Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Lifestyle > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Boondocking Discussions on dry camping

Old 08-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #1

Default Laptop

Well I'm back with another question. After reading some of your suggestions I the first thing I did was replace all my bulbs with LEDs and I'm very happy with the results. We're not really boondocking just going to parks with no hookups. Most have at least pit toilets and water. So we run the frig on gas and we have a couple of plastic jugs for water. So we don't fill the water tank or use the pump. We heat water for showers on our stove and have a neat little battery(3D batteries) operated pump with a shower head for showers. We don't run the furnace or air. So we're in pretty good shape. What we do kind of miss is being able to watch movies on our laptop. Any suggestions. We'd probably only be at a non electric site for 3 or 4 nights. I'm not a techy so I need something simple. Also I don't want to run a generator. I was a musician for 36 years and so when I'm out in the woods I want it quiet. Even the quiet ones bother me when they're in the adjacent site. Sorry generator people it's just the my feeling. What are my best simple options? The more I read the more confused I get. Was looking at one these rechargeable battery packs but the reviews sure give them mixed reviews. So that's my story. Any suggestions? The simpler the better.
Thanks for your help.

Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:44 PM   #2

Default solar

If you are just running off of battery supplied power for your trailer, you might be able to get by with using a solar panel to keep your battery topped off during the day hours and then it will be replenished for your night time use such as lights, water pump, laptop for a movie, etc... Here is a solar panel system from Harbor Freight that I was looking into possibly getting for that same purpose. I think if you watch the ads it sometimes goes on sale down to around $150 also.

Solar Panel Kit - Save on this 45 Watt Solar Panel Kit

Old 08-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #3

Charging your laptop should not drain the battery that much. The most efficient way is to get a 12 VDC charger for the laptop. A less expensive way may be to get a small inverter, and plug your laptop's charger to it.

The charger or inverter should plug into a cigarette lighter socket. You may have to install one in the trailer if you don't already have one. If you do any driving around while you are camping, you can also take the laptop and plug the 12 VDC charger in your tow vehicle or inverter to the cigarette lighter socket as you travel.

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:08 PM   #4

Default another option

is to purchase an extra laptop battery; then ensure they're both fully charged before leaving home.
Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:21 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Another option....

Search results for: 'inverter'
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton Rider View Post
Charging your laptop should not drain the battery that much. The most efficient way is to get a 12 VDC charger for the laptop. A less expensive way may be to get a small inverter, and plug your laptop's charger to it.

The charger or inverter should plug into a cigarette lighter socket. You may have to install one in the trailer if you don't already have one. If you do any driving around while you are camping, you can also take the laptop and plug the 12 VDC charger in your tow vehicle or inverter to the cigarette lighter socket as you travel.
When we camp we are usually out exploring during the day, driving around for some of it so we have always down as Raul suggested and plugged the laptop into and Inverter as we drive. We didn't watch movies so I don't know how far that drains the laptop.

Rolff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backup kpower, battery, laptop