Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Boondocking Discussions on dry camping

Old 08-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #1

Default Lights

We've had our 2000 HiLo for about 4 years and have camped almost exclusively at campsites with electric and water hookups. Since there are so many nice non-hookup sites we want to try some dry camping. We will run the refrigerator on gas and won't use the furnace, water pump or air. My question is how long can I use the interior lights without running the battery down for lifting the top and lifting the hitch. We have a brand new Northern 24V Deep Cycle battery in our unit. Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks

Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
We've had our 2000 HiLo for about 4 years and have camped almost exclusively at campsites with electric and water hookups. Since there are so many nice non-hookup sites we want to try some dry camping. We will run the refrigerator on gas and won't use the furnace, water pump or air. My question is how long can I use the interior lights without running the battery down for lifting the top and lifting the hitch. We have a brand new Northern 24V Deep Cycle battery in our unit. Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks
Barry, we own a 2408T and have LED lightbulbs installed in all the lights. We also have two, group 24 batteries. With this setup we've been able to camp for 3 days/2 nights without running the batteries down. During that time we used the stereo whenever we were in the trailer and not asleep. We also took one shower each (2 total) and rand the furnance for about 1-hour each morning to warm things up. Keep in mind that this includes raising/lowering the trailer, as well as extending and retracting the tip-out couch area.

Before leaving the house we ran the refrigerator on 110V overnight to get it cold and we ran it on 12 VDC during the 300 mile drive to the campground. I have not increased the gauge of the power wire on my truck.

I think we would have been OK camping for one or two more nights.

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton Rider View Post
Barry, we own a 2408T and have LED lightbulbs installed in all the lights. We also have two, group 24 batteries. With this setup we've been able to camp for 3 days/2 nights without running the batteries down. During that time we used the stereo whenever we were in the trailer and not asleep. We also took one shower each (2 total) and rand the furnance for about 1-hour each morning to warm things up. Keep in mind that this includes raising/lowering the trailer, as well as extending and retracting the tip-out couch area.

Before leaving the house we ran the refrigerator on 110V overnight to get it cold and we ran it on 12 VDC during the 300 mile drive to the campground. I have not increased the gauge of the power wire on my truck.

I think we would have been OK camping for one or two more nights.
Barry,
First off -Our philosophy of camping is less luxurious than many since we slept many a night in small tents and I am always looking for the least expensive solution. That being said We have a '95 21TL and have gone for 5 days before our 12V deep cycle wouldn't run the lights or pump for flushing. We do the same as Norton Rider with the fridge- I think in other threads they don't recommend the 12V while traveling unless a heavier gauge wire was installed but we did. Our fridge does not have an automatic fan, we ran the furnace one night since we got snowed on, then moved down in altitude. Mainly the lights and pump were the only things running on 12V. We now take a couple of little battery lanterns and some nice 24 LED flashlights from Harbor freight that we use. We now have an extra fully charged deep cycle battery ($65 from Costco) that we take with us. Now if the pump seems sluggish I just swap batteries. So I think we can get 10 days since it would just be the pump - If we converted to LED bulbs as Raul did they would be barely drain any power.
Rolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
Site Team

Barry, notice that Raul said he has TWO batteries (in parallel) which gives twice the longevity of your single battery. Note also he has replaced all his 15W interior lights with LEDs, that together use about the power of ONE of the lights he replaced. You're stuck with using the water pump if you use trailer water, the refrigerator fan to help keep things cool and if you use the furnace, the furnace fan.

I think you need a way to charge your battery each day with your setup. I have a 1000W generator that I run each day for about 1-2 hours (plugged into the shore power cord so that it uses the on board converter to recharge the batteries (I have two, like Raul, and all my lights are LEDs too). Like him, I could easily go 3 days without charging if I was careful, but it's not good for a battery to take it down to a low charge state.

I saw a very nice generator in Ace Hardware the other day. I think it was rated 2000W and was less than $500 I think. They can be found online too, as well as in other stores. Try to find one that's quiet though - you don't want to spoil the outdoors experience. Mine is rated at 54 dB, about the level of a person speaking.

- Jack
Old 08-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #5

So now I am curious - Do the newer HiLos use a lot more power than the older ones or is it just us. Do you know Jack? Our fridge doesn't have any fans inside or on the coils. We usually do a few dishes at the end of the day, We wash and brush our teeth AM and PM and flush the average amount and we always get more than 3 days battery life with our single 12V.
PopRichie has the same trailer as I do plus a newer one - 2005 I think. I wonder if he has noticed.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolff View Post
So now I am curious - Do the newer HiLos use a lot more power than the older ones or is it just us.
I don't think that the new ones use more power. On the contrary, we now can replace the lights with LEDs and replace the stereos with modern ones that draw less power.

I haven't camped more than 2 nights in the Hi-Lo. My previous trailer was a 20' Shasta built in the late 70s. I use to use it as a base of operations when dirt bike riding for days at a time. I had two group 31 batteries in it and I would camp for 5-6 nights. The loads were lights, stereo, heater fan (used sparingly) and water pump for showers and dish washing. Obviously, I did not have a lift pump to worry about.

I realize that batteries are supposed to last longer when not drained too much, but I never worried about this on my previous RVs or my boat. I just drained them as long as I needed to. In 5 years of owning my previous trailer I never had to replace the batteries. On my boat, the batteries have lasted 6+ years with similar treatment. They are two 6 Volt golf cart, lead-acid, generic brand, batteries. My wife and I have often spent 3-4 days at anchor, with a 12 VDC refrigerator, stereo, water pump (showers, washing), lights, etc. Moreover, after 6 years I took the batteries to a battery shop. The electrolyte specific gravity tested spot on, and the batteries passed load tests with flying colors.

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:03 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolff View Post
So now I am curious - Do the newer HiLos use a lot more power than the older ones or is it just us. Do you know Jack? Our fridge doesn't have any fans inside or on the coils. We usually do a few dishes at the end of the day, We wash and brush our teeth AM and PM and flush the average amount and we always get more than 3 days battery life with our single 12V.
PopRichie has the same trailer as I do plus a newer one - 2005 I think. I wonder if he has noticed.
Maybe it's just us, or, maybe I went through a few bad batteries. Before I replaced the interior lights with LEDs, we would turn on a maximum of two at night, never ran the ceiling fan, did run the refrigerator fan but cooled it using propane, and of course used the water pump anytime we used trailer water (not that much really). I could tell the battery was pretty weak after two nights. I DID have a factory installed stereo/tv that never turned completely off - when I found this out I installed an on-off switch in the power supply wire. That little vampire draw would drain the battery in two weeks, by itself.

The generator has made prolonged boondocking possible. Last year I did it for over two weeks, in a visit to four National Parks and Monuments, plus campsites along the way.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:06 PM   #8

I can replace my lights with LEDs also. I have on a couple but like an idiot ordered some the wrong size. So I am not sure why people on many threads have said they only get 2-3 days on a battery. Of course we don't flush as much when boondocking.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #9

Default Lights

Barry,
You have received several good replies. All in all it is what you find works best for you. I can only relay our experiences and you can gleem what you will from what works for us. We have a 2805C.
One of our favorite camp grounds has no hooks ups. So I added a second battery (in paralell) and changed out most of the interior and some exterior lights with LED lights (that is a big part of conserving power). We use the water heater and refrigerator on gas. We have never used the furnance but rely on cooking breakfast to help warm up the Hi Lo on cold mornings. We use the water pump to provide usuable water needs. I use camp ground facilities (shower and toilet) some to conserve power. I don't have a generator but I'm not above connecting my truck up and recharging the batteries if needed. We haven't had to limit our stay in non hook up campgrounds based on battery power but rather on the black water tank capacity (that's another reason to use the camp ground facilities), I added an additional gray water tank that doubled that capacity but once again if you use campground facilities it helps. We also found that washing dishes outside conserves putting water in your tank.
Doing the above we have camped without hook ups for two weeks. You have to conserve and keep watching use of power. During those two weeks I may have connected to the truck twice to recharge the batteries.
Also one thing I do in keep track of battery power. On our camper there is a 12v cigerette lighter type outlet. I bought a plug with two wires coming out of it. I plug than in and connect a meter to the wires and measure the power in the battery. If I see it's getting low I hook up the truck and run it for an hour or so.
Hope this helps and know if you go into this trying to conserve you'll do fine.
God Bless
Papa
Papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:18 PM   #10

Default Thanks

Saw the post this morning before it received any posts to it and thought can't wait to see some of the answers these folks come up with and I was right.
Thanks everyone for sharing a lot of great info.

Later Tim & Nancy & a dog that wants to go camping again.
69hilo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:55 AM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Thanks
Barry,

It has been years since we dry docked in one of our [3] HiLo's we have owned in the past. At that time, I always took along a cumbersome generator to keep the batteries charged. Six years ago we dry-docked on the western slope of the San Juan mountains north of Pagosa Springs, CO. in a brand new 5th wheel. I had just spent a fortune on a deep cycle marine battery and had installed a 2nd battery using battery isolators to keep in reserve should the deep cycle fail. The electronics on the new RV would drain the deep cycle battery overnight. After charging it during the day, my wife would read with one light on at night and every morning the battery was almost dead. The 'refer' was on propane so the only draw was the electronics, normal use of the pump, and night lights used sparingly. I used a portable solar cell during the day to try to keep the battery charged to no avail.

HiLo's do not require all those electronics as the new 5th wheels and when power is conserved and lights changed to LED's as several on this post have done, the batteries should last for several days without draining the power.

I am a believer in using battery isolators and only one battery at a time for power so you will always have a backup. A small generator running for a couple of hours and/or portable solar generator charging during daylight hours should be sufficient to maintain a good charge for nighttime and water pump usage. Regardless, it is always wise to be prepared for when dry docking if something can go wrong, it usually will. I also always carry jumper cables for emergencies.

Happy Camping.

Jerry Curtis
Fredericksburg, TX
jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:30 PM   #12

Jerry,
That's what I was wondering about. My '95 Tow Lite doesn't have any electronics, nothing to tell me if the tanks are full, no automatic fans, no stereo, no drain on the batteries other than lights and pump. I would rather not have those things than have to carry a generator.
I have a battery isolator too. It is isolated sitting in the back of my truck in a battery box, not attached to anything. I take it with me in my fishing boat too.
Ralph
Old 08-14-2013, 01:41 PM   #13

Ralph,

We have a 2006 TL 22ft. Over the 4th of July weekend, we boondocked for 5 days and ended up having about a 50% charge on the batteries at the end of 5 days.

We ran 2 fans (it was 100 degrees), the water pump for the toilet, sink and daily showers, and the frig fan, in addition to overhead lights for 5 days. We didn't alter our daily power usage because we were camping with people that had generators, so it was available if needed, but we had no need for the generators.

Our setup: We have a number of LED lightbulbs in the fixtures, and preferred to use them. We are running 2 12V deep cycle batteries in parallel. We have a solar battery charger that provides a trickle charge to top off the batteries. (I have also noticed that the batteries are currently not keeping a full charge so they are getting weak)

We also cool the frig on AC for 24 hours before leaving the house.

Note: We ALWAYS carry jumper cables. If the trailer house batteries get too low, we jump the trailer with the truck in order to lower the top or to raise the top.
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by campthewestcoast View Post
Ralph,

We have a 2006 TL 22ft. Over the 4th of July weekend, we boondocked for 5 days and ended up having about a 50% charge on the batteries at the end of 5 days.

We ran 2 fans (it was 100 degrees), the water pump for the toilet, sink and daily showers, and the frig fan, in addition to overhead lights for 5 days. We didn't alter our daily power usage because we were camping with people that had generators, so it was available if needed, but we had no need for the generators.

Our setup: We have a number of LED lightbulbs in the fixtures, and preferred to use them. We are running 2 12V deep cycle batteries in parallel. We have a solar battery charger that provides a trickle charge to top off the batteries. (I have also noticed that the batteries are currently not keeping a full charge so they are getting weak)

We also cool the frig on AC for 24 hours before leaving the house.

Note: We ALWAYS carry jumper cables. If the trailer house batteries get too low, we jump the trailer with the truck in order to lower the top or to raise the top.
So in other words - there seems to be no real hard and fast rules. So be prepared. I would like a solar charger set up. I always carry the jumper cables in my truck too, As well as about everything else imaginable. Rock hammer, shovel, tree saw, soap, sun block, toilet seat covers, ad infinitum. My wife thinks I am crazy.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #15

Smile

you may be able to charge your battery off you truck with jumper cables.. I ran my battery down and had to jump it off my truck to raise top.... lowered it to do something and than could not get it up.. worked fine...
paulsot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:39 PM   #16

we have a 1991 towlite, tried to replace our bulbs with led and it would just blow the fuse, which is a 15 amp. Any suggestions?? Or is it even possible?
betty stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by betty stevens View Post
we have a 1991 towlite, tried to replace our bulbs with led and it would just blow the fuse, which is a 15 amp. Any suggestions?? Or is it even possible?
Led bulbs use a 10th of the power of a reg. light bulb so it shouldn't blow fuses. If the base fits in the socket but the contacts are different it will blow fuses. What make & model # is the led bulb are you using? I'm using #5050107 which they sale on amazon.com. Fuses are rated in amps and bulbs are rated in watts. Can you post pictures of the light bulb socket including the contacts and the light bulb with the type of contacts on the end?
Old 09-12-2013, 03:44 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Maybe it's just us, or, maybe I went through a few bad batteries. Before I replaced the interior lights with LEDs, we would turn on a maximum of two at night, never ran the ceiling fan, did run the refrigerator fan but cooled it using propane, and of course used the water pump anytime we used trailer water (not that much really). I could tell the battery was pretty weak after two nights. I DID have a factory installed stereo/tv that never turned completely off - when I found this out I installed an on-off switch in the power supply wire. That little vampire draw would drain the battery in two weeks, by itself.

The generator has made prolonged boondocking possible. Last year I did it for over two weeks, in a visit to four National Parks and Monuments, plus campsites along the way.

- Jack
You can put a ceiling fan in the Hi-Lo? Is it a ceiling hugger? I gotta get me one of those!
Mike M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:42 AM   #19

Thank for the info will order some right now!! Is it possible to attach a lamp shade to this bulb??
betty stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:54 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by betty stevens View Post
Thank for the info will order some right now!! Is it possible to attach a lamp shade to this bulb??
I would order just one right now, to make sure you like the lumens(brightness) and kelvin(color of the light). This led light bulb worked in my undercabinet mounted lights. I didn't have a surface mounted light with a lamp shade.You can not attach the lamp shade onto this bulb, you would have to fabricate a bracket so the lamp shade could be mounted differrently to clear the new led bulb.

Tags
battery, dry camping, lights

« Laptop | 87 hi lo »