Boondocking Discussions on dry camping

Old 06-05-2015, 07:52 PM   #1

Default Boondocking at the Walmart

Pittston PA

Tennessee/Greenest state in the land of the free
moonstruckblog.wordpress.com
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:35 PM   #2

Not trying to tell you what to do but you might want to bring those chairs in, Don. It's considered bad etiquette:

Overnight Parking Etiquette | Walmart Locator

Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 08:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckydog671 View Post
Not trying to tell you what to do but you might want to bring those chairs in, Don. It's considered bad etiquette:

Overnight Parking Etiquette | Walmart Locator
Yeah, I know. They had just come out of the camper, were folded. leaning against the camper. We then stored them in the Suburban. The light of day was leaving, so shot the picture to take advantage of that.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:05 PM   #4

Nice shade.

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Yeah, I know. They had just come out of the camper, were folded. leaning against the camper. We then stored them in the Suburban. The light of day was leaving, so shot the picture to take advantage of that.
As I've never actually overnighted at a Wal*Mart as of yet, let us know how it went. Hoping to try it myself at some point.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:09 PM   #6

Gregg, it was easy. We had to cut our trip to Canada short because of Lou's flair up of Rheumatoid arthritis. The cool, damp weather up north didn't help. We laid over in Maine a couple of extra days, but it didn't help. So we beat a fast trip home. Going by Scranton PA we asked "Funky Lady", the voice in our RV GPS to find campgrounds. The pickings were slim. So, we asked her to find a Walmart Super Center. She did a few miles down the road at Pittston, and just off the exit. I went to the service desk to ask if they allowed overnight RVs. The lady said sure do just park near the lower edge of the parking lot. The next morning there were an AirStream and a class B parked near us. It is so quick, and easy. Don't unhook. Do your shopping, and leave in about 15 minutes. No check in or out. Usually near an exit, and no cost. We were in a hurry to get home, so stayed in a Walmart Super Center at Bristol, VA last night. Home now.

All in all we drove over 3200 miles. We drove some long days, so left the fridge on propane. Even with the 12 volt fan on, it didn't cool all that well. We didn't lose any food, but wouldn't want to do it often.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Gregg, it was easy. We had to cut our trip to Canada short because of Lou's flair up of Rheumatoid arthritis. The cool, damp weather up north didn't help. We laid over in Maine a couple of extra days, but it didn't help. So we beat a fast trip home. Going by Scranton PA we asked "Funky Lady", the voice in our RV GPS to find campgrounds. The pickings were slim. So, we asked her to find a Walmart Super Center. She did a few miles down the road at Pittston, and just off the exit. I went to the service desk to ask if they allowed overnight RVs. The lady said sure do just park near the lower edge of the parking lot. The next morning there were an AirStream and a class B parked near us. It is so quick, and easy. Don't unhook. Do your shopping, and leave in about 15 minutes. No check in or out. Usually near an exit, and no cost. We were in a hurry to get home, so stayed in a Walmart Super Center at Bristol, VA last night. Home now.

All in all we drove over 3200 miles. We drove some long days, so left the fridge on propane. Even with the 12 volt fan on, it didn't cool all that well. We didn't lose any food, but wouldn't want to do it often.
Hi Don,

Sorry to hear your trip was cut short and hope Lou feels better soon!

Thanks for the Wal*Mart info- sounds pretty easy. You drove a lot of miles in a short time so rest up!
Old 06-07-2015, 06:44 PM   #8

We have stayed at many Wal-marts, Tenn, ga, La, Tx, Az, NM.etc.....
Have met some very nice people.
Clean up after your dogs, don't litter, Don't set up like you are staying.(out-door chairs, awning)

Most people stay after a hard day of driving and are making time. In and out at your leisure. Much better than spending $40 and spend 8 hours there.

We appreciate that WM does this for travelers.

There are WM that do NOT allow over night stays. The closest one to my home doesn't. Tourist areas with WM often do not. Conflicting city/govt ordinances.

Can't hurt to ask!
kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:09 PM   #9

+1 for thanking Walmart.

On another note: I will be cleaning up the trailer tomorrow, and taking it back to Chattanooga for storage. I phoned the new Cabella's at I-75 and Cloud Springs Rd. (the last Georgia exit going north from the Georgia Welcome Center). They confirmed that they do have a dump station. How nice!

Don
Old 07-06-2015, 05:58 PM   #10

A week after getting our 79 hilo, (March 2015) we took a trip to Va from Co, stopping at Walmarts along the way. My advice is: have black-out curtains available, the parking lots are well lit!

2179 HiLo

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
iamgailmichelle is offline   Reply With Quote