Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles Discussions about tow vehicles, tow systems, hitching, leveling, jacks and more.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:32 PM   #1

Default 2003 Honda Odyssey

I called Uhaul the other day, and they told me that the hitch I had installed last year only tows up to 3500 lbs. I called to ask them some questions, as the Hi-Lo I just purchased supposedly weighs 3590 lbs. They told me there is another hitch with weight distribution that will make my minivan able to tow up to 5000 lbs!!! I thought this was pretty cool, so the quote was for $185. Not sure if that includes the "weight distributor" as I have no idea what that is.

I posted this in case anyone was wondering, or if someone wants to enlighten me and tell me I'm (UHaul) is wrong. ??

1987 Hi-Lo FunChaser
2006 Chevy Silverado
SeaGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:15 PM   #2

Everything that I can find shows that the 2003 Odyssey has a 3500 towing capacity. This has nothing to do with the hitch. It is the max capacity of the vehicle. If you are referring to the trailer's max gross weight you may be able to tow it by not loading it as much and not filling the water tank. You should probably get a weight distributing hitch to ensure that the Odyssey is level.

Raul

Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:10 AM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaGypsy View Post
I called Uhaul the other day, and they told me that the hitch I had installed last year only tows up to 3500 lbs. I called to ask them some questions, as the Hi-Lo I just purchased supposedly weighs 3590 lbs. They told me there is another hitch with weight distribution that will make my minivan able to tow up to 5000 lbs!!! I thought this was pretty cool, so the quote was for $185. Not sure if that includes the "weight distributor" as I have no idea what that is.

I posted this in case anyone was wondering, or if someone wants to enlighten me and tell me I'm (UHaul) is wrong. ??

SeaGypsy,

You gave the weight of your Hilo as 3590 lbs.; use the formula below to determine your present status.

Your GVWR for a Honda Odyssey is 8,160 lbs.

Your Odyssey Curb Weight [empty] is 4,310 lbs.

Your Hi Lo Weight [empty] is 3,590 lbs.

Your Combined Empty Weight would be 7,900 lbs.

Your available load limit [passengers & cargo] 260 lbs.

In the formula above, it appears when they installed your hitch it was a Class 2 hitch with a maximum towing limit of 3500 lbs. Unless your Hi Lo weighs less than 3500 lbs., you need a Class 3 hitch with a towing limit of 5,000 lbs. Regardless of whether you have a towing limit of 5,000 lbs., you must consider the overall loaded weight of your tow vehicle and trailer which should not exceed 8,160 lbs. If I figured this correctly, you would be exceeding the GVWR of your Honda Odyssey if both your van and trailer were empty and your load was just you and passengers weighing 260 lbs. Add another 60-70 pounds for a load distribution hitch and you could barely meet the GVWR limit with just you driving an empty van and Hi Lo.

I would suggest you consider trading up to a tow vehicle with a much greater GVWR. With your present arrangement, you will be unable to safely tow a loaded vehicle and Hi Lo.

I hope this helps.

Jerry Curtis 2406 T
2000 F250 Super Duty, 4x4, ext. cab, 7.3L Diesel
jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:24 PM   #4

Adding a little levity to the subject, here is what happens when you exceed your towing limit.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:48 PM   #5
gus

RichR, that video was funny to watch, I saw this video also and i couldn't believe a front wheel drive ford can do this
gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #6

Thanks everyone. I guess I'm looking for a new tow vehicle now.

1987 Hi-Lo FunChaser
2006 Chevy Silverado
Old 04-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #7

Try to find something that has a tow limit of at least 7000 pounds and has a tow package. That way you will be able to comfortably tow the HiLo with a decent amount of cargo in both the trailer and the tow vehicle, and have power left for pulling hills without straining the engine and drive train. If you pack light a Tacoma would get you by, they have a 6300 to 6500 pound tow limit when properly equipped. We towed our 2310H with a 2007 Tacoma CrewCab with no difficulty. Otherwise it would probably need to be a medium size SUV or a full size pickup. There should probably be quite a few used ones on the lots.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:54 AM   #8

This is a good resource page:

Tow Ratings Database - Tow Vehicle Ratings | Camping Life Magazine

Keep in mind that not all vehicles of the same year/model/engine have the same tow rating. Often manufacturer's quote the highest rating and this is dependent on optional equipment or equipment packages that include things such as transmission cooler, oil cooler, HD radiator, etc.

Raul
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #9

Gypsy

If you like the idea of vans-keep your eye out for used full size vans. They do not hold their value well so you could probably find one with less than 60K for MUCH less than you could find a pickup of the same year and mileage. I'm talking those people carrying vans or work vans---not the conversion vans. The others are usually 2500-3500 series (chevy--ford is 250-350) which would give you a ton (literally) of carrying capacity.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:18 PM   #10

Default Thanks everyone!!!

I am getting ready to sell my 1997 Coleman tent trailer, and then I am going to see if a dealer will give me enough money towards my 2003 Honda Odyssey. I will be searching for a new tow vehicle, and your posts have helped a lot. If anyone comes across an ad, price range up to $5000 for a van, truck or SUV, let me know

1987 Hi-Lo FunChaser
2006 Chevy Silverado
Old 04-20-2013, 02:51 AM   #11
sam

Default selling popup and car

My best guess is if you can sell your items on your own you would get more $.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote