Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles Discussions about tow vehicles, tow systems, hitching, leveling, jacks and more.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:34 PM   #1

Default Calculating weights

Seems I saw a similar discussion somewhere around here, but cannot locate it now. So, I'm figuring on doing the following:

Will weigh the tv with no trailer attached. Next, will weigh combined rig-

Combined weight - TV weight= trailer weight. correct?

Next: Truck off the scale with trailer on the scale should give me a weight that is less than trailer weight- the difference being the tongue weight. yes?

or- truck on the scale and trailer off should give me a weight greater than truck alone-with difference being the tongue weight- more or less?

Trying to avoid going to the trouble of weighing tongue alone and dropping and re-hooking trailer while on the scales. Scales are just a few miles away so I can drop by and weigh truck then run home and pick up trailer. Other than calculating weight of a gallon of gas or two I should be in the ball park.

Unless I am missing something obvious-which is not obvious to me so far, obviously.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:34 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltool View Post
Seems I saw a similar discussion somewhere around here, but cannot locate it now. So, I'm figuring on doing the following:

Will weigh the tv with no trailer attached. Next, will weigh combined rig-

Combined weight - TV weight= trailer weight. correct?

Next:

truck on the scale and trailer off should give me a weight greater than truck alone-with difference being the tongue weight- more or less?

Trying to avoid going to the trouble of weighing tongue alone and dropping and re-hooking trailer while on the scales. Scales are just a few miles away so I can drop by and weigh truck then run home and pick up trailer. Other than calculating weight of a gallon of gas or two I should be in the ball park.

Unless I am missing something obvious-which is not obvious to me so far, obviously.

Rick
I removed one the other 3 are enough, but all should work ok

(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:57 PM   #3
Site Team

Your methods are correct. Either of the two ways you show to get the tongue weight should work. You can also buy a tongue weight scale from Sherline if you want the most accurate measurement, which is what I did.

- Jack
Old 04-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #4

Thanks jack and Rich

I'm interested in the tongue weight just to insure i am where I think I need to be to get a WDH and I figure this method would be good enough to get me in the ball park. I also want to know where I am right now with weight for the trailer and then I can calculate pretty well as I fill it up..

Mostly I am just trying to keep myself busy until I can use it. I haven't been able to even get it in a good enough space to flush the lines and clear out the antifreeze--so I have been playing around with little stuff like the batteries etc. Also- just got the aging F-150 back from some needed but relatively costly maintenance---so she has just been sitting in the drive.

I assume I will have to flush the lines into the tanks then take it to a dump station . Oh well- good way to make sure the tanks are not leaking.

Rick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hi lo 1.jpg (64.9 KB, 11 views)

4x4
Old 04-28-2012, 09:54 PM   #5
Site Team

You can certainly take it to a dump station, but I honestly would not worry about doing so to empty the grey water tank. The antifreeze is not "toxic", like the stuff in radiators and the soapy water from the sinks or shower will be good for plants. And, there's really no reason to flush the toilet supply line before you set out on a camping trip since you're not going to drink or bathe in that water.

When I clean the antifreeze out of mine, I just run it to the nearest tree.

Anybody think I'm doing something wrong? If so, tell me why. Grey water recycling has become a rather big deal here in Tucson, to save water.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:53 PM   #6

Good point. What IS that antifreeze made from?

4x4
Old 04-29-2012, 03:06 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

If you would post the trailer and tongue weight.
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltool View Post
Good point. What IS that antifreeze made from?
The only ingredient on the label is ethyl alcohol. The FDA says it is "safe".

- Jack
Old 04-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #9

I'll dump it on my weeds, then.

Took the truck over to get weighed- not surprisingly, it weighed about the same as it did about 10 years ago except for being about 40 lbs heavier----which I might personally have had something to do with.

Thanks, again.

4x4
Old 04-29-2012, 06:14 PM   #10

Took trailer to get weighed, too. Truck was 5460 with me in it. Truck and trailer and me a was 9480. That makes the trailer 4020 with two full propane batteries, awning, two group 24 batteries, dometic air conditioner, jacks and atwood power hitch crank. No other stuff and tanks empty.

pulled tuck off and left trailer attached and on scale and got 3500 which puts my tongue weight at just about 520 which is close to 13% of total trailer weight. So- figuring an outside possibility of 200 lb behind the truck wheels in the bed ( which would be a fair amount on a short bed) I'm thinking a wdh rated for 800lb tongue weight is about right. 1000 might be a bit stiff.

Then I ran her down the interstate and she pulled pretty sweet- with some bucking after rougher pavement .........not bad but more than I want.

I got to tune that ole F150, though, as I just watched the gas needle drop. She is only getting 14 in general these days.....so I' thinking 11 to 12 towing.

One quick question--- I got it out of the drive and across the street in a neighbors gravel drive and it is a bit unlevel side to side. How bad is this if refrigerator is not running?

4x4
Old 04-29-2012, 07:35 PM   #11
Site Team

You only need the trailer level if the refrigerator IS running, and it doesn't have to be "perfect", just pretty close to level when you DO run the fridge.

I think your choice of using the 800# WD hitch is absolutely correct. You didn't have fresh water in the tank, but if you do, that's going to add to the hitch load. And, you're going to put a few things in the trailer when you go camping too.

I tend to average about 12.6 mpg when I'm towing our 1707T with our F150. I do have a cap on the truck though and it's a 4x4 super crew cab, so it's not light.

- Jack