Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles Discussions about tow vehicles, tow systems, hitching, leveling, jacks and more.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:01 PM   #41
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnottyRig View Post
Thanks Jack.

So the water was forward of the axle before moving it, and now more centered/closer to axle?

Makes me wonder what the engineers were thinkin!

Good info and insight on this thread.
Knotty, I've been out of touch (camping up in Colorado) so I'm a bit late getting back to you.

My fresh water tank is just behind the front of the trailer (and I suspect this is where most of them are). In my trailer, this puts it about halfway between the hitch coupler and the trailer axle. So, filling it with 300# of water, adds about 150# to the tongue weight. Before the axle was moved, it was more than halfway to the coupler.

After weighing things with the original setup. I used the things I'd learned in college regarding weights and moment arms and determined I could move the axle 3" and it would help a bunch.

The trailer tows beautifully now.

- Jack

JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:37 AM   #42

What were Engineer thinking..!!!!Oh here's a place

the 1/2 ton /3/4 ton .delima....Size matters on tower and towie... and a Major factor is where ya gona tow...Mountains go bigger...flat lander not as big a deal.

My Texas flat land to Texas hill country..My std cab 05 Silverado 4.8 V8 auto Tows my 22td like it aint back there...Stops great due to elect brakes on trailer...No more Calif/az Mountains for me..with Big Dodge Diesel/with 30f trailer and it towed it like a dream

just my 2c

cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote