panel is working. If you know how to test it would you post an answer there please.

Neal
Old 02-28-2010, 08:55 PM   #5

Default a/c

If You need to use 110v when not near a plug, I take a 6kw generater I have a 12v elec wench and folding ramp make it easy to move the generater in and out of my truck bed. a tank of gas runs the generator for 12 to 14 hours with the a/c on.
Sam
Sam Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:41 PM   #6

Sam you got it going on!
Old 03-02-2010, 11:32 PM   #7

We "dry camp" a lot! I haven't missed an air conditioner. During the heat of the day, we stay under the awning, or if it's too windy for that (usually is, in Wyoming) we just follow the shade around the camper.

We do have a generator for occasional use. But like Rich says, it's fun meeting the challenges and new ways to cook. Of course the CPAP machine is important...my sister in law and her husband dry camped with us at Flaming Gorge a couple of summers ago and she uses one. They just ran their generator all night. We were out by ourselves miles from anyone, so the noise didn't bother anyone. We camped about 100 feet away from the in laws trailer, and we never heard it. Plus after awhile it just becomes "white noise".

Dutch Ovens are the best! I made a Pineapple Upside-Down Cake in one! My cousin does prime rib in 'em. Yum!

Humbly submitted,
Noreene
Sagebrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 01:55 PM   #8

Noreene,
I had no idea that a cake could be made in a Dutch Oven. It would seem that I need to research these magical ovens a bit.

BTW that Pineapple Upside-Down cake sounds very yummy, if it's not a secret recipe you might want to consider sharing it with us in the "Cook Book" area

Neal
Old 03-22-2010, 12:05 PM   #9

Default Dry-camping

We also dry-camp quite often while traveling. Often like the site choice better, and rarely need a reservation. Cheaper too, often $5/day less. For our use, simply adding a second battery has done the trick. We can dry-camp for a week or more at a stretch, and still have good voltage. The batteries do charge up well from our TV when on the road.

It all depends on your usage of course. We added a small ThinLite fluorescent light over the dinette, that's the main light in our trailer (22T). LCDs have worked well for others, to reduce the lighting draw. For coffee we carry our old Melitta manual drip filter unit, just heat a kettle on the stove. We almost never use the AC, that would definitely be an issue.
Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:46 AM   #10

You can do anything in a Dutch Oven you can do at home just don't be in a real hurry to eat they take some planning to cook or bake with this is a great site for tips and recipes there are tons more.Byron's Dutch Oven Cooking Page

As far as the coffee pot I already have one of these and have been using it on tent camping trips with my coleman stove so I'm sure this will work on your propane stove.Amazon.com: Coleman 5008C700T Camping Coffeemaker, Black: Sports & Outdoors

just like home drip coffee maker without the electric.

WV Jeepr
wvjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:51 PM   #11

Default Dry Camping

Dry camping is the only way to go. We've been out over 35 weekends in less than 2 years with our 2002 Hilo 17'. Only once did we make the mistake of a campground (with hookups to boot). Dry camping allows the chance to get away from it all and get into the great out doors to enjoy the solitude and serenity of nature. Happy Camping!!!
Dmeyer1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:42 PM   #12

Here's the little camping genny I use when boondocking.

I bought this little Triron from Home Depot Online. It's a 1,200w (1,500w surge) model. It was only $308 shipped to my door ($249 before tax and shipping!) I had to rig a rubber band to hold in my Aliner's heavy 30A power cord, as it kept vibrating out due to my little 15A adapter. It'll start and run my 5,000 BTU a/c with power to spare, but won't start my Dometic microwave reliably. I got it mainly to recharge my battery, as I have a small inverter for small ac appliances, tools, etc. About 1/2 hour per day is all that's needed to recharge my single group 27 to about 90%.

Though not as quiet as the 1,600w (2,000w surge) Honda EU2000 (53-59db), its 2.8hp engine is rated at a respectable 63db peak due to its huge muffler. It's well within the National Park 67db generator noise limit. It produces a steady drone which doesn't vary in pitch with load like the little Honda does. I find that the up and down pitch of the Honda in eco mode calls attention to itself like the varying pitch of a police siren, whereas a steady pitch blends into the background better.

Chip
sushidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:48 PM   #13

Thumbs up dry camping

I use that same coleman coffemaker on my propane stove.Also, since I don't have a generator & I have 2 -6volt batteries that give me 232amp hours,I bought a DIEHARD PORTABLE POWER 1150
jump start/air compressor/12v dc power supply/usb power souce
& a 400watt 110v inverter,for the TV/movie on a
rainy day for about 3 hrs. of run time
LES 97 21ft. towlite/06 Toyota Tocoma V6 Prerunner
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:41 AM   #14
rcr

Arguably the best way to make coffee...

www.bodumusa.com - the Bodum online shop
1983 Fun Chaser
rcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:49 PM   #15

Default AC power

I use a percolator coffee pot, as I rarely camp near AC. I like cooking my coffee. The filters can be hard to find, if you're not in percolator country, so I stock up when I find them.
This year I picked up the 60W solar kit from COSTCO, which includes an inverter for some of your 110v needs. I have a friend that uses a CPAP also, and we got him a matching battery pack for it. It's good for two nights. We charge it during the day.
firemarshal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:19 AM   #16

have never tried pressing coffee I stand by my Coleman and the cooktop as I have used it for years with an old coleman stove I converted to propane on camping trips before the Hi Lo. I too use a cpap what type of battery pack are you speaking of?

Harry
wvjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:46 PM   #17

Default AC and DC and Caffeine

I used to french press when I was backpacking. I found a lightweight lexan one. It does make a good batch of coffee. I also looked at the coleman coffeemaker at one point. It does look like the hot setup for drip coffee, but I felt it would take up too much storage room in the Hi-Lo.
I sent my friend an email about his battery pack. He checks his email about once a week! You can google 'cpap battery pack' and find packs for the machine you have. As I recall, there were two sizes available, and we chose the larger one. More expensive, but it penciled out to be better capacity for your $.
firemarshal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:55 AM   #18

Peach Cobbler is also very good in a dutch oven!

As far as boondocking, will let you know how that goes for me. Picked up a LP generator, and am looking into an inverter and another battery. Unit already has solar panels, not sure what wattage though.
kbrobins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:45 PM   #19

Default Update?

So I am curious how Neal and Bev made out. It must have been fun figuring out what worked. Personnaly camping coffee has to be done in a percolator. Pop up light the stove and get it perking and pop back into bed. Then wake up as you smell it. Also if it's 4:00 am before fishing you let it get stronger than 9:00 am the morning after a few drinks around the fire.
Dutch ovens are great - Utah is dry enough that a breeze and sweating work in place of A/C.

Rolff is offline   Reply With Quote