Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Boondocking Discussions on dry camping

Old 07-12-2011, 12:20 PM   #1

Default Boondocking and Gray Water

I have been modifying my 2208T so I can camp away from the maddening crowds.

My solution for electrical supply was the Liffan inverter generator, which I am still addressing issues with the AC.

I have concluded that the 30 gallon black water tank should be sufficient for at least four weeks for the two of us, at a gallon of black waste per day.

The gray water is also 30 gallons and it has been my experience that is is good for only about one week ... more if we really conserved, by doing our dishes in a pan and not the sink, sponge bathing, etc. On examination of the 2208T waste lines I found that the 3" black run is sufficiently long enough to cut in another shutoff valve to control only the black tank effluent, whereas the factory one is located after the junction with the gray water valve.

I have ordered a Valterra T372 Cable Actuated 3" Valve System (Amazon $64.14) because the location under the Hi-Lo would require I crawl under the trailer at the dump station if I used a manual opening valve ... which is something I DO NOT want to do. Also ordered is a Valterra T1020-1 3" termination Cap (Amazon $5.06) with 3/4 inch Threaded Connection to which I can attach a "Garden Hose" and run the gray water into a leach area away from the trailer and water sources.

I know not all states allow you to do this but California does, if not I have a Barker 32 gallon wheeled tank I bought on Craigs List for $25.00 ... I had to replace the wheels which I pulled from my junk pile.

Campthewestcoast found a used Norwesco 45223 35 Gallon Horizontal Water Tank for getting fresh water I will use for replenishing the fresh water supply ... what a deal at $30.00 ... Thanks Les!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tn_t40hcabl_hr_tif.jpg (989 Bytes, 310 views)

2007-22T TowLite 50th Anniversary
2008 Nissan Frontier SE 4X4 Crew Cab, Snug Top
NDgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:36 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

You may already know this.There is a water shut off valve on the back of the toilet, you can slow the flow down or turn it off and use a small container to add water to the toilet to keep it clean, this extends the black water tank, we went over 3 weeks and when I looked in with a flash light (sensor doesn't work) it looked like 4 weeks would be possible on our 2209. Use a tank additive reg. to control smell or the wife may be unhappy.

(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:08 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to vannooch

I just wish that I had a 30 gal gray tank, mine is only sixteen gallons! We've stretched it four days, but that's about it so far. I am considering adding a second tank, have you seen this done?
I too have a thirty gallon tote that helps but only if there is a dump station near by. I also thought about adding a rack to the rear bumper hitch on the trailer to travel with the blue tote full, not sure about the weight though. What are your thoughts on that?
Luke 1:49
vannooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:37 PM   #4

I don't think the frame is strong enough to add 200 plus pounds that far rear of the axle.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:35 PM   #5

Van

Check the space under your Hi-Lo, you may have space to install a larger gray water tank. Your RV repair center may have a larger one or you can order one form any or the online stores like: Dyers RV Permanent Holding Tanks. The connections are all ABS so installation should not be rocket science. Remember "Poop" runs down hill ... 1/4 in per Ft slope for gray water 1/2 inch per foot for black water.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:12 AM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to sting32

(ok I missread, lol)

ne way

Grey tank, is from sinks...
Black Tank, is usually only the toilet.

you can drain your grey tanks occasionally I have a drain cap with a hose connections (for a gardwn hose, and I dont recommend you use your clean water filling hose, but that has been done. You just have to be damn sure which of the levers under your camper you are pulling, I painted my handle green this year, so I wont accidently pull the one that drains the toilet (black tank), which I paint RED!.

I use my grey to wash motorcycles when boondocking... there is hardly any, but some soap from washing dishes in there, & just like I wash my car with soap in a bucket in my yard... in Kansas, I have not killed any grass to date. Might depend on where you camp, my older slide in camper drained from sink directly to ground, never got in trouble with park attendant, because it is not different than tenters washing dishes in the camp "yard" by the hose either.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDgent View Post
Van

Check the space under your Hi-Lo, you may have space to install a larger gray water tank. Your RV repair center may have a larger one or you can order one form any or the online stores like: Dyers RV Permanent Holding Tanks. The connections are all ABS so installation should not be rocket science. Remember "Poop" runs down hill ... 1/4 in per Ft slope for gray water 1/2 inch per foot for black water.
Gent,

The black tank seems large enough at the moment, I need gray water storage. It seems as though the largest gray tank that they can use in that space is being used, I was considering a "piggy back" tank in some sort of configuration. I just need to figure out the proper venting and of course the size. I looked a while ago but haven't pursued it but I believe that I'll be able to get another twenty gallons under there which will bring it up to more modern standards.

Anybody have a newer 26rd with thirty gallon waste tanks? Ipm curious if they ever had larger gray tanks and what the configuration of is.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sting32 View Post
(ok I missread, lol)

ne way

Grey tank, is from sinks...
Black Tank, is usually only the toilet.

you can drain your grey tanks occasionally I have a drain cap with a hose connections (for a gardwn hose, and I dont recommend you use your clean water filling hose, but that has been done. You just have to be damn sure which of the levers under your camper you are pulling, I painted my handle green this year, so I wont accidently pull the one that drains the toilet (black tank), which I paint RED!.

I use my grey to wash motorcycles when boondocking... there is hardly any, but some soap from washing dishes in there, & just like I wash my car with soap in a bucket in my yard... in Kansas, I have not killed any grass to date. Might depend on where you camp, my older slide in camper drained from sink directly to ground, never got in trouble with park attendant, because it is not different than tenters washing dishes in the camp "yard" by the hose either.
You can also buy biodegradable dish and shower soaps if you're concerned with dumping gray water on the ground. If in Bear country be careful not to flush food scraps down your sink. It may attract bears (or other animals) to where your hose empties!
boater454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:34 AM   #9

Vannooch,

Yes apparently they did put bigger grey water tanks and bigger black water tanks in later models. Our 96 26ft RD has 30 gallon grey tank and 30 gallon black water tank. Our 2004 31ft has 32 gallon grey tank and 32 gallon black tank. They both have same fresh water tank 30 gallon.
DebW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebW View Post
Vannooch,

Yes apparently they did put bigger grey water tanks and bigger black water tanks in later models. Our 96 26ft RD has 30 gallon grey tank and 30 gallon black water tank. Our 2004 31ft has 32 gallon grey tank and 32 gallon black tank. They both have same fresh water tank 30 gallon.
Where do they have the gray tank located? Mine is under the wardrobe area, it's a narrow space within the framing. I may be able to put a deeper one in, can you get a gray water tank size?
Old 07-15-2011, 08:55 AM   #11

Default Additional Gray water Tank

I have a 2805C model. It came with a 30 gallon gray water tank. Since we camp several times a year in camprgounds without full hookups I decided to add an additional gray water tank. Just mounted it in the underbay next to the existing gray water tank. Venting was connected to the vent piping under the shower. It is "piggy backed" and fills via the cmper's drain pipe. That was the best place for me to have it filled from. Now as water in introduced into the original gray water tank the water also fills up the new tank. Kind of hard to explain so I have photos should anyone wish to see them. Send me your e-mail and I'll send them on. But I cut the drain line and added a tee to which I piped the new tank. It works but with both tanks having water in them it does drain slower when I dump.
God Bless
Papa
Papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:02 AM   #12

That's exactly what I am planning for mine. Papa I sent you a pm
Old 07-16-2011, 07:35 PM   #13

I have looked at the space available for additional water storage between the girders under my 2207T and there is none! The gray water tank on my Hi-Lo is a non-stock item in that it has a channel molded into it to allow the rear cables to pass through to the ram which is located between the axles; so it would be expensive to have a one-of custom tank built in order to hang a larger one in it's place.